Baltic Cruise

We are cruising Denmark, Norway, Helsinki, Poland, Russia, Estonia in September of 2008. I read that you can not walk around on your own without a Russian Visa while in St. Petersburg.

I'm trying to find out if you got the Visa and walked around and if you thought it was worth it or did you take a shore excursion and was that a better idea.

Thanks for any input as well as any tips for shopping, dining, touring these ports.

Oh, and GEAUX TIGERS! :D

You are better off to do a ship's tour or private tour in Russia. EG:Red October, Denrus

It is a very big city & unless your speak & read Russian you could waste more time just getting from place to place.

Also depening on where your ship docks could also be a problem some dock in the city but some dock up the river at the commercial port no taxi's there to get out of the port area.

If I may make a suggestion. As part of the European Ports of Call Section on Cruise Critic there is a board on Northern Europe & Baltics where you will be able to get lots of good input on the various places you will be visiting.

Keith

Much less hassle going with the ship-sponsored tours or one of the recommended tour groups. The tour guides speak English very well and the excursions will keep you busy busy busy. Get plenty of rest when you can on this cruise. I caught a cold in the middle of mine last year as did several others. You will be jet lagged from the start, so just be prepared when planning your excursions. The later in the day you can do it the more sleep you will get! But having said that I will just say that I had a wonderful time, took 2600 photos and am working on my 3rd scrapbook of a projected 6 for that trip. Definitely worth the exhaustion AND the cold!

Enjoy!

Theresa

Archived