Princess vs NCL

coffeebean

Nita Formal means anything from a nice dress to a formal gown. I think they mean something dressy enough that you might wear to a wedding of a friend or collegue. But I have see tuxes and formal gowns also.

thanks, that is just what I thought. To so many, formal means exactly that: On HAL last year and Celebrity the formal dress was very formal. We saw almost no men in sprot jackets, the majority were wearing tuxes. DH did not want to hall his tux this time. The gals on HAL and Celebrity, especailly HAL were in long dresses or very dressy cocktail dresses. Actually i would say dressier than one would wear to a wedding.

Nita

thanks, that is just what I thought. To so many, formal means exactly that: On HAL last year and Celebrity the formal dress was very formal. We saw almost no men in sprot jackets, the majority were wearing tuxes. DH did not want to hall his tux this time. The gals on HAL and Celebrity, especailly HAL were in long dresses or very dressy cocktail dresses. Actually i would say dressier than one would wear to a wedding.

Nita

We were on the Princess Dawn on the December 23rd - 30th Cruise, the formal nights were very, well "formal", Tux's and Dark Suits, Evening Gowns and Cocktail Dresses, a Sport Coat or Two that's it. Maybe this was because the 1st Formal Night was Christmas Eve and it was a Holiday Cruise. We saw our share of blue jeans on "Smart Casual" nights.

By formal, what do you mean? I have been told by several clients that for men, sport jackets, ties and slacks are quite acceptable on formal nights. That to me isn't all the formal. Are you saying suits and tuxes are the only thing accepted on those nights in the dining room?

Nita

Since I'm still reeling from being attacked on the last jeans thread, I would suggest - as I did there - that you take a look at the guidelines on the Princess website or in the Cruise Answer book around dress for formal nights. Princess is more strictly enforcing the rules on formal night to gain entrance to the dining room, however, there are those instances when people get past. Depending on the Matre'd, yes, suits and tuxes are the only things accepted in the dining room on formal nights...some enforce the rules, some don't.

If "DH" isn't hauling a tux or suit, it's probably that he won't be admitted to the dining room on formal night.

By formal, what do you mean? I have been told by several clients that for men, sport jackets, ties and slacks are quite acceptable on formal nights. That to me isn't all the formal. Are you saying suits and tuxes are the only thing accepted on those nights in the dining room?

Nita

Nita, we have been on the Caribbean Princess twice and once on the Diamond Princess. The Caribbean Princess went to Eastern and Western Caribbean while the Diamond Princess did the same run you are about to do on the Golden Princess.

The Diamond Princess going to the Mexican Riviera really dressed up for formal nights and I really felt underdressed with a dressy pantsuit that consisted of a sparkly cocktail top and this was within the Princess guidelines. However, we did go during Spring break and alot of the young folks wore their prom gowns. I always wear this on the Caribbean Princess and felt quite in place with the other people because they did not dress up quite as much on the Western itinerary but did on the Eastern itinerary.

So my point is that ships and voyages all change what people wear for formal night and as long as you stick to the suggested dresscode per Princess you will be fine. If DH has a dark suit he would definitely feel more in place in the dining room than wearing a Sport Coat unless that Sport Coat is dark. The code that you will find on the ships patters are generally coats required as well as long shirts for gentlemen. Cocktail dresses, evening gowns or pantsuits for ladies.

Since I'm still reeling from being attacked on the last jeans thread, I would suggest - as I did there - that you take a look at the guidelines on the Princess website or in the Cruise Answer book around dress for formal nights. Princess is more strictly enforcing the rules on formal night to gain entrance to the dining room, however, there are those instances when people get past. Depending on the Matre'd, yes, suits and tuxes are the only things accepted in the dining room on formal nights...some enforce the rules, some don't.

If "DH" isn't hauling a tux or suit, it's probably that he won't be admitted to the dining room on formal night.

that cetainly is not what those on our roll call are saying, one was on the golden a few months ago.

Nita

Nita, we have been on the Caribbean Princess twice and once on the Diamond Princess. The Caribbean Princess went to Eastern and Western Caribbean while the Diamond Princess did the same run you are about to do on the Golden Princess.

