Code Red on Noordam -

DaveAndEllen

Thanks all for your kind words. It has been a pleasure to be able to post and give the good news together with the bad. I wish you all a wonderful cruise. I know it will be PERFECT!

Sea is a bit rough today, as we head to NYC. A few green faces around, including a slight tinge on my own. But, pack we must. The last day is a bit less than happy, but so far today the food and farewell talk were both great! I anticipate more of the same.

The Flu Season and the Norwalk Season are nearly identical. Both are highly contagious viruses that thrive in similar conditions and are spread in very similar ways.

My ship was in port with Noordam a few days ago. We had 5 large ships in port with us. Every one except mine was Code Red. The thousands of Passengers and Crew from those sick ships were all using the same taxis, tour buses, telephones, visiting the same shops, bars, and restaurants.

I just got confirmation from my TA about the situation on the Noordam. Holland America just sent her a letter describing everything we have already known. We are somewhat baffled by the timing of this communication and are wondering what the explanation is for its late arrival.

Well, at least even with our delayed departure, the itinerary is still intact. Can't wait to begin the vacation and I know it will be difficult sleeping tonight!:D Looking forward to meeting everyone at the M&M. :)

[quote name='BruceMuzz']The Flu Season and the Norwalk Season are nearly identical. Both are highly contagious viruses that thrive in similar conditions and are spread in very similar ways.

My ship was in port with Noordam a few days ago. We had 5 large ships in port with us. Every one except mine was Code Red. The thousands of Passengers and Crew from those sick ships were all using the same taxis, tour buses, telephones, visiting the same shops, bars, and restaurants.[/quote]

That's a little unsettling!

:p Here's my theory...sounds goofy, I know, but I'm basing it on something I read about the flu. We know that in winter we get the flu. True! How come? The idea is that the virus floats in the air. So???

In the summer, the air is moist when it contacts the flu virus, causing the virus droplets to get heavy with moisture, fall to the ground and not be airbourne. In the winter, or cold weather, the droplets float freely and are more contageous. Yeh? So what?!?

Here's the brilliant theory...my own...ahem. Ships today are very air conditioned and cool. The result is that the virus thrives, is airbourne, goes through all the air ducts, and we get sick. Perhaps, in years gone by, ships were not kept so cold, and that's why the virus was not considered a problem.

If you like this theory, talk it up. If you don't like it....ahem..., remember, a little learning can be a dangerous thing.:eek:

[quote name='Mijuraad']:p Here's my theory...sounds goofy, I know, but I'm basing it on something I read about the flu. We know that in winter we get the flu. True! How come? The idea is that the virus floats in the air. So???

In the summer, the air is moist when it contacts the flu virus, causing the virus droplets to get heavy with moisture, fall to the ground and not be airbourne. In the winter, or cold weather, the droplets float freely and are more contageous. Yeh? So what?!?

Here's the brilliant theory...my own...ahem. Ships today are very air conditioned and cool. The result is that the virus thrives, is airbourne, goes through all the air ducts, and we get sick. Perhaps, in years gone by, ships were not kept so cold, and that's why the virus was not considered a problem.

If you like this theory, talk it up. If you don't like it....ahem..., remember, a little learning can be a dangerous thing.:eek:[/quote]

The only theory I'm subscribing to for our upcoming curise is to bring Lysol or Clorox wipes to wipe down the surfaces in our stateroom, not touching my hands to my mouth, nose, or eyes, washing our hands as often as humanly possible...and using hand sanitizer to boot.

Beyond that, hoping for the best.:rolleyes:

[quote name='cruz4evr']I just got confirmation from my TA about the situation on the Noordam. Holland America just sent her a letter describing everything we have already known. We are somewhat baffled by the timing of this communication and are wondering what the explanation is for its late arrival.

Well, at least even with our delayed departure, the itinerary is still intact. Can't wait to begin the vacation and I know it will be difficult sleeping tonight!:D Looking forward to meeting everyone at the M&M. :)[/quote]

To the best of my knowledge, the arrival is not late. They are delaying embarkation in order to thoroughly clean and disinfect the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise. I know we did!

[quote name='jrzebird']To the best of my knowledge, the arrival is not late. They are delaying embarkation in order to thoroughly clean and disinfect the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise. I know we did!
[/quote]

I'm so glad that you had a great cruise, jrzebird...and thanks for all your input!

[B]Welcome Back, Jrzebird.

