RV rental

yuckylucky

Yes, I have. Very easy to get around and convenient with ready fridge and bathroom.

I did find it more isolating than I prefer. I'm not one to wander around campgrounds. :) For me, I definately like the contact I get using B&B's.

I suggest you get a RV of at least 25 ft, with a permanent lower bed. The fold out table/couch aren't the most comforatable and not all that much fun setting up and tearing down every day. :)

Do not expect much if any cost savings. I ate out every day 1 meal, since I don't go on vacation to prepare a lot of meals. I also had to have my fresh Alaska halibut/salmon every day. :)

Hi Yuckylucky--

You may be interested in looking over the responses (inlcuding other links within the responses) that I posted. For some reason, when you put in RV into a search, they don't come up. I started this one in mid-October '07, so the info is very recent.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=644509

Yes, I have. Very easy to get around and convenient with ready fridge and bathroom.

I did find it more isolating than I prefer. I'm not one to wander around campgrounds. :) For me, I definately like the contact I get using B&B's.

I suggest you get a RV of at least 25 ft, with a permanent lower bed. The fold out table/couch aren't the most comforatable and not all that much fun setting up and tearing down every day. :)

Do not expect much if any cost savings. I ate out every day 1 meal, since I don't go on vacation to prepare a lot of meals. I also had to have my fresh Alaska halibut/salmon every day. :)

We rented an RV before our cruise. It was the best!

I second everything BQ said (especially her advice to get an RV with a permanent lower bed, which we did after reading this advice in CC before our trip), except that we did find we did not find it isolating.

One of our best memories is being camped in a Fish & Game area beside the river in Talkeetna, sitting outside sharing coffee and beer with 2 guys who lived in Anchorage. It was past midnight, and still light enough to see to read. Magical!

In Denali, at Riley Creek campground, we were camped next to the tents of a group of motor cycle enthusiasts. There were about 20 of them, and we wondered what we had struck, but they proved to be excellent neighbours. They were all "locals" and we talked for ages, gathering lots of useful information about Alaska in the process.

I would RV in Alaska again in a flash, if given the opportunity.

We enjoyed our rental very much. Our group had two rentals (one for our family of four, one for friend's, family of three).

We do enjoy campgrounds, and personally don't find them to be isolating. Your enjoyment will really depend on your preference for travel. I like nothing better than to sit around a campfire talking, playing games, and roasting marshmallows for s'mores! The fresh scent of the outdoors melded with campfires and open grill cooking gives an aroma that just can't be duplicated anywhere else.:)

Ranger talks are often offered at National Park campgrounds. The Denali campground we stayed in has an ampitheater, though we didn't attend a presentation while there.

We meet friendly folks from all over, including locals, while camping - not just in Alaska, but everywhere we go.

For four of us, I think we probably would have been been about even monetarily with RVing or lodging... I didn't break out a pot, but we had lot's of sandwiches, cereal, fruit, etc. along with our cook-outs.

FYI, our friend's enjoyed it as well... enough that they're now planning to go with more members of their own family, both RVing and cruising, next year.:)

I definitely would NOT do it any other way! We found some great spots to camp with some fabulous views, and we had some great experiences with the locals. I wrote a long report on tripadvisor that you may or may not be interested in reading. Possibly you can get some ideas from it.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k1497369-l9084878-Our_Great_Alaska_3_week_Holiday_L_O_N_G-Alaska.html

Hi Yuckylucky--

You may be interested in looking over the responses (inlcuding other links within the responses) that I posted. For some reason' date=' when you put in RV into a search, they don't come up. I started this one in mid-October '07, so the info is very recent.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=644509[/quote']

Cruizin' Mama: you're 100% correct! LOL. I searched the forum before posting because I didn't want to duplicate with this one. Thanks for the link!

And thank you all! The response rate is 100% do it! We will look into it for sure. We've always wanted to. We'll be going in July so the "night" will be cool around the fire since it really won't be that dark.

I figured it would cost about the same as lodging. We would be doing it more for the experience; as we've never rented an RV before and figured Alaska is as good a place (arguably better) as any to give it try! We will be three adults and a five year-old girl. I think she would enjoy the idea of hanging out playing and watching her DVDs while hubby drives. :D

If this question isn't allowed I apologize: Does anyone have any recommendations for companies to check out? I found one that looks very nice but haven't called to price it out. They say everything is included in the price (cleaning, wastewater dumping, pots/pans, dishes, linens, etc). It's called Great Alaskan Holidays...anyone use them or heard of them?

Budget Queen: Thank you for your infinite wisdom about Alaska. You might recognize my name from questions about what to do with Denali and our five-year old daughter :rolleyes: Now I'm exploring this avenue. :p

Cjnky: My husband loves checking TripAdvisor for information so thank you for the direct link!

I think it might be kind of cool to visit Seward and enjoy a Kenai Fjord tour, camp and enjoy that area and then head north towards Talkeetna and Denali and enjoy the scenery up there as well! As an avid cook, and a family who doesn't get to sit around campfires, I find the idea of cooking outside a couple of times fun (I can imagine the photos that can be snapped). I also like the idea of going out to eat as well.

