Travel Insurance - Purchase only what I need!

LakerMom

I was looking at the other posts about travel insurance. I understand the smart thing to do is to buy it but I am confused. Since we are driving to the port I'm thinking all I would really need is possible cancellation and medical insurance (I guess this would be emergency evacuation) in case something would happen. When I compare all these plans, I see flight, baggage, etc . . . many more options than what we really need.

Does anyone know if there is something you can get just to cover cancellation and the medical insurance?

progress.gifedit.gif

There are options available. Check insuremytrip dot com.

In November I won a cruise and sailed within 2 weeks of being notified, so we only purchased the medical and evacuation insurance. Didn't see a need for anything else.

Thanks for responding but I did go to insuremytrip.com and there were so many options I got confused. I wanted a quote so I compared several of the different plans they offered. Most of them all had baggage, hotel, medical, dental, etc. . . I didn't see anything for just cancellation, medical and evacuation. Can you tell me which plan you purchased. Maybe if I could find one with just medical and evacuation, I could add the cancellation on as an addition.

Thanks a bunch!

Most trip insurances will go by the price of the trip. So, with that being said, if you don't have a flight, obviously you won't have that expense. So the cost would be cheaper.

Now, about the luggage. If you don't think the gorillas at the dock treat your luggage the same as the apes at the airport, then you ought to see the formal I had the throw away AFTER the insurance paid for it. And OH!, what if a lazy porter decided to put your luggage in the corner and not put it on board. Wouldn't you want to be compensated for the clothes you had to purchase while onboard?

Just a few things to think about while purchasing you "cancellation" insurance ;)

Thanks for responding but I did go to insuremytrip.com and there were so many options I got confused. I wanted a quote so I compared several of the different plans they offered. Most of them all had baggage, hotel, medical, dental, etc. . . I didn't see anything for just cancellation, medical and evacuation. Can you tell me which plan you purchased. Maybe if I could find one with just medical and evacuation, I could add the cancellation on as an addition.

Thanks a bunch!

As I recall, it was CSA through the travel agent.

Go to tripinsurancestore.com and get their 800#. Call and talk to one of their agents. They are not pushy, and the prices are the same as insuremytrip.com. I too was confused and read about them and talked to them many times. They answered all my ?'s never asked me to purchase anything. When I was ready to purchase I did go through them. I have heard from them twice since I bought my policy asking if I understood everything and if I had any questions. I talked to Becky. She will be very helpful.

I always purchase Travelex insurance. This is because their coverage is Primary. This means they pay out before they bother to see if you have any other insurance. The last thing I want is to get caught with two insurance companies fighting over who has to pay.

90% of the reason I purchase travel insurance is that 99% of medical coverage is only within the USA and it's territories. Get sick in Mexico or St. Maarten... or have to be evacked off the ship... you could be totally screwed. This can cost tens of thousands of dollars.

The other 10% is for travel cancellation.

I have done all of mine on insuremytrip which I found out about on here and let me tell you it is a godsend! I got such great rates and was glad I went through them. I was never one to spend money on something like that until last year when my father happened to get ill on a cruise 4 days into a 14 day and he was so ill that they had to get off the ship in Belize and come home. The insurance covered all of his medical, they got back half of the price of their cruise, and it covered the $2000 that they paid to fly back to NJ from Belize. Keep in mind that you could always need something like that to be covered so make sure you have all of the angles covered. I called the local agency that I used through insuremytrip and they were very helpful in explaining what I did and didn't need.

I was looking at the other posts about travel insurance. I understand the smart thing to do is to buy it but I am confused. Since we are driving to the port I'm thinking all I would really need is possible cancellation and medical insurance (I guess this would be emergency evacuation) in case something would happen. When I compare all these plans, I see flight, baggage, etc . . . many more options than what we really need.

Does anyone know if there is something you can get just to cover cancellation and the medical insurance?

Hi LakerMom,

Unfortunately, there are no travel insurance plans that just cover cancellation and the medical insurance. Any plan that has cancellation coverage also has trip interruption & most or all the other coverages you normally find.

You can, however, insure a $0 trip cost with many plans and have all the coverages except trip cancellation & interruption.

You can also get a plan until the day before you leave, but if you need pre-existing conditions coverage, there are deadlines you'll want to pay attention to.

I hope this helps.

Archived