What is the best kept secret on the Sun?

Babygirl5408

I loved the Observation Lounge on the Sun. I hope they have not yet turned this into suites. I would take my laptop there during the day as I was writing a diary and an article, have a drink and enjoy the view forward. For our Alaska cruise it was a wonderful time to spend a couple of hours during the afternoon on Sea Days.

To clarify this whole discussion on "access" to the spa - the Sun unlike some of NCL's other ships doesn't have the big spa area with the warm ceramic loungers, the indoor hot tubs, etc. Therefore, there is no $199 spa pass!

Rather, there is a beauty parlor and some massage cubicles. Adjacent to this area is a very small lounge area - seems like there are two steamer sort of chairs that face the ocean and a table with cool water and tea. This chairs face out windows to sea and behind them are small (at least I presume the ladies is the same size as the gentlemen's ) locker rooms where you can change if you decide to come dressed or from the pool for your massage. The mens' locker room and presumably the ladies' has a small sauna and steam room - both are probably sized to hold 5 at best. These are open to the ship and you don't have to (at least as of my last Sun sailing) book a massage to use them.

The secrets I know about on the Sun (that haven't already been mentioned), you need to know about before you book. She has some extraordinary rooms - the bow balconies on Deck 11 which we will be enjoying for the first time in October appear to be huge, the stern facing mini suites are larger than the others on Sun or other NCL ships and the almost square inside cabins forward are really large and well laid out - no bumping of the doors like in most cabins.

That is nice to hear;we have an aft mini booked :)

So glad this thread has bee reawakened, looking forward to more secrets.

I loved the Observation Lounge on the Sun. I hope they have not yet turned this into suites. I would take my laptop there during the day as I was writing a diary and an article' date=' have a drink and enjoy the view forward. For our Alaska cruise it was a wonderful time to spend a couple of hours during the afternoon on Sea Days.[/quote']

It's still there and they have entertainers there at night for the lounge.

Trina

Your spelling is correct. Las Ramblas serves during the lunchtime hours as a soup and sandwich locale. Sometime between then and early evening, it opens as a lovely bar with small dishes. Typically they have three or four hot dishes and three or four cold ones. I recall marinated cheese, empanadas, calamari, etc. There is not cost for the food but of course there is for the beverages. They serve quite tasty white and red sangria though I wish it wasn't quite so expensive.

For new readers of this post that you just awakend from it's three and half year nap, be advised that Pacific Heights is no more:mad: though I am looking forward to trying Moderno on our upcoming cruise. Also, the menu in Il Adiago has changed significantly according to other threads and now more closely resembles the italian restaurants on other NCL ships:mad: but hopefully they haven't changed the beautful room and have keep at least my favorite the Osso Bucco - that alone will be worth the $10 fee.

The secrets I know about on the Sun (that haven't already been mentioned), you need to know about before you book. She has some extraordinary rooms - the bow balconies on Deck 11 which we will be enjoying for the first time in October appear to be huge, the stern facing mini suites are larger than the others on Sun or other NCL ships and the almost square inside cabins forward are really large and well laid out - no bumping of the doors like in most cabins.

Clay, Joe and I say Hi to you and wish we were once again cruising on the Sun. We were hoping to do it to celebrate my 70th birthday this year, but couldn't afford it after our splurge last year on 33 wonderful days aboard the Sun on b2b2b cruises.

Now that she's been drydocked I'd love to try Moderno and see how

close it comes to the churrascaria we ate at in Rio de Janeiro. I hope

they still serve breakfast waffles in Moderno as they did in Pacific Heights. I loved getting them there and then taking them out to

The Great Outdoors to enjoy on sunny days or sitting at a window table

in there or next door in the Sports Bar on the not-so-sunny days.

If they have osso buco on the menu in Il Adagio, this time I'd have it.

I don't remember it on the menu last time and I love that dish.

I'm surprised you didn't mention the wonderful watermelon salad in the dining room. If you hadn't recommended it to our Meet n Greet group I never would have tried it, and it was delicious.

This time I would try the sandwiches for lunch in Las Ramblas. I didn't

do that last time. Nor did I do the tapas and I'd try them this time. But I did enjoy the singer at night in there, listening as I sipped Sangria.

I agree with whomever mentioned the area outside the Observation Lounge atop the ship. That's a wonderful place to stand and take photos as you come into port. And that lounge is great at departure time from ports for watching the latecomers as well as for watching the ship pull away from the dock.

There's usually a good pianist in the Windjammer lounge, a nice place to

listen while relaxing with a drink.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Indian Buffet or the Jazz Brunch.

Those are extra charge ($15 p/p) but imo well worth the price if they're

available on your cruise. I don't think the Caribbean cruises had them.

Happy sailing to all of you. The Sun is a wonderful ship.

Mary Kay

Sorry you aren't getting you sun fix this year but given you had at least two years of cruises in your month plus on board last year I don't feel that sorry for you!

Thanks for mentioning the watermelon salad...it is sorta of a secret. Mike made us some last week....e

He even fried some of the feta. very tasty but as he said not as good as on the ship since he had to make it and I had to clean up!

Best to Joe and Happy Birthday!

• 6 months later...

For an uncrowded breakfast or lunch, go to the dining area just fore of the sports bar (what used to be called Pacific Heights, and is now the Brazilian steakhouse at dinner).

The coffee and juice is in lovely urns, rather than cafeteria style machines; there is a good cold buffet selection, as well as lovely made to order waffles, and maybe omelettes - not sure on that one.

The Pizza oven is also located in this dining area - try the fresh breakfast pizzas for a change!

• 11 months later...
Definitely our cabin. ;) A bit smaller but perfectly functional. The double-sized balcony was well worth the smaller interior. We spent so much time out there and it was heavenly.

I want to know too! We have a "smaller" balcony room booked, and I've been trying to figure out if the balcony is larger. Kind of looks like it might be, but can't tell for sure!

Archived