How do you get to an area that has restaurants if you have an RV? Do you drive to town and park it or are there shuttle buses or taxis that can be taken to town? I'm sorry if these are "duh" questions but I really don't have a clue!

By the way, my husband was so excited when I read your replies. He really wants to pursue this. All of your posts are greatly appreciated!

We used Great Alaskan Holidays. New RV, very nice.

If you do go the RV route, seriously consider the insurance. It is added cost, but it is added peace of mind.

Don't forget the MilePost... a great guide to Alaskan highways.:)

We did not have a problem parking the RV in parking lots. You just do NOT want to go through a drive-thru!!!

Great answer sym! Drive-thrus are a very bad thing! LOL!!

One of the places we ate was recommended by BQ - Thom's Showcase Lounge - and was easy to walk to from the Seward city campground. The next best halibut we had was from a hamburger-type shop next to the campground in Valdez. Otherwise, as sym said, there are usually places to park an rv nearby.

We used Great Alaskan Holidays. New RV, very nice.

If you do go the RV route, seriously consider the insurance. It is added cost, but it is added peace of mind.

Don't forget the MilePost... a great guide to Alaskan highways.:)

We did not have a problem parking the RV in parking lots. You just do NOT want to go through a drive-thru!!!

Great! I'm going to call tomorrow to see what is available. I looked at the 25' and the 28'. I'll look at the price difference and degree of difficulty in driving them.

Drive-thrus would be very bad...LOL! Good advice! :D

Lisa,

I notice that you are going on Spirit, when? I'm going southbound on Spirit June 25th. I can't give you advice about the RV, because this will also be our first time. I'm the brave one who is using ABC--not having seen any other posts with cruise critic members discussing that company. There are no pull-out sides, but we are going with a 30 or 31 ft. that has a stationery bed in the back, an overhead, a sofa-type bed and one that is made where the table is. We are also 4 people, but our 2 kids are full size, with our youngest being 15. Other Alaskans have said that many Alaskans travel around Alaska with them and there are lots of parking lots to park in. The best I could gather is that we will be getting the same type of deal that Great Alaskan offers, except we don't have pull-out sides or designer cook-ware.:rolleyes:

AKA Joanie

We went with Great Alaskan Holidays - and they were definitely the most popular choice from all the RV's we saw on the roads! ABC was a distant 2nd. You didn't say when you were going, so hopefully they will still have availability! (BTW, we had a smaller RV for the 2 of us, and got along fine with the overhead bed!)

(Joanie, I hadn't seen your post when I posted! Actually the one thing I didn't like about GAH was that designer cookware! It was kind of a pain - good thing our tour in Skagway had introduced us to AK grass that can be used for scouring! LOL!!)

Lisa' date='

I notice that you are going on Spirit, when? I'm going southbound on Spirit June 25th. I can't give you advice about the RV, because this will also be our first time. I'm the brave one who is using ABC--not having seen any other posts with cruise critic members discussing that company. There are no pull-out sides, but we are going with a 30 or 31 ft. that has a stationery bed in the back, an overhead, a sofa-type bed and one that is made where the table is. We are also 4 people, but our 2 kids are full size, with our youngest being 15. Other Alaskans have said that many Alaskans travel around Alaska with them and there are lots of parking lots to park in. The best I could gather is that we will be getting the same type of deal that Great Alaskan offers, except we don't have pull-out sides or designer cook-ware.:rolleyes:

AKA Joanie[/quote']

Joanie,

We're going three weeks after you: 7/16-7/23. I put my husband on-assignment today: make calls about RVing it once we're off the ship! LOL...I'll let you know what we find out. I'll also have him check out what you're using as well.

Thanks!

I used Great Alaskan Holiday. I too, strongly suggest you factor in the added insurance into your cost. It's just about a given to get some kind of ding somewhere, and they do check the RV's over with a fine tooth comb.

Purchase plenty of toilet paper- you use far more than you think. :) :) :)

Remember, your last grocery stop heading north is Wasilla, be certain to stock up. Seward does have a Safeway, but is more costly and limited than Anchorage, so I would suggest stocking in Anchorage, no matter where you go.

Also top off your gas in Anchorage, Wasilla. Nothing cheap again until Fairbanks. Seward is also usually more costly than Anchorage. Consider getting a Safeway Club card, if still the same, it had a small per gallon discount on gas. But also needed to take advantage of grocery specials.

You also can save some on gas, if you don't use cruise control, since there are a lot of hills going north. Seems that the transmission shifts way too many times. You can also not haul around full tanks of water-fresh and gray, and get your water at campgrounds instead- IF staying in them. Research all this in advance.

It is simple and easy to get around in a RV in Alaska.

I just wanted you to know that we are using ABC because we saved over $500 for this rental--they had an early bird special. That money will go into an excursion. I would check the rates out--you never know. I will also get extra insurance and whatever else was recommended--great advice from both ABC employees themselves and Cruise Critic members.

