For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

We are doing the Aruba, Curacao, Dominica, ST. Thomas itinerary. DH and I have done the Barbados itin on Celebrity. We wanted to experience new islands with the kids - and AOS fit the bill!

I'll let mom and dad know about getting to SJU early so they have somewhere to sit. I don't think SJU has a Delta Crown room - not that it would do much good since DH won't be with them (we're staying an extra day at the Embassy Suites Isla Verde).

I've been doing LOTS of research and I'm still not sure what we are going to do!

In Aruba, I'm thinking that we'll do a TomCar tour I'm just concerned about me driving one of those though!

In Curcacao, I really want to swim with the dolphins, but I also want to see the island so I'm torn.

In Dominica, either river tubing or Wacky Roller Adventure Park are leading the pack, but also may do a tour with Levi at Bumpiing Tours or with Reyno at Reyno tours. Also since our youngest is studying North American Native Indians in school this fall, I would also like to take a tour of the Caribe settlement with him.

This will be mine and DH's 4th time to St. Thomas so I'm thinking of taking the ferry to St. John and doing something! So much to choose from and no one wants to make any decisions just yet!:eek:

Oh well, final payment hasn't been made yet so I still have time. I want to try and get as much paid for before we leave (chocolate covered strawberries and champagne, soda cards for the kids, maybe a wine package, excursions) so that all the money we bring will be for souvenirs and off ship meals. Of course some of that cash will also be for extra tips for the staff too (they will have earned it after dealing with my picky eaters)!!

One more question - we are booked for MTD - how hard is it to get a dining time at 7pm? I'm thinking that will probably be about the time we want to sit and eat. I know one of my first stops on the ship will be at MTD to make our "reservation" for the first night - although I may skip dinner and just stay up on deck to make sure I don't miss sailaway! I loved sailing out of San Juan on our last cruise - it was magical!

7pm is the most popular dining time!!!! :rolleyes:

7pm is the most popular dining time!!!! :rolleyes:

I'm always going for the most popular of something or the most expensive!! (Explains why I booked an OS!! ;))

So if we make reservations for 6:45 we should probably be ok? Or maybe 7:15? Not quite sure how all of that works as DH and I have always just done late seating.

I'm always going for the most popular of something or the most expensive!! (Explains why I booked an OS!! ;))

So if we make reservations for 6:45 we should probably be ok? Or maybe 7:15? Not quite sure how all of that works as DH and I have always just done late seating.

We booked 7 PM MTD 2 weeks ago and had no trouble getting in. Actually, there seemed to be quite a few empty tables surrounding us. In our experience the room seemed to be emptying out as we were dining. MTD worked really well for us!

We booked 7 PM MTD 2 weeks ago and had no trouble getting in. Actually, there seemed to be quite a few empty tables surrounding us. In our experience the room seemed to be emptying out as we were dining. MTD worked really well for us!

Maui - did you book your reservation right when you got on the ship? Did you book the same time for the whole week that first day or did you just book it as you left each night?

I know this will be a better option for us since our boys are with us, but there are sure a lot of decisions to be made doing this!!:)

Lots of decisions! This one was really important to us as we had our kids with also, 7 PM worked out perfectly.

Our TA booked the MTD, but we asked for 7 PM in the afternoon after we boarded the ship. We set it up for the first night, then each night as we left we would confirm that we had 7 PM, or let them know that we wouldn't be there. We did end up using the dining room only 3 times.

(3 dining room, 3 Portofino, 1 room service!). Five Portofino a try if you haven't already! It was fabulous!

Here's a shot of my favorite Portofino Dessert Sampler!

3763568819_2971caee24.jpg

I think this thread is long overdue.

Each week I see at least 2-3 posts regarding the Adventure of the Seas, people who have booked and are now afraid they made a mistake - and people who have yet to book, that may not ever book because of what they read on here.

