Okay you SMARTIES, what is the most you ever SAVED on a cruise???

:rolleyes: Okay you SMARTIES, what is the most you ever SAVED on a cruise??? I'm looking at a cruise that is 59% off and leaves in 4 months. Has anyone ever beaten 59% by booking last minute? Was it a cabin with an obstructed view? A tiny cabin next to the kitchen (ha ha).

The more I can save on the cruise, the more I can spend on my mother.

:rolleyes: Okay you SMARTIES, what is the most you ever SAVED on a cruise??? I'm looking at a cruise that is 59% off and leaves in 4 months. Has anyone ever beaten 59% by booking last minute? Was it a cabin with an obstructed view? A tiny cabin next to the kitchen (ha ha).

The more I can save on the cruise, the more I can spend on my mother.

59% savings is great, but off of what ??? 4 months is hardly last minute. Keep an eye on your current rates as they may drop lower the closer you get to sailing date and many times can be adjusted for a refund or ship board credit. Happy Cruising !

The most we ever got off was was abt 80%...we booked a last minute deal on NCL (booked 3 weeks before cruise), got a military discount also. It turned out costing us only $55 pp a night for a top deck balcony cabin on an 11 night cruise

How about 100%? is that good?

Seriously, 59% off means nothing without knowing the base. What is your per diem and for what category?

The posted who got a balcony for $55/night - thats a good deal.

I saw a Transatlantic on NCL for $35/night - thats a good deal. Sadly, I can't go on this one....

Oh, and, by the way, an obstructed view means you have a window, with a lifeboat outside. Check closely, some of these are excellent cabins, with the view nearly complete. Others are seriously staring at the side of a boat 2 feet from your window. In either case, I would prefer them to an inside, because they do let in plenty of light, even with the obstruction.

Princess contacted us a few days before our cruise and said that if we would trade our mini suite for a window cabin they would give us our cruise cost in onboard credit - $3,700. If we did not use the credit, it would be refunded to us after the trip. Took about 15 seconds to decide what to do.

I picked up a Bermuda cruise in Sept. a week before for $199 + 120 in taxes. :)

I got a 14 day New Zealand in Nov. for $699 :)

Got a $499 Hawaii in Oct. with cruise air for another $500.

Went on 6 cruises last year- with rates really down. Hope it continues.

Yep deals are out there. :)

;) Thanks! So I guess I should be judging by price per day instead of the % off which, in this case, would be $80/day per person. I don't know the cabin location, so that is a good point, thank you. I want to be in the middle and not too high as to keep the motion to a minimum.

I feel like I'm buying a used car, seriously. It's taking a long time to decide which cruise line is perfect for me (like a car), and which options I want - countries and ports of calls (like power steering or air-conditioning) and then, the hardest part and sort of the most blind decision is to choose from whom to buy it - a TA, the cruise line itself, or a discount website (like deciding which car dealership is giving me the best deal).

I wish I had your experience to know when, how, and from whom to buy my cruise!!

Is it worth the extra $$ to buy in advance knowing which cabin you'll be in, or is it more fun to get on a last minute cruise and get over 50% off and take whatever cabin is left?

I've only been on one cruise with Princess. Is there an advantage to sticking with the same cruise line?

You're the best! Thanks!:rolleyes:

Our next cruise in April we booked on board the ship and the fare was $10,100 . After we got home I shopped around and used an on line agent to transfer the booking .

Their price was $8900.00 . We just paid the final payment last Tuesday and will book next years cruise again while we are on board.... It does pay to shop...

;) Thanks! So I guess I should be judging by price per day instead of the % off which, in this case, would be $80/day per person. I don't know the cabin location, so that is a good point, thank you. I want to be in the middle and not too high as to keep the motion to a minimum.

I feel like I'm buying a used car, seriously. It's taking a long time to decide which cruise line is perfect for me (like a car), and which options I want - countries and ports of calls (like power steering or air-conditioning) and then, the hardest part and sort of the most blind decision is to choose from whom to buy it - a TA, the cruise line itself, or a discount website (like deciding which car dealership is giving me the best deal).

