I need real info on freestyle dining

3GR8Sons

We are a group of 9 who would like to cruise together the week of Christmas 2008. Please don't suggest another date. It's not what we want. The casual crusing experience on NCL appeals to us, but we are afraid that the whole dining issue will make our experience unpleasant. Dining is a big issue. We like fine food and the kids really enjoy the meals on their cruises.

We have cruised on Carnival and Princess and enjoyed both lines.

I would like your real life experience with freestyle dining. We like to eat between 6:30-7:30. Any earlier is to early and any later the younger kids are exhausted. How difficult is it to get seated, and how far in advance do you need to make reservations?

To me, if I can't eat when I want, OR dinner is a big PITA I would skip NCL. Also-what is the food like? Can anyone share what the menus were like?

With a group of 9 I would stick to restaurants where you need a reservation, that way you can eat when you're supposed to eat and they'll be ready for you. And to get a reservation at a specific time I would make it as soon as you get on the ship.

With a group that big, I would stay away from the main restaurants where they don't take reservations. We were on the Dawn with a group of 12 and one poor soul always had to go and put our name in while the rest of us had drinks in our room. Not a big deal in the long run for us, but you may think differently.

It was the same for us on the POAm last year. There were 8 of us (not quite as bad) and there was always a wait if we were not at a specialty restaurant. The wait at the Italian restaurant was 45 min! Yikes. But again, not time we actually spent waiting, just put our name in and did not get a table until 45 min. later.

I've only Cruised Carnival other than NCL, but IMO NCLs food is not as good. It's good, but I thought Carnival's food was excellent.

I personally don't cruise NCL for the food. I cruise for the itinerary. Plus we're kinda getting roped in by being lattitudes members, LOL. But seriously though, if the food was bad we wouldn't be repeat customers. :-)

Forgot one thing:

I wanted to add that IMO the buffet food is quite good. I don't know if that is an option for your kids or even the whole group, but usually about one during our cruise we just want to have a quick meal and I thought the NCL buffet dinner food was just as good as in the main restaurants.

With a group of 9 I would stick to restaurants where you need a reservation, that way you can eat when you're supposed to eat and they'll be ready for you. And to get a reservation at a specific time I would make it as soon as you get on the ship.

With a group that big, I would stay away from the main restaurants where they don't take reservations. We were on the Dawn with a group of 12 and one poor soul always had to go and put our name in while the rest of us had drinks in our room. Not a big deal in the long run for us, but you may think differently.

It was the same for us on the POAm last year. There were 8 of us (not quite as bad) and there was always a wait if we were not at a specialty restaurant. The wait at the Italian restaurant was 45 min! Yikes. But again, not time we actually spent waiting, just put our name in and did not get a table until 45 min. later.

I've only Cruised Carnival other than NCL, but IMO NCLs food is not as good. It's good, but I thought Carnival's food was excellent.

I personally don't cruise NCL for the food. I cruise for the itinerary. Plus we're kinda getting roped in by being lattitudes members, LOL. But seriously though, if the food was bad we wouldn't be repeat customers. :-)

That may change when Freestyle 2.0 is completely in place. The upgrades include a 20% increase in food per passenger, per day. That's significant.

We are a group of 9 who would like to cruise together the week of Christmas 2008. Please don't suggest another date. It's not what we want. The casual crusing experience on NCL appeals to us, but we are afraid that the whole dining issue will make our experience unpleasant. Dining is a big issue. We like fine food and the kids really enjoy the meals on their cruises.

I would like your real life experience with freestyle dining. We like to eat between 6:30-7:30. Any earlier is to early and any later the younger kids are exhausted. How difficult is it to get seated, and how far in advance do you need to make reservations?

To me, if I can't eat when I want, OR dinner is a big PITA I would skip NCL. Also-what is the food like? Can anyone share what the menus were like?

NCL has announced Freestyle 2.0, a major change in the on board experience so it may be hard to answer some of your questions. the one that can be answered is that you cannot make dining reservations until you are on board and only for a day in advance.

What ship are you looking at? The newer ships have more dining choices and also the real new ships have electronic reservation systems.

But, the others are right. They will take group reservations in the main dining rooms for groups of 8 or larger BUT only for times before 6:15 or after 8:15...not during the prime dining hours of 6:15-8:15 p.m.. That would leave you with the specialty restaurants as your only options for a set dining time for that size of group, but the reservation system is chaotic and you can only make reservations 48 hours ahead and they fill quickly from what the recent reports are saying. The other thing to remember is that most of the specialty restaurants do have a surcharge.

Ships like the Majesty, Dream, Sun and POA have less specialty dining options than the Dawn, Star, Gem, etc..

I will try to give you as honest of answers as I can in order for you to make a properly informed decision.

"That may change when Freestyle 2.0 is completely in place. The upgrades include a 20% increase in food per passenger, per day. That's significant."

