Upgrade offer - is it legit?

jrzebird

We are sailing this Saturday on the Noordam. I just got an email, offering an upgrade from our C cabin to a VA - VH, for $199.00 each. It was from Ship Inventory. It's sort of a junky looking email and I was wondering if it's legit? And, if it is, do you think it's worth the $400.00? I'm leaning toward taking it, providing it's not a fully obstructed or steel rail room.

We are sailing this Saturday on the Noordam. I just got an email, offering an upgrade from our C cabin to a VA - VH, for $199.00 each. It was from Ship Inventory. It's sort of a junky looking email and I was wondering if it's legit? And, if it is, do you think it's worth the $400.00? I'm leaning toward taking it, providing it's not a fully obstructed or steel rail room.

Run, don't walk, to your TA or, if you booked direct, to your cruise line.

I'll bet they even provided a link to their web site where you can enter your credit card number for the "upgrade".

Do NOT go there. These guys can be mighty clever in accessing your computer.

After that, update your Junk Mail screening.

The onlu upgrade offer I would consider would be from the TA I work worth knowing that she had been contacted by HAL.

I probably should mention that we booked directly with HAL. And, that the email had our cabin number we've been assigned. There was no link to click, just an 800 number. Once I get in touch with my DBF, I'm going to call, but I'll call the HAL number on the website, not the one in the email.

I probably should mention that we booked directly with HAL. And, that the email had our cabin number we've been assigned. There was no link to click, just an 800 number. Once I get in touch with my DBF, I'm going to call, but I'll call the HAL number on the website, not the one in the email.

It is probably legit. However, on the side of caution DO call HAL's phone number directly. If this is legit (and I would be it is), that should do it.

Wow! Call you TA asap. Btw, on a 10 day Med (as an example) the VA is $700.00 more pp than a VE. I believe the difference for a C to VA is over $1,000pp. I am saying this for a 10 day Med (Carribean cruises are less) and I did not look at your itinerary.

I did what anyone could do, I read your past postings and you mentioned what cabin you were going to be in. So it would be very easy for someone to scam you. Do Not give out your credit card number, call whoever you booked thru and get the information from them. Please!!

I also think you will discover the offer is legitimate but it will expire at a certain point.

Please call the regular HAL number and not the one provided as everyone above has suggested.

Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Hope we find out soon if this is or is not a scam.

So do I! I'm at work, and really busy. I have to wait until lunch, or when my boss leaves, to get on the phone and find out! It's driving me nuts!

In addition to my cabin number, it also had my booking number, so I'm more inclined to think it is legit, but I plan to call the regular number and not the one listed in the email.

So do I! I'm at work, and really busy. I have to wait until lunch, or when my boss leaves, to get on the phone and find out! It's driving me nuts!

In addition to my cabin number, it also had my booking number, so I'm more inclined to think it is legit, but I plan to call the regular number and not the one listed in the email.

I am confident this is totally legit but to be truthful if you call the main number they WILL NOT be able to help you. The Ship Inventory Dept. is almost a secret private department that calling thru the main number will only get you to the sales department and they will most likely tell you the ship is sold out and will not connect you. If they have given you a number to call you really should call that number. There is no way any scam out there would know your booking number. In recent cruises this is exactly what Ship Inventory department is doing and even though I have a TA my TA's phones were out so I was allowed to call directly and speak to ship services but using their number to except an offer to purchase an upgrade.

If you really are serious about wanting this I would call as soon as possible, they usually only have a limited amount of cabins they can move people around to. To jump from a C category to a Verandah for the length of your cruise sounds like a bargain.:)

Good Luck

It was legit. I called and was directed to the right number. They only had one upgrade left and it was a VH Guar. I chose to pass. There appear to be only 4 of them, and they are right up front, shower only and steel rails. It was nice to dream for a couple hours. Funny, the guy told me at first that the last one had been sold and then, when I whined, he said wait, there is one!

It was legit. I called and was directed to the right number. They only had one upgrade left and it was a VH Guar. I chose to pass. There appear to be only 4 of them, and they are right up front, shower only and steel rails. It was nice to dream for a couple hours. Funny, the guy told me at first that the last one had been sold and then, when I whined, he said wait, there is one!

That is really too bad that it was not a better location verandah. But at least you found out and called, who knows you could get yet another email tomorrow;)

Nothing to lose by calling back a time or two. You may get lucky and they might have an even higher category cabin they'll upgrade for a reasonable additional sum.

Good Luck.

Mmm, excellent idea. I didn't think of that. Thank you!

Thanks for your post. You got great answers. Err on side of caution. Smart not to take what you don't want. We are awaiting a possible upgrade offer. I also work and yes, it is difficult to do travel arrangements on busy days. Smooth sailing!

I am confident this is totally legit but to be truthful if you call the main number they WILL NOT be able to help you. The Ship Inventory Dept. is almost a secret private department that calling thru the main number will only get you to the sales department and they will most likely tell you the ship is sold out and will not connect you.