The Diamond Princess going to the Mexican Riviera really dressed up for formal nights and I really felt underdressed with a dressy pantsuit that consisted of a sparkly cocktail top and this was within the Princess guidelines. However, we did go during Spring break and alot of the young folks wore their prom gowns. I always wear this on the Caribbean Princess and felt quite in place with the other people because they did not dress up quite as much on the Western itinerary but did on the Eastern itinerary.

So my point is that ships and voyages all change what people wear for formal night and as long as you stick to the suggested dresscode per Princess you will be fine. If DH has a dark suit he would definitely feel more in place in the dining room than wearing a Sport Coat unless that Sport Coat is dark. The code that you will find on the ships patters are generally coats required as well as long shirts for gentlemen. Cocktail dresses, evening gowns or pantsuits for ladies.

He not only has a dark suit he has 2 tuxes, but prefers to go as casual as possible. Sport jacket is dark blue, slacks beige. For me, I will wear an after 5 outfit.

Nita

We've done several NCL cruises and we'll probably do more cruises on NCL in the coming years.

We love to cruise and have enjoyed noting the differences in emphasis among the mass market cruiselines we've experienced.

Enhancements to Freestyle might be interesting, but to this point and into the forseeable future, Princess will be our most cruised line.

that cetainly is not what those on our roll call are saying, one was on the golden a few months ago.

Nita

What's not what they were saying? Look at the Cruise Answer book? Or wear a dark suit or tux?

Princess doesn't evenly enforce their dress guidelines and a lot has to do with the Matre'd or Head Waiter who is the gatekeeper. A few months ago, the crew on board was probably different than it is now. I guess you take your chances if you don't dress by the guidelines - up to you. If it were me, and I had either a sport jacket and slacks or a dark suit, I would take the dark suit - that way I would be sure that I was dressing appropriately and "hauling" that is no different than the sports jacket and slacks.

But that's just me. Good luck.

The original topic was "Princess vs NCL" which doesn't belong here to start with now has turned into a "dress code" topic - WOW!!! CruiseCritic is turning into an amusement park and most of the "Fools" are back under new screen names!!

Ron

The original topic was "Princess vs NCL" which doesn't belong here to start with now has turned into a "dress code" topic - WOW!!! CruiseCritic is turning into an amusement park and most of the "Fools" are back under new screen names!!

Ron

Ron...

I started this thread to direct my question to the folks that are Princess fans, who primarily cruise on Princess and who would give their honest opinions how they they think NCL will measure up to Princess once all NCL's upgrades are in place. Where else should this thread be besides here???

Ron...

I started this thread to direct my question to the folks that are Princess fans, who primarily cruise on Princess and who would give their honest opinions how they they think NCL will measure up to Princess once all NCL's upgrades are in place. Where else should this thread be besides here???

very good point;

Nita

Ron...

Not to cry poor me, because I totally know of what Ron speaks, but I'm the only one who answered your original question at length and I keep getting bashed. Hmmm.

First, I'm jumping in here, because I am considering my first Princess cruise on the Princess Coral because of a particular itinary.. Second.we've just gotten off the Celebrity Galaxy after our second on Celebrity with the first being the Century..Most of our cruising has been done on NCL.. First.. Let me address those people who turn their nose up at NCL..NCL was and is the first to expand their ships.. add what has turned out to be "free sttyle dining" and add many other amenities..Many cruisers do like the idea of "free style" because they do not have to rush bac k to the ship after a day away for their "seating"..The secret which seems to avoid most people is that you can request the same waiter/table or have a set seating on NCL.. It seems other cruise lines, have picked this up using other names for their version of "free style"..Oh yes... in over 20 years of cruising we have cruised Premier, NCL, RCCL, Majesty, Celebrity, Carnival and Dolphin...now I'm ready to try Princess. First let me ask.. WHAT IS 2.0 UPGRADES for NCL. Going back...the Celebrity Century was perfect in everyway including the ports.. The Galaxy offered the best service as did the Century...yet the meat and soups did ot add up..Won't even discuss our experience of the RCCL Brilliance of the Seas which was so dreadful that I can'lt even begin to discuss it in print).Carnival, our first experience years ago on the Fascination (new ship at the time) was so dreadful I have avoided anything named Carnival(I hold grudges. From what I've been reading unless we go to "alternative restaurants/pay? we will be fed the usual cruise food....Is that true? Because we are from Boston and the Majesty, now the Dream and to come the Spirit.. are at our home port we had tended to cruise them much more often.. Only ONE year did we have a problem with the food on the NCL Majesty.. one.. the service, the ship have been clean, open to our needs I refuse to say an unkind word about them. Most of the people I have met on RCCL or Celebrity turn up their nose at NCL... NewMexico Nita I know has been a fan of NCL...I'm not ashamed to say that I enjoy the shows on cruise ships..

