You know it is rough when...

suey

Wondering when people start to think the sea is rough.

Personally I know it is rough when:-

a. they close the outside decks

b. they stop all the lifts

A friend who cruised with me on her first cruise a couple of years ago was feeling unwell on the first evening out, I told her it is not rough unless they put the sick bags out.She popped into the loo and while I was waiting for her they put the bags out - as soon as she saw them she was off to bed! :eek:

I've never known the outside decks to be closed or the lifts shut off, but on our first cruise the sick bags came out twice :p

I must have been really lucky when it comes to rough weather. Fingers crossed it stays that way for me :D

Been looking at the webcams for the Sun and Star today and they both look pretty tragic :(

I only have 38 more sleeps till my very first cruise! I am hoping that the rough weather will be finished by the time we set sail - I would really hate it if we got bad weather - especially if I get sick!

But I suppose - there are cocktails to chase away the drearyness of bad weather! And if I have enough of those I am sure that I will not have enough time to get sick (here's hoping)!

When they empty the pools, remove all furniture that is not bolted down,not allow any crockery (glasses, plates, etc,) Knives and forks. only plastic disposdable cups. Nothing is available to eat or drink except for dry crackers and water.Free sickness injections sick bags by the pile in your cabin. 1974 cyclone tracy

Icy

SUEY..I agree..when they lock the doors to the open decks and stop the lifts because they are clanging against the lift wells, you know it is bad. We experienced that for 2 days on Regal Princess coming over from LA to Syd, that was end of Oct last year. PLUS they had seamen guarding the doors to the decks. PLUS we had to reduce speed to 5 knots and run the bow thrusters to stay on course. PLUS..the seas and wind smashed the pool bar and showers on deck 13..fair dinkum. You have seen the video.

Next move was to order all pax with lifejackets to lifeboat stations in the various public areas, thank god that did not happen.

YES..we had 12-15 metre seas off southern tip of NZ, sorry I have told you that 10 times already. It will be with me to the grave.

And when you are in the buffet, aft, riding the waves at brekkie and the buffet supervisor in his finest italian accent yells out..'everyabody stay in their aseats, no amoving'..as the eggs and bacon slide off the table on RP.!!

And when you see your indian waiters go white..then you know the seas are bad. And..when you look out of your cabin window on deck 5 and think you are in a car wash..yes..the seas are bad.

Why do we do all this? Because we are cruise freaks.!!

Cheers..Les:cool:

Off the thread for a sec..from Oberon, Anne and Allan? We had a couple from Oberon on the 31 nighter..Regal Princess, LA to Sydney last year.

She loved the cruise, he hated it..missed his footy.!! Cannot recollect their names. Sorry for the thread hijack.

AussieDisneyFan..have you not seen the video..the truth is out there..the big rogue waves even hit the dome.

You gotta break the virgin cruisers in with the truth, do you not, get them prepared..heh, heh.

PS..why are you not on the Canberra Gold Coast (Batemans Bay with the rest of the Canberrans? Bad weather anyway.!)

Way back in 1983 we crossed Bass Strait on Empress of Australia in a Force 8 gale. The decision to sail was made very late in the piece. I was thrown off my bunk; the doors to the outside were locked; there was no delay getting breakfast and green people were running down the corridors and no space ships in sight!

AussieDisneyFan..have you not seen the video..the truth is out there..the big rogue waves even hit the dome.

Actually Les, when we were on the Dawn we were sitting in the Dome one day at the front looking out over the crew pool. I told DH about the vidoe you posted on here and it was at that point that I stopped to really think about it and realised just how big those waves must have been:eek: . Actually sitting up there & looking all the way down, it just seemed unbelievable. I made a point of watching the video again after we hot back:) .

Karen

The video was posted by Nellius I remember, around the 2nd October or couple of days after that. We got to Sydney on 2 Oct, so look for posts around that date..sorry I cannot provide the links. Crikey I hope SP get calm seas on my next one. I am still a shaking.

Cheers..Les;)

The video was posted by Nellius I remember, around the 2nd October or couple of days after that. We got to Sydney on 2 Oct, so look for posts around that date..sorry I cannot provide the links. Crikey I hope SP get calm seas on my next one. I am still a shaking.

Is this it:

??

You know it's rough when the screws come out of the water, you have green water over the bridge, and the inclinometer is pegged! (Golden Odyssey, China Sea, Nov 86).

You know it's rough when your cabin on Main Deck floods to depth of 6" (Maasdam, trans-Atlantic, Nov 95)

You know it's rough when bow slap spray rains down onto your balcony on 10 deck, windows shatter along Prom Deck, and all the bars & shops have glass breakage due to the pounding (Golden Princess, trans-Atlantic, Aug 02).

Travel can be an adventure.

Archived