Why Disney for the price?

DrD

Hello, I've been on 7 cruises, and now that we've got little ones I'm looking a Disney. I've heard great things, BUT, when I did some pricing today I almost fell out of my chair! For example, a 7 day on Disney came out almost double a 7 day on another line, same type of room, same itinerary, same week, everything.

So what does one get for such a hefty premium? I don't mind spending the dough, but the prices seem a little unrealistic to me (and no I'm not looking at brochure prices, my comp was through the same agency and was discounted from broch).

Thanks.

I can't think of a single reason:) . Disney is more than outrageous. I saw they were coming to California, this year, so I thought "How wonderful, I can take my neice and nephews on a cruise" (they are 3,5,and7, and love Disneyland).

Then I saw that for the PER PERSON price, all 4 of us can go on Carnival, Princess or Royal Caribean and have money left to spend on t-shirts. I mean, come on 3rd and 4th person over a thousand dollars? Thats first person in a suite on all the others.

We will pay a few hundred more for DCL and that is it. I love leaving from PC and I love having characters on board, but I don't love that stuff any more than about $300!

All kidding aside, we don't have kids, so we have no other incentive other than loving Disney. We love the ship, we love the larger staterooms and as I mentioned, we love not having to drive to FLL or Miami. But other than that, we won't pay a lot more for DCL.;)

we love the larger staterooms

Please explain how the staterooms are larger? You are paying significantly more money for the stateroom - what is it larger than? The same "category" stateroom on other cruiselines?

DCL, the media, and everyone else is brainwashed of this for some reason.

If I pay the same price on Royal Caribbean and get an Owners Suite, with concierge service and 506 square feet plus 65 square feet of balcony for the same price as a Navigators Verandah on DCL at 268 square feet, what is the DCL stateroom larger than? The same category stateroom on another cruiseline that costs half as much?

Let's compare apples to apples.

Howard

Please explain how the staterooms are larger? You are paying significantly more money for the stateroom - what is it larger than? The same "category" stateroom on other cruiselines?

If I pay the same price on Royal Caribbean and get an Owners Suite, with concierge service and 506 square feet plus 65 square feet of balcony for the same price as a Navigators Verandah on DCL at 268 square feet, what is the DCL stateroom larger than? The same category stateroom on another cruiseline that costs half as much?

Howard

I guess that was my point. I could squeeze myself and 3 kids into a "large" stateroom on Disney, or for way less money, could get an even larger suite w/balcony on any other line. And just to make sure you realize: a standard outside on Disney is 214sf, on Carnival is 220sf, for a third the price. Princess and RCI are about 180sf, but again, a third the price - especially when you add up the 3rd and 4th rate, which for Disney is over a 1000 dollars. On the others it is 299-399. So, for a family it is an even worse deal....and I remember when Disney was a family oriented company. LOL

Hello, I've been on 7 cruises, and now that we've got little ones I'm looking a Disney. I've heard great things, BUT, when I did some pricing today I almost fell out of my chair! For example, a 7 day on Disney came out almost double a 7 day on another line, same type of room, same itinerary, same week, everything.

So what does one get for such a hefty premium? I don't mind spending the dough, but the prices seem a little unrealistic to me (and no I'm not looking at brochure prices, my comp was through the same agency and was discounted from broch).

Thanks.

How far out are you looking? I booked my 08 4 night Wonder/3 night WDW land and sea package 14months out (and did get a good deal through a TA, $600 less than DCL's online listed price!), and I've booked an '09 7 day Magic. The 09 7 day was a good deal as well. Not bargain basement cheap, but good. Now, I won't pay for a verandah on DCL. That's just crazy money, for the same sq ft as an oceanview? I actually booked secret porthole rooms for both cruises, and am paying less than $3300 for 4 of us on the 7 day :) If you want to travel on DCL for less, you have to travel off peak, and I think lower cat rooms are the only way to go. I'd love to travel with them for a holiday, but I just can't stomach paying that premium fare.