Not to cry poor me, because I totally know of what Ron speaks, but I'm the only one who answered your original question at length and I keep getting bashed. Hmmm.

Again, I thank you for your insightful answers. Sorry you are getting bashed.

First, I'm jumping in here, because I am considering my first Princess cruise on the Princess Coral because of a particular itinary.. Second.we've just gotten off the Celebrity Galaxy after our second on Celebrity with the first being the Century..Most of our cruising has been done on NCL.. First.. Let me address those people who turn their nose up at NCL..NCL was and is the first to expand their ships.. add what has turned out to be "free sttyle dining" and add many other amenities..Many cruisers do like the idea of "free style" because they do not have to rush bac k to the ship after a day away for their "seating"..The secret which seems to avoid most people is that you can request the same waiter/table or have a set seating on NCL.. It seems other cruise lines, have picked this up using other names for their version of "free style"..Oh yes... in over 20 years of cruising we have cruised Premier, NCL, RCCL, Majesty, Celebrity, Carnival and Dolphin...now I'm ready to try Princess. First let me ask.. WHAT IS 2.0 UPGRADES for NCL. Going back...the Celebrity Century was perfect in everyway including the ports.. The Galaxy offered the best service as did the Century...yet the meat and soups did ot add up..Won't even discuss our experience of the RCCL Brilliance of the Seas which was so dreadful that I can'lt even begin to discuss it in print).Carnival, our first experience years ago on the Fascination (new ship at the time) was so dreadful I have avoided anything named Carnival(I hold grudges. From what I've been reading unless we go to "alternative restaurants/pay? we will be fed the usual cruise food....Is that true? Because we are from Boston and the Majesty, now the Dream and to come the Spirit.. are at our home port we had tended to cruise them much more often.. Only ONE year did we have a problem with the food on the NCL Majesty.. one.. the service, the ship have been clean, open to our needs I refuse to say an unkind word about them. Most of the people I have met on RCCL or Celebrity turn up their nose at NCL... NewMexico Nita I know has been a fan of NCL...I'm not ashamed to say that I enjoy the shows on cruise ships..

The link to an article about Freestyle 2.0 is in post #1 of this thread.

• 1 month later...
Great - and I'm sure that's why Freestyle 2.0 appeals to you. But it doesn't appeal to everyone and NCL isn't going to take over the whole mass-market if their product doesn't appeal to everyone. Freestyle aside, I find the pictures I've seen of ship decor to be garish and not something I really want to spend a week around. I've never seen an NCL production show and so I can't compare them to what Princess offers, but I'm not willing to sacrifice the rest of the Princess experience to partake in a higher-end production show.

I think it's great to be excited about a favored cruise line upgrading their product - especially if you believe in the upgrade. I'm just not sure why there continues to be a comparison with Princess. While they are both mass-marketed, the product is totally different. There's nothing wrong with that because it gives people a choice - but people who have chosen Princess because of what the product offers and have no interest in NCL won't be drawn there by these "upgrades." I really can't see a mass exit of passengers from Princess to NCL.

Colin Veitch, who interestingly enough was at Princess when the Anytime concept was started – and one must wonder if he left because Princess didn’t roll over and accept the full-blown deal that’s presented on NCL - states himself that these changes make NCL unique and uniqueness doesn't appeal to everyone. Unique is the operative word – let’s keep it that way.

YIKES! I'm almost afraid to go on my Princess cruise in April if you are the NORM as far as pax go.

I also love Freestyle and I selected Anytime dining on my forthcoming Princess cruise. NCL came up with a winner and all the other mass market lines are struggling to catch up. IMO

Winnie

YIKES! I'm almost afraid to go on my Princess cruise in April if you are the NORM as far as pax go.

