Which is Cheaper??

RCL doesn't discount so I book directly with them. IF a travel agent will give me a perk like pre paid gratuity then I'll let them take over the reservation just before final payment. I hold onto it myself until just before final payment so I can make changes as desired especially if the price goes down.

I use a Travel Agent that specializes in cruises. I like the one on one relationship that I have built with him over the past decade. I like the personalized service and I always do better will him then directly with Royal Caribbean.

RCL doesn't discount so I book directly with them. IF a travel agent will give me a perk like pre paid gratuity then I'll let them take over the reservation just before final payment. I hold onto it myself until just before final payment so I can make changes as desired especially if the price goes down.

That's all what TAs are good for, seriously.

a) I had a bad experience with a TA once.

b) I gave 25 TAs another chance this year by submitting quotes on an even basis. Most of them didn't come through. The rest? The handfull of dollars in OBC was not worse the insecurity.

c) I still gave a TA another chance by quoting me one particular cruise. It was a slam dunk sale. That was 2 days ago. I am still waiting for a quote.

And she promised me how quick they respond, and they are there for me...yeah yeah yeah....:D

Obviously TAs are to spoiled. I won't even try in the future anymore. I've done group cruises before, my cruises, don't need a TA. :p

I get a lot of online travel agency newsletters, and scan them all for deals I am interested in. If there is a great price, I check RCCL's web site, then call my trusty TA.

We've been with her since 1997, and she IS trustworthy and always follow through on everything. Before RCCL banned TAs from discounting cruises she would always discount her commission, because we sent so much business her way, it was her way of thanking us. Now we get a bottle of wine or some goodies.

So, subscribe to the online newsletters for specials, check the RCCL online coupons, check for a price drop. That's the way to get the best price, IMO.

I always do my homework first in regards to a cruise, price, etc. Then I give my TA a call and she not only books it but also takes care of little things like dining times, trans, etc. She has also found discounts and specials that I would never have thought to ask the RCI person. I do save money using her. I also have someone on my side during the whole process. She's double checking the prices and calling in if there is a reduction. She's been the one to help me keep my sanity when my birth certificate was missing years ago and we were cruising to Alaska. She's told me to list her as the emergency person, especially when my dad was so ill. She's also the one I've asked many questions of for almost everything cruise related. When I hear of problems with TA's, I'm thinking they're associated with big cruise companies. Later. Robin :cool:

always through our TA. I would feel lost without her. Her perks are terrific and always takes care of us beautifully. Our land vacations....the same.

When we were stranded with an extra day at sea a few years ago (hurricane), she re-did our flights, transportation, hotel and even rented us a car in miami for the following day. We don't know what we would have done without her, all it took was a couple of e-mails from the ship and it was all done.

Happy New Year :)

I've always used a TA for all my travel (not just cruises). I did book our last cruise directly with RCI, it was a last minute thing on a prized cabin that became available. I was on RCI's website and made the call right then and there. A little later I turned the booking over to my TA. Even though they can't discount they can offer OBC etc.

Hmm, maybe I'll try to find me a good travel agent for my next vacation! Didn't realize they would still get a commission and a little extra comp/discount/OBC for me would be nice!

Thanks for explaining. :)

I wouldn't trade my t/a for anything. We have had to change cruises, dates, ships many times and with a quick email they find just what we need. They check for price changes and if I read something on here I just email them and they check it out and send me a revised lower invoice. We even get goodies from them for sailaway which we put in the frig to save for later.

We have done two onboard sailings and had rccl transfer them right over to our agent which is in their system. I have heard others remind people that if you do switch to your t/a to make sure rccl has the correct one in the system.

Hope you find a great cruise! Happy New Year.

Archived