I wish I had your experience to know when, how, and from whom to buy my cruise!!

Is it worth the extra $$ to buy in advance knowing which cabin you'll be in, or is it more fun to get on a last minute cruise and get over 50% off and take whatever cabin is left?

I've only been on one cruise with Princess. Is there an advantage to sticking with the same cruise line?

You're the best! Thanks!:rolleyes:

As you can tell from my avatar, I like Princess. And they do have the best program for repeat customers. However, variety is the spice of life, so I would not feel locked in. Find an itenerary that sounds interesting, or a particular ship you think would be fun.

As far as when to book, I tend to go last minute, but that's just me. Some people like to plan way in advance. don't worry too much about the price. If you book early and it comes down, you can usually get an adjustment. I book late, because I am not picky, and the best deals are late, but they require you to be flexible.

I don't think I would book a cruise from a discount website. Their prices are no better, really.

So, I would say find a good TA, or deal direct with the line. Prices will be comparable, no matter what anyone else tells you. There are advantages either way. If you deal direct with the line, their people know THEIR product better, sometimes, and sometimes problems are easier to resolve if you call direct.

TA's on the other hand can be a valuable resource when comparing different lines/ships/iteneraries. And a good one can resolve a problem FOR you, sometimes faster than you can do it yourself. And, as for that 'buying a used car' feeling, again, a good TA can walk you through it, and help you figure out what works best FOR YOU.

I would beg to differ with your beg to differing.

There is a big difference in advertising.

I check the big travel websites often, and the various lines websites, and I know what my prices are. There is sometimes a big difference in the advertised price, but when you get down to where and when you want to go, and which cabin you want - the differences tend to disappear. Also, if you see a price on a website, the lines' rez agents will usually give it to you, and so will a TA. The level of competition in the industry almost ensures you will get the same lowest price from any of the above, if you know how to ask.

Oct 2006 DW and I did a 30 day Veendam Cruise fm LA thru Panama Canal and up the Amazon River ending finally in Tampa FL. The total cost was $2800 each, which is outrageously cheap for a 30 day on HAL with canal and Amazon......even for an inside cabin.:)

There are a lot of costs that go into the price of a vacation, but I'll let you in on what the two of us were able to do for our 14-Day Trans Atlantic cruise, last month, aboard Celebrity Millennium.

Cruise price $784 each

One-Way Airfare from Miami to Barcelona (plus transfers to and from both cruiseports) $300 each

Taxes/Fees for cruise, airfare and transfers $121.88 each

Received $175 onboard credit

Round-Trip Airfare from Portland, OR to Fort Lauderdale $226 each

Two nights hotel in Miami (pre-cruise) $108 (including tax)

One night hotel in Fort Lauderdale (post cruise) $110 (including tax)

Shuttle from Fort Lauderdale to Miami $60 (including tip)

Total costs: $2,966.76

There were additional costs for onboard tips, excursions, food in Miami and Fort Lauderdale, as well as food while in port, and for an all-day pass on the Water Bus in Fort Lauderdale.

How much did we save? Who knows for sure, but we went on a Panama Canal cruise last March, which my Mom paid for, and the cruise alone for each of us was $3,200.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

There are a lot of costs that go into the price of a vacation, but I'll let you in on what the two of us were able to do for our 14-Day Trans Atlantic cruise, last month, aboard Celebrity Millennium.

Cruise price $784 each

One-Way Airfare from Miami to Barcelona (plus transfers to and from both cruiseports) $300 each

Taxes/Fees for cruise, airfare and transfers $121.88 each

Received $175 onboard credit

Round-Trip Airfare from Portland, OR to Fort Lauderdale $226 each

Two nights hotel in Miami (pre-cruise) $108 (including tax)

One night hotel in Fort Lauderdale (post cruise) $110 (including tax)

Shuttle from Fort Lauderdale to Miami $60 (including tip)

Total costs: $2,966.76

There were additional costs for onboard tips, excursions, food in Miami and Fort Lauderdale, as well as food while in port, and for an all-day pass on the Water Bus in Fort Lauderdale.

