You know it is rough when...

suey

Is this it:
??

Yes, i had to watch it again, Not something to do a couple of days out from your own cruise.

We also had bad weather in the fiords to Tassie (we missed that stop) but the seas were not that bad i dont think. Lucky thanks to our tablets we didnt get sick.

Its a bit like childbirth, we know its going to hurt but we still have another one!! sorry strange analogy i know but its still early.

SUEY..I agree..when they lock the doors to the open decks and stop the lifts because they are clanging against the lift wells, you know it is bad. We experienced that for 2 days on Regal Princess coming over from LA to Syd, that was end of Oct last year. PLUS they had seamen guarding the doors to the decks. PLUS we had to reduce speed to 5 knots and run the bow thrusters to stay on course. PLUS..the seas and wind smashed the pool bar and showers on deck 13..fair dinkum. You have seen the video.

Next move was to order all pax with lifejackets to lifeboat stations in the various public areas, thank god that did not happen.

YES..we had 12-15 metre seas off southern tip of NZ, sorry I have told you that 10 times already. It will be with me to the grave.

And when you are in the buffet, aft, riding the waves at brekkie and the buffet supervisor in his finest italian accent yells out..'everyabody stay in their aseats, no amoving'..as the eggs and bacon slide off the table on RP.!!

And when you see your indian waiters go white..then you know the seas are bad. And..when you look out of your cabin window on deck 5 and think you are in a car wash..yes..the seas are bad.

Why do we do all this? Because we are cruise freaks.!!

Cheers..Les:cool:

Hi ,

I agree with Les and Suey when thjey lock the doors and close the lifts you know your in for a bumpy ride.On the Ocean Monarch way back in the 70,s when really copped it for 12 hrs after leaving Auckland big waves on a mass of confused water.

I have been lucky on all 21 cruises i have never been seasick(it will happen one day).I have been through some bad weather heaps of times and i like it.Di reckons it fits in with my warped sense of humour but i have literally seen passengers crawling on hands and knees to get to the doctors offices .

My tip if it gets rough......find a bar stool with a seat belt ,buckle up and enjoy the ride with a cleansing ale or two....works for me.

cheers

Col & Di:)

Hi ,

have been lucky on all 21 cruises i have never been seasick(it will happen one day).Col & Di:)

Hope that day is not too soon.:p :D I would hate to be there helping you stay on your barstool:D

I dont think I would be so good as you.

My tip if it gets rough......find a bar stool with a seat belt ,buckle up and enjoy the ride with a cleansing ale or two....works for me.

cheers

Col & Di:)

Yeh, I reckon it would work for me too:D . I'd certainly be willing to give it a go.

Karen

Its a bit like childbirth, we know its going to hurt but we still have another one!! sorry strange analogy i know but its still early.

LOL Kaseyoz. That's exactly what I said about our Dec 07 Star cruise. The first 3 days were shockers. We got sick. i even begged DH to take me home. By the time we got back to Auckland we were thinking about the next cruise again :D

Off the thread for a sec..from Oberon, Anne and Allan? We had a couple from Oberon on the 31 nighter..Regal Princess, LA to Sydney last year.

She loved the cruise, he hated it..missed his footy.!! Cannot recollect their names. Sorry for the thread hijack.

Cheers..Les:cool:

Hi Les. Oberon here. There are about 500 px in the district these days so haven't come across the couple you mention. It's a nice place to live :)

I have found in the past that being sea sick and having gastro at the same time can be a very unplesant experience. you can take the sea sick tablets, but they dont stay down for long. but what about the gastro. laying in bed makes you feel worse and not laying in bed well thats just hell. get the picture. carfull what you eat and where you sail.

Hi Les

Have just watched the video of the gale off NZ when you returned on RP.

Although it was obviously a force 7-8 gale it did not look too bad with passengers in the dome still able to walk & stand up.

With the engines slowed, RP no doubt did not dig her bows into any of the waves & get "greenies" on deck. It was also daylight. At night the waves are not visible & the SHIP tends to underestimate the size of the waves - Pacific Star out of Auckland - then damage occurs due to solid water over the deck.

That sort of pre frontal northerly is common in the Southern Ocean & Tasman - anytime of year. The motion depends on the SHIP, the speed & the Captain.

In the exact same position - bound Bluff NZ to Gladstone QLD. - a bulk carrier I was on in similar conditions, was hove-to, rolling 40 degrees, & with engines going as fast at the chief would allow.