Actually, Lisa, Ship Inventory Department isn't that super-secret. I googled "Ship Inventory Department Holland America Line" and it took me right to a page on HAL's website where the following contact information is displayed:

SHIP INVENTORY

Fax: 1-800-547-4720 or 1-206-298-3015

Requests for "guaranteed" stateroom, issues pertaining to stateroom assignments and confirmation of waitlisted staterooms.

Now, granted, it's an area of the website frequented only by TAs, but it's still public. At least, I didn't have any trouble finding it. Took me 5 seconds with google.

Here's the link: https://www.hollandamerica.com/show/tahq/contactus.do;jsessionid=OpIgsFBv2YsWLN4ns_OqSQl

Actually, Lisa, Ship Inventory Department isn't that super-secret. I googled "Ship Inventory Department Holland America Line" and it took me right to a page on HAL's website where the following contact information is displayed:

Now, granted, it's an area of the website frequented only by TAs, but it's still public. At least, I didn't have any trouble finding it. Took me 5 seconds with google.

Ahh Yes, while you could get this info via the internet is it actually the correct number to contact the Ship Inventory for last minute upgrades:confused: ;) Or could it be for the Future Sales of Chartered cruises? The numbers above are NOT the number I was given that rang right to the correct department to talk to someone about paying for an offer to upgrade.

I just took a good look at this page and these look to be the numbers for where TA's can call for the regular sales department.

As I said, it's a TA page. It includes all sorts of contact numbers, including "regulars sales" as well as ships services, documentation, Ship Inventory for cabin assignments, etc. Scroll toward the bottom, under "MORE CONTACT INFORMATION FOR HOLLAND AMERICA LINE"

MORE CONTACT INFORMATION FOR HOLLAND AMERICA LINE

HOLLAND AMERICA LINE CORPORATE OFFICE

300 Elliott Avenue West

Seattle, WA 98119

Phone: 1-206-281-3535

AIR/SEA

AirPlus Request Form

Phone: 1-800-628-4771

Domestic Itinerary Fax: 1-206-298-3008

International Itinerary Fax: 1-206-298-3991

Hours: Monday - Friday 7:00 am – 5:00 pm; Saturday 5:00 am – 3:00 pm

For air itineraries in conjunction with cruises or cruisetours for guests who have purchased Holland America Line's Fly Cruise Plan. This department processes all Airplus (deviation) and upgrade requests (please submit via fax).

GUEST RELATIONS

E-mail: GuestRelations@HollandAmerica.com

Phone: 1-800-599-8256

Fax: 1-206-301-5327

Inquiries, compliments and complaints on current or past sailings.

PUBLIC RELATIONS

Phone: 1-800-637-5029

Announcements regarding emergency situations are posted on the Holland America Line website.

SHIP SERVICES

Phone: 1-800-541-1576

Fax: 1-800-207-3547

Hours: Monday - Friday 7:00 am – 5:00 pm

For all individual guest services including special diets, dining requests and gift orders. Order forms are available online.

ACCESS & COMPLIANCE

E-mail: HALW_Access@HollandAmerica.com

Phone: 1-800-547-8493

Fax: 1-800-577-1731

Hours: Monday – Friday 8:00 am – 5:00 pm

Your contact for arrangements regarding guests with disabilities, once you have submitted the Special Requirements Information form.

DOCUMENTATION

Phone: 1-800-207-3542 x 3212

Fax: 1-206-286-3918

Hours: Monday - Friday 7:00 am – 5:00 pm

For Guest Document Packages inquiries for Holland America Line and Windstar Cruises. Also visa information, including mailing and referral to visa processing company. Please note: Documents are mailed approximately 30 days prior to departure on fully paid bookings. Payment inquiries should be directed to the Reservations Department.

OMBUDSMAN

E-mail: Ombudsman@HollandAmerica.com

Inquiries and issues that have not been resolved through normal channels.

SHIP INVENTORY

Fax: 1-800-547-4720 or 1-206-298-3015

Requests for "guaranteed" stateroom, issues pertaining to stateroom assignments and confirmation of waitlisted staterooms.

TOUR INVENTORY

E-mail: Tour_Inventory@HollandAmerica.com

Phone: 1-877-855-0500

Hours: Monday - Friday 6:15 am – 6:00 pm

Inquiries regarding hotel, transportation and pre- and post-tour programs.

Frankly, I find this list of contact information VERY helpful and it's all going into a file for when I need it (if ever) in the future.

Ahh Yes, while you could get this info via the internet is it actually the correct number to contact the Ship Inventory for last minute upgrades:confused: ;) Or could it be for the Future Sales of Chartered cruises? The numbers above are NOT the number I was given that rang right to the correct department to talk to someone about paying for an offer to upgrade.

That's not the number I was given in the email either. It was an 888 number. When I got them (through my overly cautious call to the main number first), I was told that the number was only given out when they were offering a paid upgrade.

That's not the number I was given in the email either. It was an 888 number. When I got them (through my overly cautious call to the main number first), I was told that the number was only given out when they were offering a paid upgrade.

Ah, ok. So, they have specific numbers for specific offers, etc.

Makes sense.

I'm sorry you weren't able to get the offer.

Archived