How much did we save? Who knows for sure, but we went on a Panama Canal cruise last March, which my Mom paid for, and the cruise alone for each of us was $3,200.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Bob,

How did you get that??? Was that a last minute deal? Did you get it though a TA or the cruise line itself? That is exactly what I want! Well, except I want to go to the balitcs...

Bob,

How did you get that??? Was that a last minute deal? Did you get it though a TA or the cruise line itself? That is exactly what I want! Well, except I want to go to the balitcs...

In general, the key to getting a good deal is to be "FLEXIBLE." Don't get locked into one Cruiseline, or one travel agent (Online or Local), or one airline, or one hotel, or...You get what I mean.

I booked it (Cruise/flight to Barcelona/transfers/Onboard credit, which included $50 from Celebrity because of previous cruise) through an Online TA, during a 2-Day Celebrity sale, in the middle of July. I got our Hotels through Hotwire and our round-trip airfare directly through Southwest.

I checked with various travel agents and couldn't match the price and Onboard credit from the first Online agent I tried. Be aware: It pays to shop around. Celebrity may not let travel agents discount, but that doesn't mean you can't do better from one TA to another, especially when it comes to Onboard credits, prepaid gratuities, dinners at specialty restaurants, or sail-away gifts, such as wine & liquor.

I've heard of people getting good deals with their local travel agents, but you normally have to build up a relationship first and when I've checked with a local TA they've never offered me as good a deal, or even close, as I've been able to acquire Online.

Regarding Online TAs. Do your homework. Make sure you're dealing with a reputable company. There are plenty of them out there, and depending on the circumstances, each one of them might be the one for you for this particular cruise. I don't use the same Online TA for each cruise, though I will give a good one the opportunity to keep my business by matching an offer from another.

Good Luck!

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. One thing I failed to mention. Look for a repositioning cruise that goes where you're interested in going. That can save you a bundle.

I saved the entire cruise fare for our family of 4 one year at spring break when enchantment of the seas was taken for unscheduled maintenance on the eve of the cruise. We were put onboard Celebrity Century for the week instead and our ENTIRE fare for 4 was refunded as well. That was the best savings ever! (we even had a free night at the airport when we missed the return connection--thank you Royal Caribbean!) This was about 10 yrs ago...now we just pay full retail!:)

• 1 month later...

We are going on an Alaska Inside Passage with Balcony for $76/day/person (that was trip, tax and fuel charge)

Orbitz had a low price deal and I got the Travel agency that books through USAir to match (I got the FF miles). Booked the cheapest balcony rate and then was upgrade 3 levels from Emerald to Baja deck

Best value cruise we've taken in 21 cruises was our NCL Star Alaskan cruise in Sept., 06. Booked the cruise a year ahead while on the NCL Star. Got a choice aft balcony right smack dab on top of the wake and also ONBC for booking while on a cruise.

Transferred to our regular TA, as suggested by the NCL staff member who booked our cruise.

Used free air certificates (garnered from taking airline bumps from previous cruises) to fly roundtrip to Seattle entirely free.

Used DH's hotel reward points to book a hotel pre-cruise and post-cruise in Seattle.

Used $1,500 in NCL Mastercard certificates towards the cost of the cruise.

Total cost of our Alaskan cruise was about $1,300 for the two of us including air, cruise and hotels.

To add to the savings, stores in Alaskan ports were offering clearance sales of 50 - 75 % off merchandise as we were on one of the last weeks of Alaskan cruise season and I was able to fill our suitcases with many, many Christmas gifts for our family and friends at a fraction of the regular cost.

Even better, Mother Nature cooperated with us for our value cruise by providing sunshine and warm days for our 7 day cruise. No rain and beautiful days. Have a photo of DH sitting on our aft balcony wearing kahki shorts, no shoes and no shirt, developing a slight sunburn as we cruised away from Glacier Bay.

Only sight in the sky outside our balcony on our cruise back from the glaciers to Seattle was the Big Dipper shining bright.

Cruising just isn't going to get much better than that.

Dianne

Archived