I also love Freestyle and I selected Anytime dining on my forthcoming Princess cruise. NCL came up with a winner and all the other mass market lines are struggling to catch up. IMO

Winnie

Well I have gone on the NCL Pearl recently and the Freestyle just wasn't working and we only got to dine at the Mexican dining room the first night. All the others were always full and the signage was always wrong for availability. The dining rooms did not have near the selection as Princess does and on the Pearl we had a hard time finding something to eat whereas on Princess we cannot decide from the many appetizing dishes what to choose from. Princess has it right for me and bdjam is one of many who likes what Princess has to offer. I am sure you will love the Dawn princess although it isn't a Grand ship with the Cafe Caribe in the evenings, my understanding is that she is a beloved ship by the Princess cruisers. But do be prepared to have hard time deciding which entertainment show to go to in the evenings as Princess beats NCL by a longshot. Have fun. :)

We just completed our first (well my first; DW cruised on the Norway years ago) NCL cruise last month, on the NCLA pride of america, and I feel the the NCL freestyle product exceeded my expectations. We initially choose NCLA because they offered a unique itinerary (the 7 day Hawaiian interisland cruise), but would have no problems choosing them again.

Our NCL experience may not have been typical because we did have penthouse suites, but we did have a VS last year on the Coral, so I think that the comparisons are valid.

Some observations:

Dining: we thought the freestyle concept was fun. We liked all the choices, as well as the smaller sizes and unique appearances of the different venues...more like individual restaurants, with a more intimate feel. Princess does offer priority reservations for suite pax in theory, but there is no dedicated phone line or concierge to assist with this; on NCLA we were given a form to fill out on our first day, and the entire reservation process for the full week was done in a matter of seconds. We only reserved those venues that were historically more popular (based on my cc research) and played it by ear for other nights. There were fewer individual menu choices in each venue (except in the main dining rooms) but overall more variety. We felt the quality was similar (average in the main venues, superior in the premium venues). We do not like the lobster tails on either line.

Buffet: the buffet layout on the POAM was the best we have seen on any ship...minimal congestion, even at peak times. The selection was varied, but the food QUALITY was not up to the princess standard. We missed the 24 hour buffet overall.

Room service: very comparable between the two lines, with limited menu for standard cabins, and enhanced variety for suites. Butler service in NCL suites made the overall experience superior on the POAM.

Cabin amenities and decor: We liked the dark wood paneling on NCL, as well as our espresso maker, and the in-room wifi and ethernet hookup. We prefer the overall cabin layout on princess as felt the furniture was more comfortable and the color choices less migraine-inducing. Bedding was equally comfortable on both ships.

Entertainment and shows...this is probably not a valid comparison, as we did not take part in many activities on the POAM, but overall felt that princess had higher quality selections and a much greater variety.

Service: we thought this was comperable between the two lines. We would give NCL the edge for suite service (butler plus steward) and we were also impressed with the friendliness and enthusiasm of the american crew on NCLA.

Overall ship layout and design: Here we give the edge to princess. The NCL public spaces we more fragmented and more crowded. Princess ship layouts encourage you to linger and socialize, whereas on NCLA we pretty much went from point A to point B, if that makes any sense.

Formal night: We don't always take part in formal night, but like the option. The level of participation on NCLA was very low, and I would have felt a little out of place in my tux.

Embarkation and Disembarkation: boarding process is smooth and efficient on both lines. Dismebarkation is a breeze on NCLA with no customs or immigration. Have not experienced the new and improved princess disembarkation yet.

We would have no problem sailing NCL again, if the itinerary was right.

We just completed our first (well my first; DW cruised on the Norway years ago) NCL cruise last month, on the NCLA pride of america, and I feel the the NCL freestyle product exceeded my expectations. We initially choose NCLA because they offered a unique itinerary (the 7 day Hawaiian interisland cruise), but would have no problems choosing them again.

Our NCL experience may not have been typical because we did have penthouse suites, but we did have a VS last year on the Coral, so I think that the comparisons are valid.

Some observations:

Dining: we thought the freestyle concept was fun. We liked all the choices, as well as the smaller sizes and unique appearances of the different venues...more like individual restaurants, with a more intimate feel. Princess does offer priority reservations for suite pax in theory, but there is no dedicated phone line or concierge to assist with this; on NCLA we were given a form to fill out on our first day, and the entire reservation process for the full week was done in a matter of seconds. We only reserved those venues that were historically more popular (based on my cc research) and played it by ear for other nights. There were fewer individual menu choices in each venue (except in the main dining rooms) but overall more variety. We felt the quality was similar (average in the main venues, superior in the premium venues). We do not like the lobster tails on either line.