We all appreciate your 'live from aboard' reports and your wonderfully upbeat attitude. Good for you having the best time despite the Code Red. I have to say it bothered me a bit more than it did you and I admire you for it.

[/B]

[quote name='jrzebird']To the best of my knowledge, the arrival is not late. They are delaying embarkation in order to thoroughly clean and disinfect the ship.

Have a wonderful cruise. I know we did![/quote]

Glad you had an enjoyable cruise, jrzebird and thanks for the good wishes! :) I know I won't be able to sleep tonight.........didn't I just say that? :D :D

[quote name='cruz4evr']I just got confirmation from my TA about the situation on the Noordam. Holland America just sent her a letter describing everything we have already known. We are somewhat baffled by the timing of this communication and are wondering what the explanation is for its late arrival.

Well, at least even with our delayed departure, the itinerary is still intact. Can't wait to begin the vacation and I know it will be difficult sleeping tonight!:D Looking forward to meeting everyone at the M&M. :)[/quote]

jrzebird.......I was implying that I am baffled as to why the letter to my TA was so late in arriving. :)

[quote name='Wineguys']Sooooooo, you spoke with [B][U]patient zero[/U][/B]....très intéressant! I heard from someone else in a DVS on your deck who is down with the NV but didn't get it until yesterday. She spent a lot of time Saturday and Sunday in the Neptune Lounge. Well, I guess that is one of the risks of going to sea.

I may have contracted it once on the Constellation, but it was probably just food poisoning. It only lasted 18 hours and I was fine by morning. Nobody else around me got it and I should have never eaten anything called "seafood surprise" on the Lido Buffet. :p

Patrick[/quote]

We met with the Captian and the Hotel Manager to discuss another issue and were told that they had a fairly good idea who Patient Zero was and that "he" had been ill for the first 2 days without reporting it. That was one of the reasons that, even with small numbers, the Captian decided to implement the precautions.

Ahoy!

FYI (as per CDC) :

[B]After infection, is there immunity to norovirus?[/B]
The mechanisms of immunity to norovirus are unclear. It appears that immunity may be strain-specific and last only a few months. Therefore, given the genetic variability of noroviruses, individuals are likely to be repeatedly infected throughout their lifetimes. This may explain the high attack rates in all ages reported in outbreaks. Recent evidence also suggests that susceptibility to infection may be genetically determined, with people of O blood group being at greatest risk for severe infection.

SOURCE: Centers for Disease Control

Bon Voyage, Good Health & Wash Those Hands!
Bob:)

Lol Carol and Sheila,

Like you, I'll be cleaning and Cloroxing as I cruise and schmooz on the Noordam next month, but I wonder how effective my efforts not to touch anything will be after a couple of before dinner Martinis?

Another person has suggested coating one's stomach with Pepto Bismol for about 5 days before a cruise, and continuing with the tablets during the cruise.

I've had the Norovirus on a previous cruise, and, while I hated it, it hasn't stopped me from loving to cruise.

Barbara

Just curious, if someone does get noro, are they confined to their cabin along with their traveling companion who might not be sick? Can they go on the veranda? Are all meals delivered by room service? That is, meals for those who can eat. How does the room service person stay healthy?

How long does the quarantine last and who determines when the people are well?

He was actually middle aged, but part of a group on board that has been generally unpleasant. Demanding and rude. I'd rather not go farther than that.

The Captain seemed to indicate that this was more of a precaution to stop it before it spread. I, too, think it is being handled very well. As for the media, I highly doubt this would make any sort of news, as it really isn't such a big deal, and the Capt. is trying to keep it that way.

I also spoke with several people who were sick, but I think a good portion of it might have been motion sickness, as it was mostly gastro related. I'm sure the medical staff has everything under control. In the meantime, wash, wash, wash!

By the way, have made some very nice friends on board from our Roll Call on this board. What a blessing this is!

I agree, it was handled well. And it was very nice meeting you and Kenny!

Just curious, if someone does get noro, are they confined to their cabin along with their traveling companion who might not be sick? Can they go on the veranda? Are all meals delivered by room service? That is, meals for those who can eat. How does the room service person stay healthy?

How long does the quarantine last and who determines when the people are well?

Yes everyone in the cabin is quarantined. One of the musicians who was not ill, was quarantined as her roommate was ill. She became ill shortly after.

Not sure about the veranda. Meals would be delivered via room service for those well enough to eat. I saw people being delivered room service with a mask and gloves being worn by the crew member.

The quarantine lasts until 48 hours after the last case was reported.

Laura

Archived