Emerald Princess 12/26-01/05 - Thank you Princess!

peterm

Emerald Princess 12/26-01/05 – Thank you Princess!

Just back from a great 10-day cruise we would like to publish our impressions – many good and only a few not so good. If you read our review, please be advised that this was a holiday cruise on a new mega-ship (over 3000 passengers) and our impressions and comparisons are personal and not always objective.

Embarkation

We drove to FLL and used the Park N’ Fly Parking ($ 90.00/10 days and perfect shuttle service). As usual we arrived at 11:00 at the ships terminal only to learn that boarding was delayed until 1:30 PM due to a Norovirus outbreak on the preceding cruise. The good side: We got a very clean ship – the bad side: The Chef’s table which we were looking forward to for months, was cancelled for the whole cruise (again!).

Muster Drill

Princess has the best muster drill! Instead of standing outside in full sunshine in the middle of hundreds of sweating (and smelling) passengers, we went to the Muster stations inside the ship and received the necessary information for an emergency. This makes more sense then listening to a roll call under a specific lifeboat (which in case of an emergency may or may not be available).

Passengers – Dress Codes

Lots of young families. Very international: Hundreds of British and Canadian citizens. Casual dress was on a high standard. On formal evenings lots of attractive ladies – the younger in short and the older in longer cocktail dresses, most of the gentlemen in dark suits. Thank you for being so well dressed.

Pools = Chair hogs and toddlers in the whirlpools

Most of the days by 8:00 AM hundreds of towels, shoes, books and even bananas (!) were used to “reserve” all chairs on all level of decks. The deck attendants refused to do anything (Interview: “ We are afraid of the passenger’s reactions and don’t have any instruction from Princess”).

The two main pools were 100 % in children’s hand. The youngsters – including toddlers in diapers, occupied also the whirlpools. Interview with a deck officer: “As long as they wear any kind of protection (!), toddlers are welcome in the whirlpools and pools”. Has Princess never heard from E-coli or Noro virus?

Food and Service

Service in all areas was outstanding. Dining room food selection and quality during the first days was good and improving towards the second half of the trip to excellent.

Selection and quality of the buffets better than on other cruises. Good alternative to dining room if you don’t want to dress up. Anytime dining was chaotic the first night, but OK for the rest of the cruise.

While the Horizon Court was always over-crowded for breakfast, we found enough empty tables and shorter lines in the Café Caribe.

Entertainment

While we don’t care specially for the production shows and the Cruise Directors with their old and boring jokes, we really enjoyed some great artists – e.g. Life Wire (Violin-Guitar duo), Al Katz (Comedian) and Johnny Thunder (Singer). We skipped the Captain’s Club party – to many people standing in line for a free drink.

Layout and decoration

The ship showed for the whole cruise the Christmas decoration including multiples Christmas trees. The staterooms are very tasteful decorated with nice colors and a very good layout. The layout of the ship is a little weird: One dining room and the nightclub are only accessible by the aft elevators and there is no connection to the rest of the ship. The atrium doesn’t do justice to the size of the ship – the good old Regal Princess had a much better layout.

There is not enough deck space for the Caribbean with over 3000 passengers (see “Chair hogs”).

Itinerary and excursions

Princess Cays: Nearly as nice as HAL’s “Half Moon Cay”. Beach buffet very simple.

St. Thomas: We took the Red Hook ferry to our preferred “Cinnamon beach”.

Dominica: We enjoyed the Aerial Tram (for the second time!).

Grenada: Another green island – had the best excursion with Mandoo (known from Cruise Critic) – he knows his island and is a reliable driver.

Bonaire: The “Dutch Sailing Ship” – with the “quiet” Fred – was our choice and we liked it.

Aruba: Princess had to use the container port, while RCCL and AIDA docked at the nice cruise terminal. Long walk into town with thousands of tourists. Back to the ship and enjoyed a nearly empty pool deck!

Disembarkation

Best disembarkation ever: 7:40 AM at assigned lounge, 7:50 off the ship and 8:30 in our car leaving the Park N” Fly parking lot. Temperature in FLL 60 degree and raining!

