Sunscreen? What is your favorite brand and SPF?

Summers

Hi all, I am a sunscreen fanatic and I am always trying new brands but I am still on the hunt for the "perfect" sunscreen.

I prefer an SPF over 30, and one of my big peeves with sunscreen is that it feels heavy and goopy on, which is even worse in hot weather. :P

What are your favorites?

For my face and body, I'm still searching for a favorite. When I thought I found a fave last year, I discovered that it took the dye off the handles of my expensive leather handbag because I'm constanly replenishing the sunblock on the hands. (fortunately, the company replaced the handles for free).

However, for my eyes, I found one I love. (the ones for face burn if they migrate towards the eye) which is DDF. It's only a 15 SPF and I wish it were higher, however, it's the only one I've found that doesn't burn my eyes.

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P21255&categoryId=B70

I like the Coppertone Sport GEL SPF 30. It's really hard to find, though. I can find the lotion easily... but not the gel. The gel goes on great, is absorbed into the skin with NO residue or greasiness. And best of all... it WORKS. It's waterproof, too.

If you want over 30 and you hate the goopy/heavy feeling...try the Coppertone sport spray mist. It is 50 spf and very light mist. It is waterproof and sweatproof and you don't feel it at all. I highly recommend.

I think Neutrogena has a similar mist that has "cooling" agents in it to help your skin feel cool too.

I don't think I'd ever go back to a lotion or regular spray. Aerosol mist has been by far the smoothest and lightest application. And no burning!

I'm 64 and live in South Florida. I simply have not been able to beat Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock with Helioplex, SPF-55. It is very light and sinks right in. It is never greasy.

I have to be so careful with sunscreen because so much of it makes me either itch or break out. The Ultra-Touch never has caused either problem.

Neutragena SPF 70. (Yes - 70!!) It's a lotion that's not greasy and either has no smell or a mild pleasant one (can't remember). I hate the feeling of sunblock on my hands and had no problems with this one.

I'm what I like to call "perma-pale" (extremely fair) and burn VERY easily. I was able to enjoy a full vacation in Rio de Janeiro, including a full day at the beach and lots of time outdoors without even getting pink, when our friends who used the spray-on sunblock were totally fried! It's the best I've ever found!

Epicurean 100% Zinc Oxide for face. Jan Marini is great too.

Neutrogena makes great affordable sunscreens for face as well but it still burns my eyes. For body, big jug of spray on Banana Boat. I can reach my own back.

You can never have to much sunscreen!!!!

Epicurean 100% Zinc Oxide for face. Jan Marini is great too.

Neutrogena makes great affordable sunscreens for face as well but it still burns my eyes. For body, big jug of spray on Banana Boat. I can reach my own back.

You can never have to much sunscreen!!!!

Does the Zinc Oxide make your face look whitish?

I use the new Lancome one that is a mix of chemical and non-chemical and I also use Clinique SPF 40 that is the same and I can still see a whitish tinge on my face, although it isn't too bad (unless I am being photographed, of course :P)

It looks like based on most of the suggestions I am leaning toward the spray on types, although the most attractive is the SPF 70. I am not super pale, but I take my sunscreen seriously! Thanks for all the recs so far! :D

I absolutely love "PreSun" spf 30 gel. It is non-greasy, waterproof and PABA free. It has broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection with Parsol 1789. It is the only sun screen I have found that doesn't cause me to break out in a very itchy rash, and was recommended by my Dermatologist. It is also endorsed by the Ladies Pro Golf Association. Very hard to find though, not sold in your local drug store. I have to order on line. Just google PreSun and you will find several sites you can order from. It is not expensive either, $8 or $9 a bottle.

Heres MY 2 cents worth.. been there done it before, on many occasions and it works on MILK-WHITE skin perfectly. ready for this?? NO-AD suntan lotion with 30 spf.. its cheap and works PERFECTLY, and it wont break the bank!!!