If you're looking for an 08 cruise, be aware that the Mexican Riviera cruises are sky hgh price wise, because apparently enough people are paying that price. For us, it was cheaper to fly to FL and have a better itinerary and have Castaway Cay! Otherwise, shop several travel agencies. Some buy rooms in blocks and can give you their "first day" price they paid, rather than the going rate. Look for ones that specialize in Disney Cruise Line or Disney travel, they're more likely to have blocks. If you can be flexible with your category or dates, there are still *relative* deals to be had.

Good luck!

Why does Disney charge so much? Because they can. They have 1 ship to cover 7 days carrib and Europe in the summer with the other ship doing 3/4 day turnarounds all year. Very limited supply on smaller ships with a high demand for a quality product. Let's see when their new ships hit the market if their prices will adjust lower. I doubt it, because Disney is Disney but it will remain to be seen.

How far out are you looking? I booked my 08 4 night Wonder/3 night WDW land and sea package 14months out (and did get a good deal through a TA, $600 less than DCL's online listed price!), and I've booked an '09 7 day Magic. The 09 7 day was a good deal as well. Not bargain basement cheap, but good. Now, I won't pay for a verandah on DCL. That's just crazy money, for the same sq ft as an oceanview? I actually booked secret porthole rooms for both cruises, and am paying less than $3300 for 4 of us on the 7 day :) If you want to travel on DCL for less, you have to travel off peak, and I think lower cat rooms are the only way to go. I'd love to travel with them for a holiday, but I just can't stomach paying that premium fare.

If you're looking for an 08 cruise, be aware that the Mexican Riviera cruises are sky hgh price wise, because apparently enough people are paying that price. For us, it was cheaper to fly to FL and have a better itinerary and have Castaway Cay! Otherwise, shop several travel agencies. Some buy rooms in blocks and can give you their "first day" price they paid, rather than the going rate. Look for ones that specialize in Disney Cruise Line or Disney travel, they're more likely to have blocks. If you can be flexible with your category or dates, there are still *relative* deals to be had.

Good luck!

I would shop, but I am a travel agency - and MY prices are outrageous. Again, maybe you think a 7 day cruise for 4 with a porthole is worth 3300 dollars, but I could get a bigger stateroom with a balcony for under 2000 from anyone else.

Thanks for the feedback.

I was looking at April or May 2008, maybe I should book farther in advance? And/or during (gasp) hurricane season?

Or maybe stick to my old favs.

Unless you have cruised Disney I don't think you can offer an opinion to the OP's question. Disney is a product of it's own..the ships are beautiful, the employees are fantastic, activities and shows better than any I've seen. Can they ask a higher price..they sure can. Their ships fill well in advance, huge concentration of repeat cruisers..Disney knows how to do it..both with their parks and their cruises. Most rooms have 1 and a half bathrooms..great idea..even for those with no children. I loved my Disney cruises and can't wait until I can cruise them again...and I don't even have children:) .

As a TA, when I leave a cruise, or land vacation, I look to see if I sent a client on that vacation, would they walk away feeling as though they got what they paid for...I will say I really believe you walk away from a Disney cruise feeling you got more for your money.

Thanks for the feedback.

I was looking at April or May 2008, maybe I should book farther in advance? And/or during (gasp) hurricane season?

Or maybe stick to my old favs.

Take your little ones on Disney Cruise Line! It is a once-in-a-lifetime experience (for most folks). You cannot compare it (one woman's opinion) to other cruise lines as it is it's own unique cruise experience.

Why is it more? Economics 101 / Supply & Demand. Disney has only two ships and millions of people who want to sail on them. It's that simple.

Why is it worth more (or is it)? This one is highly subjective, but I can share my opinion and my experience. First a disclaimer that I used to work for Disney Cruise Line. I've sailed both ships and all four itineraries. I know the experience well and would just love to go again. I'm also a travel agent and sell a lot of Disney Cruise line. Why and how? I know the product and am convinced of its value, both personally and professionally.