Coffee- that is interesting. I haven't been to CC in about 9 mos. so I hadn't heard of this.

If what you say is true then they are very smart. I hope that is the case.

When are these changes supposed to take place?

If you can't eat when you want you will skip NCL, what about your past cruises? You had no choices. That being said, you can discuss this with the matre D the day you get on the ship or try emailing the ship coordinator prior to sailing.

As for menus, I am sure many can post what is being used now, but you are talking about a year from now with changes going into affect. Food is subjective, many will tell you NCL is certainly a step above Carnival, others will say Carnival is better. Seeing what lines you have cruised I am sure you will find NCL food to your liking. Will every meal be memorable? Nope, you are dining in a 4 or 5 star restaurant but the food is certainly good with some meals being outstanding.

Hope this helps some, the decision will ultimately be yours to make.

Nita

Maybe you were not aware that you could make a standing reservation with a large group as soon as you were on the ship.

Nita

Do people like freestyle or do they just tolerate it? It sounds like a colossal PITA to me.

We haven't looked at specific ships yet, I was trying to gather information before I call my TA. She doesn't love NCL and freestyle dining is one of the reasons she gave me for disliking it. I didn't want to just get her opinion but it does really sound like a PITA, plus I don't want to have to pay extra for every meal just to avoid a long wait.

If you can't eat when you want you will skip NCL, what about your past cruises? You had no choices. That being said, you can discuss this with the matre D the day you get on the ship or try emailing the ship coordinator prior to sailing.

As for menus, I am sure many can post what is being used now, but you are talking about a year from now with changes going into affect. Food is subjective, many will tell you NCL is certainly a step above Carnival, others will say Carnival is better. Seeing what lines you have cruised I am sure you will find NCL food to your liking. Will every meal be memorable? Nope, you are dining in a 4 or 5 star restaurant but the food is certainly good with some meals being outstanding.

Hope this helps some, the decision will ultimately be yours to make.

Nita

It's not true that we had no choices on Carnival or Princess. Carnival had 4 different seatings (2 early, 2 later, with staggered times). Princess had 2 seatings and also had anytime dining, which is similar to freestyle. Plus both Carnival and Princess had specialty restaurants on board. We did not try either but they were there.

We found the food good on Carnival, better on Princess. Neither was exceptional all the time but both were better than average, with some excellent meals to be had on both lines.

Do people like freestyle or do they just tolerate it? It sounds like a colossal PITA to me.

We haven't looked at specific ships yet, I was trying to gather information before I call my TA. She doesn't love NCL and freestyle dining is one of the reasons she gave me for disliking it. I didn't want to just get her opinion but it does really sound like a PITA, plus I don't want to have to pay extra for every meal just to avoid a long wait.

some people love it some people tolerate it and some people hate it. Its just like being at a resort. You have to decide what you are going to do. There is always food and its not an issue for me. The food is good. I enjoy it but for 9 people you should see the maitre d as it may be better to get a standing reservation. It is more work than set times for traditional cruise lines....but not that much....

On carnival once you make your choice you pretty much live with it the whole cruise. NCL you can make the decision day by day....

Yes, I love Freestyle.

If you had ever sat at a table for eight with four noxious little brats with terrible parents, you'll know why I prefer a table for two.

Personally I love Freestyle Cruising for the following basic reasons:

1.) You can dine with WHO you want. No set tablemates who you are forced to eat with.

2.) You can eat WHERE you want. Up to 10 different dining choices depending on the ship.

3.) You can eat WHEN you want. No set dining times and no setting your schedule to make sure you are there when they tell you to be.

4.) No being herded like cattle into public rooms waiting to disembark. You can remain in your cabin until called to disembark.

and my favorite:

5.) You can dine HOW you want. No mandatory Formal nights. You can wear resort casual (polo shirts, kahki pants, sneakers) to dinner EVERY night in EVERY venue. No being forced to go to the buffet just because you aren't dressed up. If you like to dress up....then go for it. You can dress any and every night that you want! It is totally up to you as to how you dress.

Freestyle is fast becoming the future of cruising. Princess, Royal Carribean, and even Holland America have all adopted parts of the Freestyle Concept with more on the way to those cruise lines. Look for Celebrity to be next. If it wasn't successful (or popular) would those other lines be copying it???

for us it's the only way that works. we don't eat at set hours... we never know what we want to eat, beforehand..last cruise was perfect freesytle,

2 days we snacked all day, a little here and a little there..

other days, we ate sometimes together and sometimes not, for dinner, if we turned left, leaving the room, we had several choices...right, other choices. we didn't pre-think our dining 5 of the 7 days.

never been different then going out to eat here in town. even when we had a party of 7 on the cruise last year.