This was a great cruise and we would choose Princess again if the itinerary meets our goals, but would prefer a smaller ship, e.g. Celebrity’s M-Class.

Peter.

Pools = Chair hogs and toddlers in the whirlpools

Most of the days by 8:00 AM hundreds of towels, shoes, books and even bananas (!) were used to “reserve” all chairs on all level of decks. The deck attendants refused to do anything (Interview: “ We are afraid of the passenger’s reactions and don’t have any instruction from Princess”). Not excited about this . . . when we were on the Star, there was no problem getting the attendants to move the property. Although I always watched for at least 1/2 an hour before asking. Did they have the notice in the Patter about no saving of chairs? The sanctuary is sounding better . . . did you try it, or have any info on it?

The two main pools were 100 % in children’s hand. The youngsters – including toddlers in diapers, occupied also the whirlpools. Interview with a deck officer: “As long as they wear any kind of protection (!), toddlers are welcome in the whirlpools and pools”. Has Princess never heard from E-coli or Noro virus? YUCK!!!!! Just don't get it . . .

Itinerary and excursions

St. Thomas: We took the Red Hook ferry to our preferred “Cinnamon beach”. I read that there was a ferry right from Crown Bay, do you know anything about it? Please tell us about Cinnamon Bay - access, chairs, bar, etc.

Peter.

Thank you for such a quick review. I am always jealous of those people that don't have to fly for 10 hours before they reach their destination :) . . .

Thanks for the review.

Re hundreds of Canadians onboard - it's cold up here!!:D We need to escape.

I am disgusted that the cruise staff did not do anything about the toddlers in the pool. Correct me if I'm wrong...isn't there a pool for kids onboard? If so, why are they not relegated to that pool?

We are looking forward to sailing on the Emerald in February.

There is no toddler/kids pool on the Emerald. However, Princess does have a rule that no children in diapers are to be in pools or hot tubs, so I have no idea why the staff was unwilling to inforce this rule. Of course it's a novovirus waiting to happen; I'll alert Princess Customer Service Monday if no one already has.

I addressed this w/ senior deck attendant... he got one diapered kid out of hot tub but on the other side another went in... gross....

I'm off to Adult AI's from here on in.... Gross....:eek:

Also, woman diapering kids on the pool chairs... no diaper pad or anything Double gross.... attendant talked to her but it was spanish and he was spanish so I had no idea what he said but I can tell ya it wasn't what I said.

I just used the adult spa pool....

Really thankful for your fair and detailed review. We sail in March and I am looking forward to it. When we sailed on Princess we used to get our photos taken with the Captain. I guess with the amount of people on board nowadays, they have given up that practice at the Captain's cocktail party.

Thanks again. Happy Cruising.

Hi all!

I was on the same cruise as Peterm, and frankly have about the same comments!

The ship is indeed beautiful but seems to lack public spaces and deck space for so many people.

Food was in my opinion very good. Anytime was a bit of a mess for the first few days... had over 1.5 hr wait on the first two nights!! When we booked this cruise 9 months ahead we were #990 on the waiting list for 2nd seating, and obviously never made it. So many people we talked to were in the same situation... just don't understand why Princess maintains more seats on Anytime than on Traditional...

Really my only problem with this cruise, as noted by Peterm, is Princess lack of support of its own rules... the towel and chair reservation on deck was absurb and the staff did not want to be involved - their response was that they did not want confrontation with the passengers... instead, we witnessed two confrontations between passengers - on at the pool, and one at the theater... not fun.

As for our excursions, we had 2 out 4 Princess booked excursions cancelled. One the day before with no chances of rebooking anything with Princess (in Dominica, ended up taking a taxi tour), and the other one in Bonaire, cancelled 1 hours before arriving in Bonaire - so we missed out there. Thank god I had something else arranges for later on that day.

One other thing, and don't think this is petty, it is simply a comment. On New Year's Eve, Princess threw a great party with bands, balloons, hats etc. Call me crazy but I thought they would at least serve a glass of bubbly to celebrate the New Year, geez, they serve it at Art Auction... but no, if we wanted bubbly, we had to buy it. Regardless of the free glass, I know they would have sold a ton of it as people want to drink the real stuff, but the gesture would have been appreciated.