I just wanted you to know that we are using ABC because we saved over $500 for this rental--they had an early bird special. That money will go into an excursion. I would check the rates out--you never know. I will also get extra insurance and whatever else was recommended--great advice from both ABC employees themselves and Cruise Critic members.

Thanks! I just submitted a request for a quote. I also called Great Alaskan Holidays and they only book for 7 days or more in advance. We are only renting for five days and you cannot reserve with them until 30 days before the date of pick-up...can't take the chance of nothing being available so it looks like we'll be going with ABC most likely.

How far in advance did you reserve that you got an early bird discount? I'll be sure to ask about it since it's a little more than six months away that we'd be making our reservation...not sure if that counts for much.

We're also thinking of the 25' motorhome. I agree with the post from Budget Queen about having the open bed and not worrying about making the change from dinette area to bed area...good advice! If the price wasn't a big deal, I'd go with the 30' one but I imagine it uses much more gas. I'm sure we'd be fine in the 25' one...again, with the thought in mind of whatever we save in $$$ going towards some cool excursions.

I am loving this idea more than renting a car, finding different lodges to stay at, etc. I am excited about our cruise, but even more excited about vacationing and seeing Alaska this way.

Cruizin' Mama: I've yet to click on your link about places to park the RV and what to see and do...LOL! But I am going to because I would love to have a heads-up on where we'll call it a night wherever we go.

My husband also just got the 2007 Milepost from the library so we're going to rummage through that as well.

Thanks again! And please, if anyone feels like contributing more, I'm all ears! :D

We're doing 8 nights, so that wasn't an issue for us. There is also at least a 3rd company. Have you looked on the Alaska state site's links? www.travelalaska.com There are several listed there. I think that the early bird may only have been in effect if you did a whole week--I can't remember! I think Clippership is another company, but I think it was also more expensive--at least for what I was looking at.

We're doing 8 nights' date=' so that wasn't an issue for us. There is also at least a 3rd company. Have you looked on the Alaska state site's links? www.travelalaska.com There are several listed there. I think that the early bird may only have been in effect if you did a whole week--I can't remember! I think Clippership is another company, but I think it was also more expensive--at least for what I was looking at.

A lot to know...tell me about it! LOL. I got our quote from ABC...about the same as Great Alaskan (which isn't available to us). I'm looking into transfers now since, like you, we'll arrive in Whittier (leaving from Anchorage, are you?) so I have to figure out how we go to pick it up. I'm asking ABC if they include/have transfers.

I've been on that site daily! But, as you said, a lot to know so I haven't finished looking at everything (juggling my home and full-time job simultaneously...and now preparing for my GB Packer party this Sunday). :D

I called several RV rental agencies prior to settling on GAH... the main difference I found was GAH (and maybe one other) had essentials (linens,cookware,housekeeping,etc) included in the base price. By the time I added everything in from other agencies, the amount was more than GAH which I'd already read good reviews of here. If I'm not mistaken, ABC was my second choice. Also, some of the other companies charge for generator use hours. We found we hardly used the generator anyway.

A lot to know...tell me about it! LOL. I got our quote from ABC...about the same as Great Alaskan (which isn't available to us). I'm looking into transfers now since, like you, we'll arrive in Whittier (leaving from Anchorage, are you?) so I have to figure out how we go to pick it up. I'm asking ABC if they include/have transfers.

I've been on that site daily! But, as you said, a lot to know so I haven't finished looking at everything (juggling my home and full-time job simultaneously...and now preparing for my GB Packer party this Sunday). :D

No ABC isn't going to transfer you from Whittier. It's 1 1/4 hour away. There will be ship contracted buses and independent buses available- listings http://www.anchorage.net

Hi again Yuckylucky--

I know that we do have pots and pans and generator at no extra charge (ABC was surprised that I asked). Does ABC offer daily rentals with an advance reservation? It sounds like you want the advance reservation and that would be important. As far as transfers, I am still in the deciding process. There are many options, including transfers with one of the coupon books 2 for 1, Alaskan Leopard (comedy show and mini tour), as well as private shuttles which are a tad cheaper than the bus if you're going individual. ABC doesn't offer any transfers, but all the companies seem to offer reservations and referrals being made, including ABC. I don't know if it's a courtesy or kickback between referring companies, but it is there. I am looking at a Prince Wm. Sound boat tour for the small boat access to narrow passages and there are companies that offer that with a transfer, but it may be cheaper to do it separately. I haven't booked yet. Like you, I have a full time job (it's my lunch right now) and a family with needs. So, I am also in the planning stages. I have found a lot of info on these threads. Look in Alaska searches. I also found info from the roll call, because Whittier transfer is one of the things needed by everyone from the same departure/arrival port.

Msmoger and yuckyluck--

You're both from NJ--why GB? I don't really care, my Redskins are finished :( . It was tough trying to decide who to root for in the last game, but I hate Dallas worse than the Giants . . . There was quite a bit of slipping and sliding in the snow in that last GB/Seattle game. Fun to watch!

Archived