Please stick with your favorite cruise lines. Otherwise, you might be a PITA on my cruise! I've never seen a post as arrogant as yours.

Personally, I loved freestyle. Traveled with a group of 11 back in July. We had little trouble with dining together in the main dining rooms, but we normally ate at 8:00 pm or later. Only had to wait to be seated once and that was "lobster night" and it was for about 10 minutes. We made reservations in two of the restaurants that required them a day in advance and again, no problems.

Can't say that everyone is going to have the same experience, but my group was thrilled to be able to eat when they wanted. It certainly made for a more enjoyable and relaxed experience for us. YMMV.

Personally, I loved freestyle. Traveled with a group of 11 back in July. We had little trouble with dining together in the main dining rooms, but we normally ate at 8:00 pm or later. Only had to wait to be seated once and that was "lobster night" and it was for about 10 minutes. We made reservations in two of the restaurants that required them a day in advance and again, no problems. Everyone in my group was thrilled to be able to eat when they wanted; it certainly made for a more enjoyable and relaxed experience for us.

I think freestyle dining is great. It gives you the freedom of changing up where you eat, when you eat, and gives you a variety.

We choose NCL because of this option.

Now, the older crowd seems not to like it because they are used to the old ways of cruise dining. If you like to eat dinner every night at the same time and have the same waiter, you will not like freestyle dining.

Just make your reservations for all of you at the different restaurants and I believe you will be happy.

Also freestyle dining is nice so that you can enjoy your time at the ports and not have to rush back for dinner.

Sorry, double post.

We went back to traditional dining on RCCL this past August. We realized we really love Freestyle. Rushing to dinner at 5:30 was not enjoyable to us. We are really looking forward to Freestyle on the Dawn this May.

As for the food: We enjoy the food on NCL but actually liked the food on Carnival a little better. RCCL did not measure up to either line. We went to dinner last night at "The Culinary Institute of America" in Hyde Park NY. We enjoyed it but it was not quite as good as NCL. We actually had some simular dishes at both and NCL won. You must remember that food is definately each persons opinion.

Happy Cruising!:)

Jeanne

Personally I love Freestyle Cruising for the following basic reasons:

1.) You can dine with WHO you want. No set tablemates who you are forced to eat with.

2.) You can eat WHERE you want. Up to 10 different dining choices depending on the ship.

3.) You can eat WHEN you want. No set dining times and no setting your schedule to make sure you are there when they tell you to be.

4.) No being herded like cattle into public rooms waiting to disembark. You can remain in your cabin until called to disembark.

and my favorite:

5.) You can dine HOW you want. No mandatory Formal nights. You can wear resort casual (polo shirts, kahki pants, sneakers) to dinner EVERY night in EVERY venue. No being forced to go to the buffet just because you aren't dressed up. If you like to dress up....then go for it. You can dress any and every night that you want! It is totally up to you as to how you dress.

Freestyle is fast becoming the future of cruising. Princess, Royal Carribean, and even Holland America have all adopted parts of the Freestyle Concept with more on the way to those cruise lines. Look for Celebrity to be next. If it wasn't successful (or popular) would those other lines be copying it???

DAG is totally correct on all his points, but this is why I simply tolerate Freestyle: (and please keep my views in perspective. We may be booking a third NCL cruise for March.)

1 I don't mind being forced to sit with others. I've enjoyed it on my past cruises. Admittedly if I'd had a bad experience I might think otherwise.

2 I find the food to be good but not excellent so giving me 8 good or average choices with only a one or two excellent choices (IMO) is no better than having one excellent place to eat. Plus in traditional cruising the dining room may always be the same, but the food is just as varied.

3 I don't mind a set time for Caribbean cruises. Usually they aren't that port intensive. And on traditional cruises you never have to wait for a table. Now, for our Hawaiian cruise I thought this was a TOTAL plus. When you're in port for more than a few hours, eating anytime you want is fantastic.

4- I don't have strong feelings about this.

5. Again, I like dressing up so I really enjoy the formal nights.

In other words I don't view Freestyle as a monumental improvment b/c I had no problems with traditional cruising to begin with.

I think other lines are copying NCL b/c the idea of Freestyle is great. I think their problem is in the execution. But perhaps their response to that is this "Freestyle 2.0." When we went on the Dawn in 2002 it was maybe the 3rd sailing and I believe Freestyle was relatively new. We were never told we could make a standing reservation and our TA was a member of our group.

But this is why we have choices. And we vote with our dollars. Though if the OP chooses to try NCL I will be interested to hear what he says.

It's a PITA; I'd skip NCL and stay with your other cruise lines.:rolleyes:

Obviously, you have never come across this situation with those cruise lines yet, NOT GETTING YOUR REQUESTED TIME!

I have asked for early dining and have received late dining, or asked for late dining and received early dining. Once the chairs and tables are gone, you suffer.

Archived