Have you experienced chilly weather in the Caribbean?

Palm_trees

I try to cruise a few times a year out of my home port of Miami. One of the things I enjoy most about the cruising experience is a break from the cold weather. I always assumed that once we got south of Key West it would always be warm, but not anymore.

It was freezing cold as we left Miami. Not Minnesota cold but maybe 40 degrees with a cold drizzle and alot of wind. I told my wife that it would be warm by the time we woke up the next morning. I was wrong! I came out on the deck the next morning with a wind breaker and I froze. It must of been maybe 50 degrees. At least it was warmer than Miami. As the boat moved south to Cozumel Mexico, it did get a little warmer but maybe 60. Arriving in Cozumel it was maybe 60 but still raining and windy. I never thought Mexico could get so cold. Finally when we got to Belize it got into the 70s.

Have you experienced such cold weather on a cruise leaving Florida?

Our ship encountered a cold front on the way back from Cozumel. The seas were very rough--30-foot waves. The crew closed the Promenade Deck and the top decks. They also emptied the pools. We could still feel the cold air on the Lido Deck when going to the buffet.

It was freezing cold in Miami when our ship returned, setting a record for Christmas Eve. It was 1989. In checking the archive of weather for Miami, it looks like that year still has the record low for Christmas Eve at 31 degrees.

A website where I found record lows for Cancun said the coldest it's ever gotten there is 45 degrees F. The average high is 81 degrees in January.

No cold weather in the Caribbean on cruises leaving from Florida specifically, however on our recent cruise out of Charleston SC (12/29/07-1/5/08) it was indeed cold. Not in Grand Cayman...it was hot & gorgeous there...but our "Cozumel day" (we got bumped) it was cloudy, rainy with high winds & seas. It had to have been in the 50's is my guess. And then in Key West the following day, they hit a new record low of 45 degrees :eek:. The previous record of 46 had stood for more than 100 years we were told!

I exoerienced on both my winter cruises. In Dec. 03 it did not make 70 after we left Grand cayman our first port and second day of the cruise, (which was 90 ) but it stormed that night and the rest of the cruise (5 days of the cruise) was cool and the ship was downright freezing as it had no heat I was told because the ship was used only for caribbean cruises. I was wishing I had brought a couple of sweathers or sweatshirts.

Then in Feb. 06, the same thing, a winter storm, our first day out at sea and that whole cruise never made 70 degrees in the daytime.

Last year in close to the end of February heading back to Fort Lauderdale around Dominican Republic it was cold rainy and nasty. Then for the following 2 days in F. Lauderdale in was also cold till the day we had to catch the flight back to BC Canada. What a disapointment.

In a word, yes. I sailed out of Miami last Feb. to Key West and then on to Cozumel. Miami was pleasant but by the time we reached Key West it was cold, cloudy and windy. I wore about everything I brought with me to stay warm to walk around at Key West. We then sailed on to Cozumel where it was almost warm enough to sit on beach without a jacket/sweatshirt etc. but the water was too cool to do much. We did rent jet skis in Cozumel which was fun but it was about the only water sport you could do simply because you were not "in" the water but only had it splashing on you (albeit a cold water!). Th return trip from Cozumel to Miami was cold, rainy and very "wavy".

Luck of the draw at that time of the year... I still had a great time believe it or not! The ship (Celebrity) was fabulous and i just went with the flow. I would be wary in the future however about sailing at that time of year.

Archived