As many of you know, I have cruised on the AOS 3 times and have had wonderful cruise vacations on all 3. I am sailing again next month on my 2nd B2B on the AOS and I am eagerly anticipating another fantastic cruise! :)

Here are a few commonly asked questions about the AOS:

Q: Does the AOS have a large amount of Puerto Ricans sailing on her for most cruises?

A: Yes, there are Puerto Rican's on cruises out of San Juan. It is their home port and I would be very surprised if they weren't.

Q: Are the announcements in Spanish as well as English?

A: Yes they are. Is it an issue? No.

Q: Are Puerto Ricans rude and rowdy?

A: No more rude and rowdy than other passengers I have seen on other ships and other itineraries. Puerto Ricans are a lively bunch :)

Q: Is the AOS a sick ship, or more prone to Noro than other ships?

A: No. The AOS has as much chance of a noro outbreak as any other ship in the RCI fleet.

Q: I have booked the AOS and after reading negative reviews, I want to cancel - what should I do?

A: You can cancel you cruise if you want, but you will be missing out on a fantastic cruise on a great ship sailing on a wonderful itinerary!

I do understand that some people have had negative experiences on the AOS - but the same can be said for any other ship. There will always be people cutting in line, pushing elevator buttons, chair hogging and the list goes on......unfortunately, some people like to leave their manners at home :(

My experiences have been terrific on the AOS and I would encourage anyone to sail on her and see for themselves what a great ship she is!!

Yes....I am an AOS cheerleader, and proud of it!!!

I have to agree 100 percent. we went on a b2b in May, and there was no issue with any of the concerns. I have seen worse behavior on cruises in other areas that I never saw here, like Europe.

Francis

Lots of decisions! This one was really important to us as we had our kids with also, 7 PM worked out perfectly.

Our TA booked the MTD, but we asked for 7 PM in the afternoon after we boarded the ship. We set it up for the first night, then each night as we left we would confirm that we had 7 PM, or let them know that we wouldn't be there. We did end up using the dining room only 3 times.

(3 dining room, 3 Portofino, 1 room service!). Five Portofino a try if you haven't already! It was fabulous!

Here's a shot of my favorite Portofino Dessert Sampler!

3763568819_2971caee24.jpg

Although we were not on AOS but on BOS, we had a standing reservation of 7 pm unless we told them otherwise. It worked out great for us. We also had the same waiter every night and he was the greatest. :)

The desert looks wonderful, and I think it looks like what we had in Portofino on BOS. :D

Gerry

We are planning on doing Portofino's one night. We can't decide if we want to go on Wed. night and avoid Caribbean night in the MDR or Thurs. night for Wine tasting. I'm leaning toward Thurs. only because I think it would be fun to be dressed to the nines on the last formal night and be sipping wine!! :D

That dessert looks absolutely sinful!!!

We are looking forward to MTD. We tried Anytime dining on Princess this past Feb, and really enjoyed it. We usually have late seating. This gave us such flexibility. Each night after dinner we would set up a time for the following night as by then we had an idea of what was happening the next day.

Anna:)

We are planning on doing Portofino's one night. We can't decide if we want to go on Wed. night and avoid Caribbean night in the MDR or Thurs. night for Wine tasting. I'm leaning toward Thurs. only because I think it would be fun to be dressed to the nines on the last formal night and be sipping wine!! :D

That dessert looks absolutely sinful!!!

We did the wine dinner too! It was wonderful. The dessert that night was a lovely Strawberry Crepe.

We did the wine dinner too! It was wonderful. The dessert that night was a lovely Strawberry Crepe.

Yum-O!! Strawberries are my second favorite fruit (raspberries are #1)! Of course cover those strawberries in chocolate and well....:o:D

Here's a map that will show you the distance between the Sheraton and the Pan Am Pier where the AOS docks. It's $10 cab ride.

sanjuan.gif

If you are going to post that map, please give reference to the person who created it on here. Cruise Critic Clubber.

