Newbie questions about Western Med cruise

Hi!

We are booked for our first ever cruise and first ever trip to Europe. I will probably bug the crap out of you guys with questions. Please bear with me! We will be traveling from Barcelona to Valleta, Naples, Rome, Pisa/Florence, and Villefrance.

For now I have 2 questions.

First, I have heard you really have to watch out for pickpockets in Naples (I am sure in other areas also) How have you carried your money when you have been there? I have a small camera case I generally use with a zipper. Will this suffice??

Second, I keep reading you need to wear comfortable shoes for all the walking we might do, but that you need to look nice if you go in any churches/cathedrals. I generally wear tennis shoes for my comfortable shoes, will this work if we go to a cathedral?? i dont want to offend anyone.

Thanks guys!!!!

Hi

No need to worry! We're booked on a similar cruise (with RCCI) except that we're not visiting Malta on our itinerary. Being British we've been to virtually all of the ports of call already as Europe is on our doorstep, but we've decided to do this cruise so that we can pick and choose where we get off the ship. It means that we'll have time to enjoy more of the facilities onboard - something we didn't get a chance to do on our Caribbean cruise last year.

Naples is like any other busy, bustling city. Just take the precautions you would normally take. Keep your wallet, credit cards, passport etc in an inside, zipped pocket or secure bag that isn't open. If possible use a bum bag (or fanny pack as I think it's called in the US), or a bag with a long strap that can cross across your body. This will stop the opportunist bag snatcher on a moped/scooter. To be honest, we've never had a problem when in Europe or the middle east, and the one time it DID happen to me was in my own home city centre in Liverpool about 10 years ago.

As for visiting churches etc. There's no need to 'look nice' or smart. All that is generally required in the smaller, orthodox places of worship is that shoulders are covered. Tennis shoes, sandals, flip flops are all okay. I've been in many tourist trap churches wearing shorts and t-shirt (in common with everyone else on the day) without problem. The only time I needed to cover up slightly was in Egypt and Turkey when visiting mosques, and in small monastery churches in a couple of Greek islands. All of these had a big 'dressing up' box outside for visitors to borrow shawls, long skirts etc to wear over their clothes whilst inside the church.

If you've not been to Europe before, you're in for a treat! We've just booked flights for our second trip to Las Vegas in October. That's a treat for us as there's nothing like Vegas in Europe! :p

Lilbecky, comfortable shoes are a must.

MimLloyd covered most of it, but I have to disagree on one thing. Shorts and t-shirts are VERY disrespectful in churches. At the Vatican, you will not let you enter if you have shorts on or your shoulders are exposed. Casual is ok, but not shorts or tank tops.

Get a money belt that can be tucked inside your clothing. No fanny packs. Anything that can be grabbed or cut is dangerous. They don't want to hurt you, just take your possessions.

We just went the end of November.... Rome, Naples, Dubrovnik, Corfu, Livorno(Florence/Pisa), Villefranche(Nice), Toulon(Provence) ending in Barcelona.

I also agree with other posters. I was very worried about the gypsy/pickpocket issue but we did not find this to be a point of worry. Be mindful of your surroundings, don't flash your money around, hold on to your purse/camera bag and just use common sense and you will be fine.

As for churches, no shorts or bare shoulders were allowed in ANY of the churches we went to. And we hit a bunch :eek: From small monastary on Corfu to large cathedrals in all the rest. Many times you will see vendors out front selling beautiful scarves. These are not necessarily for your head- I found out many people buy them to cover their shoulders or wrap around their waist to cover shorts.

We found the people in Europe to dress so very nicely. Much better than here.....it was blatantly obvious. All our private guides told us it is a standard joke with Europeans...... white tennis shoes mean Americans. I did not take any. I had 2 really comfy pairs - 1 black and 1 brown I used the whole trip. One pair was Naturalizers and the other was Clarks. And we did a ton of walking...... not a blister or sore anything.

You will have a blast....first cruise and first Europe visit. :D

And ask away. That is what these boards are for.

Most Europeans don't wear shorts- they wear jeans and dark shoes. Women tend to wear sun dresses or jeans or cargo pants- not many shorts. I wear whatever I feel like. I usually wear capri pants and polo shirts or nice tops or a skirt and t shirt. I personally can't stand wearing jeans in the summer. And I wear white deck shoes for the most part- I probably stand out like an "American". That's ok.As for money and camera- be very vigilant. I was robbed of my camera and change purse in Barcelona.

On the pickpocket question, may I suggest that you take the opportunity to check through the forum archives - there have been extensive recent postings on this topic.

My wife and I were in Naples last year as part of a land holiday. I went around with an SLR camera round my neck and camera bag on my shoulder. We travelled by Circumvesuviana train into and out of the central station, used the metro, and walked for half an hour down from the National Archeological Museum into the port. We had no problems, but were not wearing cruisewear, and kept aware of our surroundings.

However, we were going to drive up to Vesuvius and leave our car (a Saab convertible with UK plates) in the car park whilst we walked the last part, but the hotel receptionist advised us not to do so as we were likely to find the car gone when we came back down. In the end we didn't go because of bad weather.

Paul S

We have been to the Med many times including last year on a Full World Cruise.

Yes, Naples is a big problem in terms of pickpockets. For this particular port of call the cruise line advised pasengers not to wear valuable jewelry in port and to watch for piclpockets. And they were right. We know of at least three people who had situations with pickpockets and I am sure there were more.

So, caution is good but caution is good almost anywhere whether walking around a city in the USA or somewhere else.

I would recommend keeping all good jewelry on board in the safe. When we visit ports I will carry some money, one atm card, one credit card and my shipboard card in a wallet that goes around my neck and under my shirt and I wear a very inexpensive watch in port. And my wife does not wear jewelry in port.

And when we walk around we are observant and what I would call street smart.

So, yes be careful in Naples. We have also found similar problems in Barcelona, particularly with the Gypsies. I found that in our last couple of times in Rome that there were lots less Gypsies then on previous trips.

But, again, be street smart as you would be in any city.

In terms of churches, used to be that the women needed to wear long skirts but not anymore. If you wear something like Capris you will be fine.

Have a wonderful time. We have enjoyed our Mediterranean cruises. Just be observant.

Keith

If you've not been to Europe before, you're in for a treat! We've just booked flights for our second trip to Las Vegas in October. That's a treat for us as there's nothing like Vegas in Europe! :p

Enjoy your trip to Vegas. I went for the first time last year... there is definitely nothing like Vegas...anywhere!! :D

note to self:

-find non white tennis shoes

-dont bring bright flowerly tops (darn it all!!!)

:D

Archived