What do carry your wallet (Cash, ID and Credit Cards) when you leave the boat?

Palm_trees

We use something called a bracelet mate. When worn correctly it looks like a bracelet. We never have to worry about someone snatching our purse off our shoulder. In fact I even use it for short trips to the mall, grocery store and church. The beads are on top of your wrist facing out so it looks like a bracelet and the wallet part goes on the inside or "against your body." It holds our sea-pass card, driver's license, a credit card or two and some folding money (tips for cab drivers, tour guides, etc.)

braceletmate.jpg

I just take my room key, credit card, and whatever cash we may need.

We take the same, as well as a medical insurance cards, driver's license and copy of our passports. Originals stay in the safe. Heaven forbid, ya never know if you need them;) Of course, water and a camera.

Before the cruise, I will figure out how much cash I need at each port of call. If I've booked a private tour for which I am expected to pay in cash, that's a set cost. If I expect to do souvenir shopping, I'll estimate. If I expect to shop for something pricey, I'll take a credit card. I leave my passport locked in the ship's safe. Usually only a picture ID and ship's card is required. I have a small travel wallet with an adjustable strap that I use on and off the ship. It allows me to carry my ship card, camera and lip balm and still be hands-free.

I put the cash amount I've estimated for each port of call into bank envelopes and mark those envelopes with the name of each port. I put the envelopes in the safe so I can grab the appropriate one each day, prior to disembarking. I've found this works well for me. In the excitement of arriving at port, it's so easy to forget something. (I also make "TO BRING" lists specific to each port, to avoid port-specific items such as waterproof camera, snorkeling gear, bottled water, etc.)

If I'm doing a hiking tour, I'll have a backpack. I won't need a credit card and will need minimal cash. If I'm going to a beach, I'll need enough cash for the local beer or tropical cocktails and perhaps money to rent something like a jet ski. Again, because I'm carrying a towel, sunscreen, etc. I would have a backpack. If I'm just shopping, I can get by with just the travel wallet.

ENJOY!

We take the same, as well as a medical insurance cards, driver's license and copy of our passports. Originals stay in the safe. Heaven forbid, ya never know if you need them;) Of course, water and a camera.

Where would your medical insurance card work while you're on a cruise? Alaska would be an answer, I guess, as long as you're on shore in the US. Or the New England Fall Foliage cruises...as long as you're on shore in the US. TIA.

The post mentioning credit cards in separate names reminded me of something my DH and I do with our "joint" CCs. It would work for any 2 people with shared accounts.

Bring cards from 2 (or more) accounts on the cruise. When going ashore, each of you carries only one CC, but different ones. That way if one person's wallet/purse/etc. is stolen or lost, you still have a useful credit card after reporting the loss.

Example -- hubby takes the American Express card, I take the VISA (or vice versa). If we have report one of them lost, we still have the other to use right away (not after we go back and get it from the safe).

This of course only works if you're together for most of a port stop. But if not, it's still better not to carry more than one CC. Having to cancel all your cards could ruin a very nice vacation!

Where would your medical insurance card work while you're on a cruise? Alaska would be an answer, I guess, as long as you're on shore in the US. Or the New England Fall Foliage cruises...as long as you're on shore in the US. TIA.

You have answered some of the places and U.S. Virgin Islands and a couple more, I'm sure. What if you needed to be evac to somewhere stateside, closest to an Island in the Carib., it would come in quite handy, wouldn't it? Hopefully, no one will ever have that problem.

Safe sails!

You have answered some of the places and U.S. Virgin Islands and a couple more, I'm sure. What if you needed to be evac to somewhere stateside, closest to an Island in the Carib., it would come in quite handy, wouldn't it? Hopefully, no one will ever have that problem.

Safe sails!

that is exactly why i carry my insurance card. if i end up in the hospital or medical clinic for anything i want them too know i have coverage. i still have travel insurance but who knows what that might not cover. i do travel too alaska and new/england/canada 90% of the time so the card goes with me.

One thing I do not take is a purse. I bring a cloth tote bag for purchases, sunglasses, hand wipes, etc. I carry a business card sized folder/wallet. On one side I put a credit card, on the other my DL and ship card. Behind the credit card I put a couple of ones and/or fives. Under the ID I put a couple of twenties. This goes in a front pocket of my pants OR in a cargo pocket of my pants. Never a back pocket. When I don't have a pocket (b'suit) I tuck it into my suit or in a small inside pocket of my tote bag.

One thing I do not leave the ship without is the port agent's name and number. You'll find this on the front page of the daily ship's paper for that port. EVERYONE in your party should have this information on them. This is the go-to person if you get left behind. He will make your travel arrangements, make sure you have a place to stay, etc. You'll need to reimburse the ship when you get back... but the agent will pay for it upfront.

To the person who carries their health insurance card... most health insurances do not cover you once you leave the US. Check to make sure yours does or it makes no sense to carry it. You should be carrying a copy of your travel insurance policy that shows medical coverage if you want to prove you have health insurance.

I carry my health insurance card with me also. Why? Because een though it is not good in foreign ports it is good in all US hospitals. This way if something happens while traveling I have the information with me. If I get sick on the plane or ship and have to be med flighted to a US port or city then it is with me. My wife and I are on different plans with different companies so we each carry a card for the other. This way if I am not consciuos she has the necessary information to provide the doctors and medical care people. She has had to use it one time for me whan we were out of state and all said it saved a lot of time. And yes carry prescription and allergy information for each other so that is available also. Can be written on a small card and kept in a wallet if needed.

I always don't know what I should bring other than my Cruise ID card, when I leave the boat to go onto an island. Should I bring my passport, or credit cards, or much cash? I always have nightmares of being left behind on the island and not being able to get home due to lack of credit or cash. But I also am concerned about having my wallet taken while I am touring.

Exactly what do you bring along when you go into shore?

I bought a double sided money clip , and keep it in my front pocket always , I keep my drivers license , my passport card , 1 credit card and whatever cash I decide to take with me that day (I also take a small hole punch in my shaving kit and lanyards for us to wear around our necks for the room cards). Here is a link for the dbl sided money clip if you care to look -I got mine for like six bucks

http://cgi.ebay.com/Double-sided-WALLET-ID-Slim-Money-Clip-Card-Holder-TV-/280659706286?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item41589f41ae

what do you do with your stuff if you do a snorkeling trip or dolphin excursion while in the water? thanks in advance

The only comparison I can make with this is we did the swim with the stingray thing on Grand Cayman , we just left our stuff wrapped in a shirt on our tender boat ,it was anchored right where we were and it never left our sight, but it was pretty safe there -I would imagine that would be much of the same on a scuba/snorkel trip. The tour guides are pretty straight up, they almost have to be to keep a good rep I would think.

We generally take cash, DL, 1 CC and cruise card. If we are in the tropics my hubby will put $100.00 in small bills with his DL, CC and cruise card in a zip lock bag for waterproofing and carry it in his front or cargo shorts pocket. I will get roughly $50.00 with all my stuff and carry that on me just incase anything happens we are set.

Archived