1) Generally Disney staterooms are larger and better configured. The exception is cat 11 & 12 - nothing special there. The oceanview are better arranged than other lines as Disney had the foresight to put the seating area by the window. Hello? This is not rocket science, but everyone else puts the window over the bed. Of course, in everyone else's staterooms, there's no space to actually sit and relax in an oceanview anyway, but Disney offers that little luxury. Disney's balcony rooms are similar to others, though generally a little larger. Disney's split bath configuration is fabulous and should be the industry standard. What a great way to offer the functionality of two baths in one stateroom, of particular benefit to families sharing a room.

2) Disney's entertainment is high-quality, all Disney, but appeals to everyone from age 2 to 102. They have much to offer with more full-featured, Broadway-style productions than most cruise lines.

3) Disney's children's programming is wonderful! The counselors are the best and the design of the kids' areas can't be beat.

4) Disney's rotational dining is unique, allow guests on the three night cruise to enjoy a different dining room with themed menues each evening of the cruise. On the longer sailings, guests repeat dining rooms, but with varied menues and the same servers.

5) Disney offers wonderful adult-only areas including the adult pool, adult beach on Castaway Cay, adult night-club area and adult-only activities. The adults are not forgotten at all.

6) Disney's Castaway Cay (not available for west coast cruises...so sorry!) is the best private island in the industry. (Some prefer HAL's Half Moon Cay, a close 2nd IMHO). Everything from the convenience of docking to activies, food availability and the tram is just wonderful...I want to live on Castaway Cay.

7) Disney characters on board the ship are some of the best. In a theme park, your children will share the characters with 50,000 other guests. But on board a Disney ship, there are only 2,000+ other guests are we find the characters to be much more accessible. They are included in many activities with the children's programming, too, creating memories you and your children will always have.

Sorry about the book. I just wanted to share my thoughts on why you might consider breaking open that piggy bank and booking this wonderful, unique vacation experience to share with your little ones.

To save some money, you might consider going during a slower season. Fall rates are usually the lowest or if you can go in January, I often see some excellent values then. Do book far in advance if at all possible (you will NOT get main dining otherwise).

We will pay a few hundred more for DCL and that is it. I love leaving from PC and I love having characters on board, but I don't love that stuff any more than about $300!

All kidding aside, we don't have kids, so we have no other incentive other than loving Disney. We love the ship, we love the larger staterooms and as I mentioned, we love not having to drive to FLL or Miami. But other than that, we won't pay a lot more for DCL.;)

OK, above is what I wrote. I guess you figure that when I book a cruise I don't do any homework prior to booking?:confused: Well I do. The cruise I am taking is going to cost $2332 including taxes and fees for 2 adults in a Cat 5 stateroom (also including a $300 credit from Sam's Club). I booked this cruise several months ago so if you look it up now, it will now cost $3785. If you don't believe me, do a search of my posts and I am pretty sure I posted on this board what we paid. So, that is $2332 for a cabin with 268 square feet with a balcony.

At the time I booked our cruise I also looked at Mariner because we have never sailed RCCL and we like to experience other cruise lines (?brainwashed?) especially since we have tried Celebrity and really liked it.

RCCL at that time, would have cost about the same as DCL, maybe $300 less. But that stateroom was SMALLER than DCL. It is a 244 sq ft including balcony. That cabin is about $2000 now, about the same price it was when I started booking this cruise (for 9/08). And the owners suite is about $4800. Seems to me that maybe you ought to think a little more before you make such assumptions.

So, Howard, how about them apples!:D

Howard

Howard

I don't think it's possible to compare "apples to apples" when you are looking at very different cruise experiences. It is highly unlikely that you would find (for the same week) an Owner's Suite on Royal Caribbean at the same fare as a Navigator's (cat 7) Verandah on Disney. In that case, I'd go with the suite!