I always do when I post it as I asked his permission to do so. ;)

In Curcacao, I really want to swim with the dolphins, but I also want to see the island so I'm torn.

olemissreb - Unlike many ports, Curacao's approach is one of the prettiest I have seen! :) The ship docks right there in town. Go ahead and take your dolphin excursion (you will be able to see some of the island on your way) and when you are finished, you should still have time to tour around. Just watch the time and make sure you are not stuck in town, when the bridge swings open. You could miss the ship! :D

olemissreb - Unlike many ports, Curacao's approach is one of the prettiest I have seen! :) The ship docks right there in town. Go ahead and take your dolphin excursion (you will be able to see some of the island on your way) and when you are finished, you should still have time to tour around. Just watch the time and make sure you are not stuck in town, when the bridge swings open. You could miss the ship! :D

Thanks for the insight! DH doesn't want to do the dolphins because it's so expensive. If we don't do it in Curacao, I guess we could always drive down to Orlando and do a dolphin swim! I'll have to price it out just for comparison and maybe I can change his mind!:rolleyes:

I'm seriously considering only doing 1/2 day excursions in each port simply because I'm afraid my kids would start complaining that they are: bored, hot, tired, hungry, legs hurt, knees hurt (take your pick). I figure I can always stay behind and shop a little while everyone else goes back to the ship.:) I'll be sure to make sure I'm on the right side of the bridge so I don't miss the ship!!

Is the wine dinner at Portofino offered on specific nights? I am not familiar with this. Friends that are travelling with us really enjoy wine so I thought this would be a nice treat.

Is the wine dinner at Portofino offered on specific nights? I am not familiar with this. Friends that are travelling with us really enjoy wine so I thought this would be a nice treat.

DreaminofMaui could probably answer this better than I, but I've read on these boards that the Wine Tasting dinner is offered only on Thursday night. It also costs more than the regular Portofino's fee ($35 instead of $25 comes to mind, but I'm not positive on that).

If you are going to post that map, please give reference to the person who created it on here. Cruise Critic Clubber.

I always do when I post it as I asked his permission to do so. ;)

Here's the website it comes from as well, I've posted that on this thread numerous times, but I guess this thread is so long now, that was over a year ago! :) http://www.langland.org/cruises/sanjuan.asp

DreaminofMaui could probably answer this better than I, but I've read on these boards that the Wine Tasting dinner is offered only on Thursday night. It also costs more than the regular Portofino's fee ($35 instead of $25 comes to mind, but I'm not positive on that).

Yep... Thursday. However, the cost was $54.95! Worth it though. We had 5 courses and 4 wines. They did refill the wineglass when it was empty though, I actually had to say I had enough! A lovely evening!

Kim

Thanks for the excellent information on AOS and SJ!!

We are sailing AOS on Sept 20th doing the Aruba itinerary. I will write a review after returning.

We have the following port plans:

Aruba - half day jeep excursion

Curacao - Scuba Diving with The Dive Bus

Dominica - Scuba diving with Nature Divers down by Scott's Head

St. Thomas - Magen's Bay in the morning and shopping in the afternoon.

Does any one know if they have the Mysterious Champagne card on AOS?

I was thinking this might be a nice way to start dinner each night.

Also the MTD is it book a certain time or show up when you want to eat, seems it runs differently on each ship.

Thanks Kar

Okay experts. Gotta a question. I do not remember seeing it personally but believe I read on this board that at the San Juan port they have a store AT THE PORT TERMINAL where you can buy soft drinks. Is there such a store?

We like to take a case of diet coke on board.

anyone know?

Okay experts. Gotta a question. I do not remember seeing it personally but believe I read on this board that at the San Juan port they have a store AT THE PORT TERMINAL where you can buy soft drinks. Is there such a store?

We like to take a case of diet coke on board.

anyone know?

There is a liquor store inside the terminal, but I don't remember if they sell soda. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Yes they do have a store. I believe my hubby and I bought some coke there to go with the Don Q Limon that we purchased for our X cruise! Don't remember if they had cases though or just 6 packs. Of course that was 4 1/2 years ago, so things may have changed.

Archived