Overall, other than a couple of issues I think will need to be addressed by Princess, we enjoyed ourselves. The itinerary is fabulous!!

MC

Wow Marie - I didn't know they didn't have chamagne on New Year's Eve. I went to be too early that night to notice, but did assume they would offer that. They did have it at the champage waterfall, but you would have thought they would have also done it for New Year's Eve.

I can only echo what other have written as far as the cruise. I, too had frustration regarding deck chairs. I hung out at the Terrace Pool and never was able to get a chair. I made use of the ledge on the side of the pool. I watched and some afternoons there were several chairs covered with a towel or bag and in 3 hours time, no one ever sat in them. I just find it so selfish and rude of others. I also had to put up with men deciding to smoke big cigars sitting on the pool on 2 different days. I wasn't sure if that was allowed or not, but I sure know it ruined my precious time relaxing by the pool. There were also a couple of times that young children got in this adult-only pool. I observed a woman reminding the kids that this pool was for adults and their mother got very short with her. I don't think passengers should have to police the pool, but isn't it a shame that adults can't follow simple rules and use good manners?

Pam

.....Really my only problem with this cruise, as noted by Peterm, is Princess lack of support of its own rules... the towel and chair reservation on deck was absurb and the staff did not want to be involved - their response was that they did not want confrontation with the passengers... instead, we witnessed two confrontations between passengers - on at the pool, and one at the theater... not fun...........Overall, other than a couple of issues I think will need to be addressed by Princess, we enjoyed ourselves. The itinerary is fabulous!!

MC

Wild Wild West <--Civilization-->Police State

Why can't we all just get along?

Peterm - Peter

Thank you for an excellent review. We will be on the next cruise following the same itinerary leaving on the 15th. It's good to read a good review even though it is subjective. Careful training is necessary for it to be objective - I know - I've been a Hotel quality assurance assessor and the training is intensive!!

Diapers and chair hogs seem to be a problem - hopefully the former might not be an issue next week.

One question please - we have booked an independant trip for six of us on Dominica to include the Aerial Tram (We have done it previously in Costa Rica - same Company). Was yours done through Princess or as we are doing and what was the fare element for the tram please.

Thanks,

Colin:) :)

Colin,

One question please - we have booked an independant trip for six of us on Dominica to include the Aerial Tram (We have done it previously in Costa Rica - same Company). Was yours done through Princess or as we are doing and what was the fare element for the tram please.

Thanks,

Colin:) :)

We booked though Princess and paid $ 129.00/person for transfer, tram fare and a rum-punch. They offer one or two other options (With visits of waterfalls and/or lunch). I could not see anywhere a published fare for the tram only. Anyway - it is a nice bus drive through the rain forest and then a 90 minute tram ride with a guide - very relaxing and interesting. You may leave the tram at the top and walk down over the suspension bridge and then re-bord the tram at kind of middle station. Enjoy!

Peter

Hi

We were on Dec.6-16 sailing, at the beginning of the noro-virus, I think-gauging from comments from cruisers on the ship after us.

I'm glad those who reviewed had a nice time. We enjoyed ourselves. I hung out at the aft deck area on most days-pretty quiet back there. Also, ate out there on several occasions from the Horizon Court or Cafe Caribe-even a formal night. There weren't any children back there, either.

There were only 19 on the ship from one person's count.

We did notice that the window tables by the pools were reserved or taken on most days by card players or people just reading. A couple of times I noticed deck hands removing towels, but that was only in the evening, under direction, while starting to set up for MUTS. I sat at a table by myself for a meal by the pool-just moved a lonely towel to another chair. Nobody came for it.

Hubby would have preferred to have free ice cream on deck. One afternoon there was some in the Horizon Court-but it wasn't overly advertised-someone told us about it.

All in all we had a pleasant time and are looking forward to our cruise on the Ruby Princess in November.

Lynne

Archived