But just as an example, I looked at November sailings to compare. I tried to use Nov. 15 & 16, but the Glory must be in drydock, so I had to use Nov. 22nd for that ship. Yet I think this is a reasonable comparison of fare / stateroom size:

Balcony fare PP total Sq Ft Per Sq Ft

Disney Magic $1,553 $1,618 268 $6.04

RCI Mariner $869 $967 216 $4.48

CCL Glory $919 $1,011 220 $4.60

As expected, Disney runs a little higher when looking at the "per sq ft" calculation. But you just can't factor in the value of that Disney cruise experience.

I'm picky about who I leave my daughter with. And her having a good experience is priceless to me. So is my own peace of mind, knowing she's in friendly, competent hands.

I've taken discount cruise lines before and wished I could leave the ship after two days. Why bother? I can waste $1200 on a lousy vacation or invest $1800 on a good one. It's all individual, though.

My husband and I along with our son (11) and nephew (12) sailed on the Big Red Boat for three days after spending four days at Disney World. This was a few years back but the park still offers the Land/Sea package.

Just this past weekend (1/3 – 1/7/08), my husband and I sailed out of Galveston on the Carnival Ecstasy and this is the reason I am posting about the Disney cruise years later.

During the cruise we often referred back to the Disney cruise because of the quality of food, the service, the beautiful boat, the atmosphere - it was a great experience and spoiled us from enjoying mediocre cruises.

The food was excellent! Each night we dined in a different restaurant on the boat (there are three) and our waiter followed us. The dining experience was like an excursion because of the ‘show’ from the wait staff and the decor. I definitely do not want to spoil it for anyone so I will leave it at that.

The adult only areas were a great escape from all the bustle of kids. Speaking of the kids – there were many activities and you, parent, can designate if you want to allow your child/ren to come and go from the activity center and the crew assigns a beeper to the parent to keep in touch with their child/ren.

The staff was always smiling and eager to help make the experience memorable.

We never saw who cleaned our cabin but it was ALWAYS stocked and cleaned! I mention stocked because they give these adorable packages of lotion, shampoo, etc. in large packets decorated with Disney characters.

The room on Carnival was a bit larger than the Disney cabin but I believe that’s only because we booked a cabin low and in the middle whereas on Carnival we were on the 7th deck. I prefer lower cabins because I tend to get seasick. Although this did not happen on the Disney (85 ton) boat it did occur on the Ecstasy (70 tons).

The private island, Castaway Cay, was beautiful and only passengers on your boat are on the island. The quality of the food extended to the island and so did the cost of the food – included in your cruise price.

I honestly cannot say enough about DCL and we are looking forward to cruising with them again. After your first cruise you are a member of the Castaway Cay club.

We are however going to try Voyager of the Sea first.

My husband and I along with our son (11) and nephew (12) sailed on the Big Red Boat for three days after spending four days at Disney World. This was a few years back but the park still offers the Land/Sea package.

Just this past weekend (1/3 – 1/7/08), my husband and I sailed out of Galveston on the Carnival Ecstasy and this is the reason I am posting about the Disney cruise years later.

During the cruise we often referred back to the Disney cruise because of the quality of food, the service, the beautiful boat, the atmosphere - it was a great experience and spoiled us from enjoying mediocre cruises.

The food was excellent! Each night we dined in a different restaurant on the boat (there are three) and our waiter followed us. The dining experience was like an excursion because of the ‘show’ from the wait staff and the decor. I definitely do not want to spoil it for anyone so I will leave it at that.

The adult only areas were a great escape from all the bustle of kids. Speaking of the kids – there were many activities and you, parent, can designate if you want to allow your child/ren to come and go from the activity center and the crew assigns a beeper to the parent to keep in touch with their child/ren.

The staff was always smiling and eager to help make the experience memorable.

We never saw who cleaned our cabin but it was ALWAYS stocked and cleaned! I mention stocked because they give these adorable packages of lotion, shampoo, etc. in large packets decorated with Disney characters.

