I have Grand Cayman ?'s I can't seem to get answered.

Hi,

I posted this on the port of call threads, but no answers... The RCCL board has always worked better for me but I wanted to follow protocol first.:) Anyone care to respond - thanks in advance:

Can't wait to go here! But....there are 7 ships in port/tender for the day we will be there. We arent' doing any excursions through the ship or independently, but we were thinking of just renting a bike somewhere and cruising around the island. We would like to see the towns, I guess, the Hell post office for sure, no real shopping. Do you think there is somewhere to do that that isn't an excursion type tour thing? Also, do you think it would be a problem with so many people around? Just don't know much about the place and want to have a relaxing (but active ) day.

We were in the Grand Cayman in 2005. with so many ships in port and such big ships, the palce will be busy. The chance of finding something like you want to do is slim. You can hire a taxi to take you somewhere. If I remember right HELL is quite away out there. We went on the excursion with the Turtle Farm and we stopped in HELL. It's basically just some rock formations, maybe volcanic and a gift shop. I personally think you would be better off to book a shore excursion. I don't know that your cruise line has, we have cruised on Holland America. In any case, the island should be in better shape than it was in 2005. We were there after the bad hurricane of the fall of 2004. Have a great time!

We took a bus to the beach--about 15 min. trip. All the public beaches have restrooms, rentals, (beach and watersport), food, drink, etc... You do have to keep your eye on the traffic--there is only 1 road, and it can get JAMMED with traffic. Allow about 45 min-1 hour to return to port!!!! The beach is VERY close to the road, so being aware of the traffic is easy! I think the fare was less than $5.00 pp.

GC was a good time when we were there this past May...we went to Hell as part of an excursion...it was neat but not really worth a special trip. I would think finding a bike rental would be quite simple...and when we were there we shared the port with 5 other ships...had no problem. After our excursions walking the streets was very easy. Its a big port and you will more than likely have a blast

We were just there on Christmas Eve. We rented a car from Avis and drove to Rum Point and had a fabulous day. The car rental is very easy and inexpensive. You could drive yourself any where you want to go, but I highly recommend the beach at Rum Point.

I will second what max'smom said. We have been there two times and each time we get a car at Avis, I think it is only like 60 or 70 dollars for the day. They will give you a map when you went the car.

I also highly recommend Rum Point. It is on the other side of the island, so as you are driving there you get to see alot of the island. I also think that Rum Point is alot less crowded than the other beaches.

We have spend a week in GC for the past two years and will return again in April. Going to Hell is a waste of time. A taxi to Rum Point is a great idea. Really nice beach, food, hammocks, gift shop, volleyball, great snorkeling. We spend a day there every visit. We snorkeled out past the docks and saw HUGS lobsters. There are also some very nice beaches along 7 mile beach. A cab can get you there. The public beach is nice, Cemetary Beach is very quiet and has great snorkeling. Plenty of restaurants along there as well. You will feel safe anywhere in GC. Enjoy.

We have spend a week in GC for the past two years and will return again in April. Going to Hell is a waste of time. A taxi to Rum Point is a great idea. Really nice beach, food, hammocks, gift shop, volleyball, great snorkeling. We spend a day there every visit. We snorkeled out past the docks and saw HUGS lobsters. There are also some very nice beaches along 7 mile beach. A cab can get you there. The public beach is nice, Cemetary Beach is very quiet and has great snorkeling. Plenty of restaurants along there as well. You will feel safe anywhere in GC. Enjoy.

Thanks! Does Rum Point rent snorkel equipment? I can't swim but I love to snorkel, I would just need a vest, flippers and the mask. Haven't bought any yet.... Sounds nice.

Thanks everyone for the answers and information! I was getting nervous there. And the bike rental websites were great, thank you!

My boyfriend and I just love to ride our bikes leisurely, and havent' been able to do it because we moved back to NJ and its COLD!:p So that would be ideal for us. Is the bike rental, by any chance, nearby Rum Point? I was thinking of getting some bikes, cruising around and then returning and heading to Rum Point to jump in the ocean and cool off for a while....

Archived