Bikinis and the middle aged woman!

mindy1957

So....when do you know when it's time to put away the bikini? What if you're 50 and still look good in a bikini?

Should you go for it, or wear something more age appropriate?

Should I wear something like this:

https://www.shirleyandcompany.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23&osCsid=2ecda63a12c8a894f340815c88a04557

Or a fuller cut bikini?

Help!

I'm not aware of an age limit. If you still look great in a bikini, why not???

I have a boss who will be 60 this year and she has a better body than many 16 year olds. She tells me she has at least 50 bikinis in her possesion, she's a little addicted I think. But, they have a boat, a house in Mexico and she's still a surfer, she needs more suits than most of us.

Me, on the other hand, did not wear a bikini when I was in my 20's. I don't think I felt comfortable in a bathing suit at all until I was in my 40's and stopped obsessing about it so much.

The suit pictured is very attractive and I'd wear it. The color is another matter....I live in the Phoenix area and once wore a black bathing suit out in the sun. The black attracted the sun right through the suit and I got a bad sunburn. Now I stick to lighter colors.

If you look good in a bikini and feel comfortable in one, why not wear it. Some bodies look good at 65 and others don't at 40. I am perhaps my worst critic...I know if I look good in something or not.

The suit pictured is very attractive and I'd wear it. The color is another matter....I live in the Phoenix area and once wore a black bathing suit out in the sun. The black attracted the sun right through the suit and I got a bad sunburn. Now I stick to lighter colors.

If you look good in a bikini and feel comfortable in one, why not wear it. Some bodies look good at 65 and others don't at 40. I am perhaps my worst critic...I know if I look good in something or not.

Wow...thanks to both of you. It's very encouraging....I only hope I can still wear one when I'm in my 60's!

About burning through your suit. I started putting on my sunscreen in the room (cabin) while I'm totally undressed. That way you can get your entire body....I usually don't miss any spots either.

Wow...thanks to both of you. It's very encouraging....I only hope I can still wear one when I'm in my 60's!

About burning through your suit. I started putting on my sunscreen in the room (cabin) while I'm totally undressed. That way you can get your entire body....I usually don't miss any spots either.

So....when do you know when it's time to put away the bikini? What if you're 50 and still look good in a bikini?

https://www.shirleyandcompany.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23&osCsid=2ecda63a12c8a894f340815c88a04557

Or a fuller cut bikini?

Help!

Wearing a bikini has nothing to do with age. I work very hard at staying fit and in shape...and I have no intentions of putting mine away. I am over 50, and recently I wore one to the beach on a first date...with no complaints. ;) Honestly if you can't tell by looking in a mirror, then ask a friend who'll be honest with you.

Wearing a bikini has nothing to do with age. I work very hard at staying fit and in shape...and I have no intentions of putting mine away. I am over 50, and recently I wore one to the beach on a first date...with no complaints. ;) Honestly if you can't tell by looking in a mirror, then ask a friend who'll be honest with you.

Here's what I fear. I fear the day someone tells me that I should move on to a tankini or 1 piece, even though I know that they're right.

I've worked so hard at keeping my body fit....but I know the day will come when I have to move on! :cool:

One of my girlfriends is turning 49 this week and has a rockin' bod and still wears a thong on certain beaches.

Of course she worlks very hard at keeping her body in good shape.

I think if it looks good, wear it.

BTW, the one piece on that model? That isn't a modest bathing suit at all. It many instances, a one piece is more revealing than a bikini.

Here's what I fear. I fear the day someone tells me that I should move on to a tankini or 1 piece, even though I know that they're right.

I've worked so hard at keeping my body fit....but I know the day will come when I have to move on! :cool:

Now I don't see that as anything to fear at all. ;) But not waking up to that day...that is something to fear! :D

I have often told the story of the 50 something woman no more then a size 8-probally a 4 or 6 that I saw in Martinuque back in 2000. At the time I was 46 and very jealous! that is until she removed her top (topless beach) and I saw her breasts sagged much more then mine.

But before she did that she looked GREAT in her bikini.

Now me, by the time I was 32 or so I could not longer wear a bikini and look attractive-so it has been many, many, years and well before middle age when I put away my bikini.

I'll be 50 in April, and will be wearing my bikinis on the Caribbean Princess in 2 weeks! :D I'm going with my best friend since college, and know she will be SURE to tell me when it's time to hang it up!

Like you, I work very hard to stay fit, and am in probably the best shape of my life. So wear it and be proud!