Another Nuetrogena lover here. I use the spray on my family, because it is quick and good, but I save the cream stuff for myself. I don't remember the name, but it has kinda a baby powder feeling to it and absorbs SO well into your skin.

Oh here it is!! http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100802&navAction=jump&navCount=0&skuid=sku600210&id=prod600223 I love this stuff! It is Neutrogena Active Breatheable Sunblock.

I've tried the Coppertone Sport and some others and my skin just feels tight and gross. It makes me hotter!

Another Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock with Helioplex, SPF-55 fan, here. I am a very fair blonde and am prone to breaking out from early season sun (Central E.Coast), so everytime vacation in the sun, I used to break out with any sunscreen.....until I used Neutrogena w/Helioplex. There is no fragrance or strange scent. I just bought a bottle yesterday and it now comes in exactly 3 oz containers. Perfect for my carry-on luggage for the flight to my cruise next week!

I discovered the Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock with Helioplex last year and I love it! I can't stand any sunscreen in a lotion form, most of the sprays are good and I still get the coppertone sport no rub spray for DH but DD and I use the Neutrogena-it goes on so much cleaner feeling.

On faces we use Banana Boat Sport Stick #30 but wash it off right away when we're out of the sun to avoid break outs. The stick works well in that it doesn't drip into eyes, stays right where you put it, it's waxy and totally waterproof so you do shine a bit with it but who cares when you're in the water? Good for the forehead and nose, tops of ears and even tops of shoulders and along the part in our hair. It's about the size of a glue stick so I keep a bunch of them in all of my purses and bags at the ready.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm 64 and live in South Florida. I simply have not been able to beat Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock with Helioplex, SPF-55. It is very light and sinks right in. It is never greasy.

I have to be so careful with sunscreen because so much of it makes me either itch or break out. The Ultra-Touch never has caused either problem.

I live in humid east Texas and this is what I use also, except mine is SPF 70. You can buy it in a spray or lotion. I also use Neutrogena Healthy Defense daily moisturizer in light tint on my face. It has a SPF 30 and gives my face a nice tint for just a healthy glow. It can be worn alone or under makeup and doesn't make my mineral makeup roll up (as long as I give it time to soak in well--unlike other sunscreens, that give my mineral makeup fits:rolleyes:). Love it! I'm fair skinned, but have never burned using this.

Another Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunblock with Helioplex, SPF-55 fan, here. I am a very fair blonde and am prone to breaking out from early season sun (Central E.Coast), so everytime vacation in the sun, I used to break out with any sunscreen.....until I used Neutrogena w/Helioplex. There is no fragrance or strange scent. I just bought a bottle yesterday and it now comes in exactly 3 oz containers. Perfect for my carry-on luggage for the flight to my cruise next week!

OK! is it just a Texas thing or what? I just went and got my bottle of Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry Touch with Helioplex to double check and mine clearly says SPF 70. It too is exactly 3oz and I carried a tube of it in my carryon when I went to WDW in December, with no problems. I don't remember seeing an SPF 55 when I bought the lotion, but believe my spray might have been SPF 55 (I'm out of the spray right now and don't remember). I just now put a little of the SPF 70 lotion on to test it and while you can smell it, it has more of a baby powder type scent to it and dries really soft and smooth (not the least oily or sticky). Anyway this is the best stuff I've found.

I like the Neutrogena for my face, and usually use Banana boat for my body. My dermatologist actually recommends Neutrogrena, he said if I stop by his office before my cruise, he'll give me loads of free samples to get me through the week. So that means it's a great price, too :)

I know I already commented about the wonderfulness of the Neutragena SPF 70 lotion (UltraSheer Helioplex), but I just had to add another rave! I just returned from my honeymoon cruise with three port days with zero burns! Oddly enough (though I wouldn't recommend it), I was able to go all day with only the single application in the morning. I didn't go in the water though. No redness! This stuff works!

Archived