The room on Carnival was a bit larger than the Disney cabin but I believe that’s only because we booked a cabin low and in the middle whereas on Carnival we were on the 7th deck. I prefer lower cabins because I tend to get seasick. Although this did not happen on the Disney (85 ton) boat it did occur on the Ecstasy (70 tons).

The private island, Castaway Cay, was beautiful and only passengers on your boat are on the island. The quality of the food extended to the island and so did the cost of the food – included in your cruise price.

I honestly cannot say enough about DCL and we are looking forward to cruising with them again. After your first cruise you are a member of the Castaway Cay club.

We are however going to try Voyager of the Sea first.

The big red boat is not Disney...Your review is definately a Disney review but the name is wrong....no comparison between the two...just wanted to mention this so others are not confused....

Just for comparison, our DCL 7-day beginning this Saturday is $249 per person per day. Our 7-day similar port cruise on Holland America in February 2003 was $190 per person per day. Factoring in inflation, it doesn't seem our price is all that out of line. I'm sure it depends on when you go as well as the itinerary. Our Baltic itinerary a few years ago was sky-high.

We're going this time for our grandkids. Disney provides an experience unline anyone else, whether in a theme park or at sea.

The reason why the cabin was bigger is because the minimum sq / ft for Carnival's staterooms is 185 - whereas most other cruiselines you have to UPGRADE to get a cabin if that size.

FYI Voyagers cabins start at 160 sq / ft. You have to select a Superior Oceanview to get a cabin larger then what you will find on Carnival.

Thanks. sounds like it's just a great product with a premium price.

I'm still undecided, my previous 7 cruises on Princess, RCL, and HAL were all great! I checked out the kid's program on RCCL and it looked really good, surely not as good as Disney, but good. I know my son would love the part where the kid pirates take over the dining room!

But it does sound like Disney is a cut above. Well we'll see, you might find me back here in a few months!

So, Howard, how about them apples!:D

I am telling you, our Owners Suite on RCCL was the same price we paid for the Navigators Verandah. You have a travel agent here also telling you that on other cruiselines you get more for the same price.

We enjoyed DCL, no complaints about that at all. And I'm not taking shots at Disney, as we are Vacation Club members and shareholders. Just that there are lots of other products out there, and when you do take the higher categories on other cruiselines, the overall package does compete favorably with DCL. For the experience we got, the RCCL cruise was still the best of all. We'll see what NCL does for us this summer - Penthouse Suite - again, same price as what the Navigators Verandah would cost.

As long as you get your money's worth in your own view, that is all that matters.

Howard

I'm still undecided, my previous 7 cruises on Princess, RCL, and HAL were all great! I checked out the kid's program on RCCL and it looked really good, surely not as good as Disney, but good. I know my son would love the part where the kid pirates take over the dining room!

But it does sound like Disney is a cut above. Well we'll see, you might find me back here in a few months!

Disney's kids program was wonderful, and obviously so. The RCL program was very good and our daughter spent much of her time there. Carnival on the other hand was simply awful. Our daughter went the first day, met a couple of new friends, signed themselves out, and the entire week may have gone back for one or two activities. With Carnival, there is no kids "area" as with DCL and RCL, they hang out during the day in an empty nightclub. The counselor to kid ratio was very poor. Counselors were nowhere near as good as Disney nor RCL - again, just awful.

Howard

I cannot speak about RCCL as we have not cruised on the line yet but we are excited about Voyager docking in Galveston.

Given that Disney only docks in Florida or California - it's near impossible for us to only cruise on that line.

We will not be cruising on Carnival again and I posted such on the board here. I was a bit amazed at the emotions that my post conjured and even more amazed that my brutal honesty regarding my trip has been referred to as exaggerated and incredible.

Maybe I expected too much from Carnival. Regardless - I can't wait to take our first cruise on RCCL and Disney again.

Here is the post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=687675

Archived