Cathy

I'm 53 and wear a rather small suit! As long as you look good in it--with nothing rolling over the material!, go for it! If, on the other hand, you would be mortified if anyone you knew saw you in it--it's time to stop wearing it! That's the test!

I'm 53 and wear a rather small suit! As long as you look good in it--with nothing rolling over the material!, go for it! If, on the other hand, you would be mortified if anyone you knew saw you in it--it's time to stop wearing it! That's the test!

I remember once seeing a gal in a g-string bikini who was at least a size 16-probally more like a 20. she looked terrible and no she was not 50-no more then 25 would be my guess.

Age has nothing to do with it. Being obese does. Obese women just do not look very flattering in bikinis-no matter how young they are.

cb....that's a perfect way to tell!

If someone tells you that....they're jealous! :D If you can rock it, wear it!!

Unfortunately that "mortified" feeling is never felt by many that should.:D

Or a fuller cut bikini?

Help!

If you are 50 and still look good in a bikini I would suggest you wear one !!:)

If someone tells you that....they're jealous! :D If you can rock it, wear it!!

Yep there are a few catty gals out there. but surely the OP has friends who are not catty. I know a few gals who I will be nice and call " friends" (with friends like that who needs enemys?)who are catty like that-but I also know I have friends that will tell me the truth. They may do it tactfully but they will tell me the truth.

You know how you know when it is the truth? If you look in the mirror and and sort've feel you shouldn't and your friend agrees with you-then no she is not catty but honest.

On the other hand if you KNOW you shouldn't and she says you look fine-then I would say she is catty-as she wants to look better then you! LOL!

I think we know when we shouldn't-just sometimes we want assurance from a friend.

Yep there are a few catty gals out there. but surely the OP has friends who are not catty. I know a few gals who I will be nice and call " friends" (with friends like that who needs enemys?)who are catty like that-but I also know I have friends that will tell me the truth. They may do it tactfully but they will tell me the truth.

You know how you know when it is the truth? If you look in the mirror and and sort've feel you shouldn't and your friend agrees with you-then no she is not catty but honest.

On the other hand if you KNOW you shouldn't and she says you look fine-then I would say she is catty-as she wants to look better then you! LOL!

I think we know when we shouldn't-just sometimes we want assurance from a friend.

Exactly. If someone tells you something because they are jealous, then that person is not a friend. That shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Of course it's hard for me to understand why some women are not able to figure out what looks good on them, what looks okay, and what looks downright frightening :eek:. Maybe it's harder if you live alone...I do have my son to bounce things off of...and he is very honest with me...sometimes TOO honest! :p

I am 60 and still look good in a bikini. I weigh 145 pounds and am 5ft 7" When I look around at the humungous younger bodies near me, I don't worry about what I look like in a bikini.

Can anyone tell me why a woman weighing 175 + pounds wears a bikini?

I am 60 and still look good in a bikini. I weigh 145 pounds and am 5ft 7" When I look around at the humungous younger bodies near me, I don't worry about what I look like in a bikini.

Well if she is 6 feet tall, she would probably look great. Weight does not mean a thing, by itself.

I am 60 and still look good in a bikini. I weigh 145 pounds and am 5ft 7" When I look around at the humongous younger bodies near me, I don't worry about what I look like in a bikini.

Because she can if she so chooses.

EEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW.. Id HOPE that a gal wouldnt wear a bikini if she just wants to.... alot to be said here... Im one of those 50 somethings, and dont need to even be IN a swimsuit. i have let this ole bod just go to peices. but... heres MY take on it... as we age, and im speaking of myself here. our skin changes. it gets thinner, and not as attractive as young skin. (wish i still had that young skin) Its hard to say not seeing what ya look like for us to say 'yes you can wear a bikini', or NO, you dont need to be in a bikini at that age.... I say, be a little descreet, act your age, and wear a swimsuit approprietly. sometimes a full swimsuit is MUCH more attractive than a bikini. as we age, we just cant handle getting into that not so showey part of life. sometimes, showing 'less is best'. BUT, if you cant handle covering up, go ahead, maybe you will look good, maybe you dont. who are we to judge? enjoy life, do what ya want and just be happy at it... ya only live once!!!

Just a touch off subject, but the website is one that I have not come across before. Has anyone ordered from them and what if the experience?

PS - At 55 I usually try to stay with a tankini, but if I keep going with the personal trainer, I'm hoping to be able to wear something in a two piece. Jan

Archived