Buffet: the buffet layout on the POAM was the best we have seen on any ship...minimal congestion, even at peak times. The selection was varied, but the food QUALITY was not up to the princess standard. We missed the 24 hour buffet overall.

Room service: very comparable between the two lines, with limited menu for standard cabins, and enhanced variety for suites. Butler service in NCL suites made the overall experience superior on the POAM.

Cabin amenities and decor: We liked the dark wood paneling on NCL, as well as our espresso maker, and the in-room wifi and ethernet hookup. We prefer the overall cabin layout on princess as felt the furniture was more comfortable and the color choices less migraine-inducing. Bedding was equally comfortable on both ships.

Entertainment and shows...this is probably not a valid comparison, as we did not take part in many activities on the POAM, but overall felt that princess had higher quality selections and a much greater variety.

Service: we thought this was comperable between the two lines. We would give NCL the edge for suite service (butler plus steward) and we were also impressed with the friendliness and enthusiasm of the american crew on NCLA.

Overall ship layout and design: Here we give the edge to princess. The NCL public spaces we more fragmented and more crowded. Princess ship layouts encourage you to linger and socialize, whereas on NCLA we pretty much went from point A to point B, if that makes any sense.

Formal night: We don't always take part in formal night, but like the option. The level of participation on NCLA was very low, and I would have felt a little out of place in my tux.

Embarkation and Disembarkation: boarding process is smooth and efficient on both lines. Dismebarkation is a breeze on NCLA with no customs or immigration. Have not experienced the new and improved princess disembarkation yet.

We would have no problem sailing NCL again, if the itinerary was right.

I think you give an excellent comparison of suite life, but obviously the majority do not have that advantage so we could not experience the true freestyle of variety of restaurants since obviously of course the suites get theirs in first and as you know all of the restaurants other than main dining rooms were very small so not much room for too many of the rest of us. The last night it would have been easy to get in to the restaurants, however I was recovering from the Norovirus so eating was not what I wanted to do as I was just released very late afternoon the morning before returning. Could not understand why the shops closed down at 4 pm on the day before since we were still out at sea obviously since the casino was open so I missed those also. Too much obvious cost cutting on NCL and too bad you did not experience the true cabin service to compare it against a regular cabin on Princess. Saying how great it us about a butler and the service was great is certainly not the real service on NCL as you paid in the double digits for that suite. Maybe trying it in a regular cabin like the rest of us would show you the true NCL. Me...I will stick to the fabulous service of Princess.

I think you give an excellent comparison of suite life, but obviously the majority do not have that advantage so we could not experience the true freestyle of variety of restaurants since obviously of course the suites get theirs in first and as you know all of the restaurants other than main dining rooms were very small so not much room for too many of the rest of us. The last night it would have been easy to get in to the restaurants, however I was recovering from the Norovirus so eating was not what I wanted to do as I was just released very late afternoon the morning before returning. Could not understand why the shops closed down at 4 pm on the day before since we were still out at sea obviously since the casino was open so I missed those also. Too much obvious cost cutting on NCL and too bad you did not experience the true cabin service to compare it against a regular cabin on Princess. Saying how great it us about a butler and the service was great is certainly not the real service on NCL as you paid in the double digits for that suite. Maybe trying it in a regular cabin like the rest of us would show you the true NCL. Me...I will stick to the fabulous service of Princess.

Sorry to hear about your experiences on the NCL Pearl, your comments are very bias though, having cruised both lines several times, I found the experience's on NCL and Princess to be very memorable.

As for your comments on the dining options, the specialty restaurants are available for all cruisers, suite's or regular cabins, just call early, book for 2 nights by phone in the morning or when you arrive. Had you done your homework you would have had no problem with this, blame yourself only for not getting reservations.

Maybe the experience of being ill on your cruise has left a sour taste, NCL was a great experience for us, the Pearl is a great ship to cruise on.

My favorite Cruiseline still is Princess, and will continue to cruise any line which offers an experience we are interested in.

Archived