We were doing 5 knots BACKWARDS. Luckily there was plenty of searoom.

After putting up with this for the night, the cold front came through with SW gale & high swell & we surfed our way north passing east of Lord Howe Island & close in to Middleton Reef to see the remains of Shaw Savill's "Runic".

You know it has been rough when you have to write a damage report for the owners & "Note Protest" at the next port so the charterers can claim insurance for your late arrival.

BTW let me say that you can experience really rough weather in ANY sea or ocean at ANY time of the year. Although some seasons in some areas can increase the chances of bad weather - ie tropical revolving storms in season.

John

1482977957_TNTAlltrans-rollingenrouttoBluff-1994.jpg.db6242202ccd2b8ebed7e5a129e4ffb9.jpg

New to the cruising game, I think our first experience will be the roughest.

1) Open decks closed from 3pm Sat arvo - till 6am Monday, approaching Noumea

2) Pitching enough to break the latch of the balcony door (at 2am doesn't help either)

Cheers

New to the cruising game, I think our first experience will be the roughest.

1) Open decks closed from 3pm Sat arvo - till 6am Monday, approaching Noumea

2) Pitching enough to break the latch of the balcony door (at 2am doesn't help either)

Cheers

Loved the pictures in your blog Geoff. It certainly did look menacing.:eek:

You know its rough when all the dancers on the dance floor end up in a pile at the lower end of the dance floor.

You know its really rough when the band slides off the stage and starts heading towards everyone piled up on the floor.

(Canberra crossing the Atlantic:eek: )

On one cruise mum and I went on they even put the pokies on the floor

Hard to play down there (:confused: ;) ) no they did turn them off first.

2 more sleeps and it can be a bit rough as long as I get on and sail close to time and if the Dawns outer ego managed that weather this will be nothing to her :)

As i read thru all thesposts it reminds me more of the rough ride we had during cyclone tracy. We had a nice cabin with a port hole and i can remember sitting on my bunk looking out at the sky.....thne the ship would go down down down till u could see water the darker water, darker water, real dark water:eek: then up , up, up till there was sky:( opps I think I will go get a a quells i think i just made myself sick

Icy

On one cruise mum and I went on they even put the pokies on the floor

Hard to play down there (:confused: ;) ) no they did turn them off first.

2 more sleeps and it can be a bit rough as long as I get on and sail close to time and if the Dawns outer ego managed that weather this will be nothing to her :)

Was that the same cruise that it was so rough that Mum fell into the arms of a strange man - any excuse ;)

• 2 months later...

"A friend who cruised with me on her first cruise a couple of years ago was feeling unwell on the first evening out, I told her it is not rough unless they put the sick bags out.She popped into the loo and while I was waiting for her they put the bags out - as soon as she saw them she was off to bed! :eek:

"

when i went i thought it was normal for the sea sick bags to be out . May be it wasn't just me and i had a reason to feel so sick .

cool video.i use to go to sea,did some trip on fishing boats,and i knew people that worked on new Zealand ships so i went with them sometimes,from lyttelton to wellington,that can get rough,sometimes we had to wet down the table clothes so things don't go flying..when i was cooking on the fishing boat it was rough for a week, couldn't cook soups or desserts to rough,but it tends to put me to sleep,sometimes i miss that,even if i go on a ferry here in Sydney.but thats noting compared to the video.5 knots down from 19 such a crawl....cheers matt

You know it's rough when you go through the waves and the governer on the engine goes ape as the screw comes out of the water.

MV Iron Sirius, 100,000 ton of iron ore on board off the coast of WA being chased by a cyclone in 1978 (or was it 79?)

Were you on the Sun in September 2005 when it was struck by a huge wave off Brisbane? My son and his girlfriend were. The ship was late getting back into Sydney because of it. Sounds like what you are describing.

Jenny

ok might not be as rough as you think but

when your nan gets up 5 times in the night making sure there is no one under here bed pushin it up or down or the cuboards going in and out .

it was 18 jan 06 last night of that cruise and its been a year and you still dont here then end of it.

Were you on the Sun in September 2005 when it was struck by a huge wave off Brisbane? My son and his girlfriend were. The ship was late getting back into Sydney because of it. Sounds like what you are describing.

Jenny

My other half was Jen...but I saw the vids!! LOL!! Wouldn't have liked to have been there!! I was waiting in Sydney for him to get back...spent all day at wharf 8 with some nice lady who shared her passion pop with me!!

(His first words when he saw me was "Oh my Gawd".)

Karen

Archived