For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

I had a GS booked for both weeks of my B2B, and as much as I wanted that GS - I saved almost $5k by switching to the JS (there are 3 of us).

I suspect the GS price may drop......it did last year and I booked it for $1699, which in my opinion is an excellent price for the GS :o If it went down that far again.....I may reconsider it :rolleyes:

Having said all that, I love the JS. Lots of space and the walk in closet is worth it's weight in gold :)

Toonjie - I was #1324 and I have officially switched to #7692 - I saved $2243.10...I cant believe the difference - I have never had a bad time on a ship so I expect that I may miss the concierge service but I sure can buy a bunch of drinks for 2 grand!!

You definitely made the right choice, the concierge is not going to give you $2K worth of anything! :D

7692 is a nice cabin, ( just make sure you know about the grey area between you and the superstructure), have you seen Bonnie Voyager's pics? http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2231647140036355651BWJjDR

Sadly, they are indeed penalizing you for daring to check a second bag. So $50 for two bags. Note if one bag is for you and one for your traveling companion, it is only 20 + 20, you only get penalized if there are 2 bags per person. Also note that these are the airline baggage charges, whether you do on board or at airport, you will be charged these. There is also a $20 per person fee for getting to do this onboard. So for two people with two bags each on American, would be 20+20+30=$70 for each person, so $140 total. But would still be $100 at the airport, so you are only paying $40 for the two of you to check in through the on board program.

While you do get off ship, find your bag and carry it 100 yards through customs and then check it in with the airline reps, it is a huge hassle savings to not have to lug bags to airport, waiting to check them etc. Just leave with airline reps at pier, go relax in San Juan if you have time, and then leisurely trip to airport and right into security line (because you are not just checking bags, you are checking in and getting boarding passes) So I am a big fan of this.

bobj

Thanks (again) bobj.

It does sound as if it would be worth it to do this.

Karen

Karen

Not sure if this has been covered or not but we're considering changing to a Promenade Stateroom but are concerned that we might be able to hear the goings on in the Promenade late at night. Can anyone who has stayed in one of these rooms please let us know what your experience has been? Are there windows that open onto the promenade so you can hear the goings on of the parades etc, if you want to?

Thanks...Ken

Thanks johnbob, very helpful. But, now another, well 2, questions .......If your flying, say, AA, the info states, bag1...$20, bag2...$30. So would that mean $50 total for 2 bags, or is it $20 for 1 bag and $30 for 2?

And, since you do have to get your bags at the pier after disembarking, is it still worth it to do the valet check in?

Thanks,

Karen

We used Luggage Valet in Puerto Rico this past Sunday and YES YES YES it is absolutely worth it.

After the cruise our (luggage valet) peoples bags were all in the corner of the warehouse closest to the exit. We were taken to the warehouse to collect our bags before they started letting everyone else off the ship so it was not as crazy, much more calm. After you present yourself along with your luggage to US Customs, you exit the line and the Luggage Valet people were right there to take them (you will see a big Luggage Valet sign with people waiting). From the time you collect your bags, roll them through customs and hand them off to the LV people, for us it was less than 5 minutes and all located within steps of each other.

Here is a copy of the form they hand out on board for luggage valet. (courtesy of another CC poster) Hope this helps, happy to try to answer any questions you may still have.

bobj

001.jpg

002.jpg

How up to date is this form? We are flying on United and I know that they charge for baggage, but the form says there is no charge. Has anyone used this service with United out of San Juan, PR recently? Were you happy with the service? I am concerned that the longer my luggage is out of my control, the greater the chance that my luggage will be misplaced, lost or stolen.

How up to date is this form? We are flying on United and I know that they charge for baggage, but the form says there is no charge. Has anyone used this service with United out of San Juan, PR recently? Were you happy with the service? I am concerned that the longer my luggage is out of my control, the greater the chance that my luggage will be misplaced, lost or stolen.

I do not know exactly how old the form is, it was posted fairly recently, I just coped from that post. You are correct, United does charge, and so the form is incorrect in that regard.

Regarding your concern with letting bags out of your sight, the only sure way is to use carry on bags. (and take them off the ship yourself). I do feel pretty comfortable with the bags getting from the luggage valet desk in the terminal to the airline, it is not like you are handing them to random people off the street. They are acting as agents of the airline. The trade off of freedom to roam OSJ before heading to the airport is way worth it to me, IMHO.

BTW, I have used them for United once, and American once. Both times no problem at all.

bobj

We used Luggage Valet in Puerto Rico this past Sunday and YES YES YES it is absolutely worth it.

After the cruise our (luggage valet) peoples bags were all in the corner of the warehouse closest to the exit. We were taken to the warehouse to collect our bags before they started letting everyone else off the ship so it was not as crazy, much more calm. After you present yourself along with your luggage to US Customs, you exit the line and the Luggage Valet people were right there to take them (you will see a big Luggage Valet sign with people waiting). From the time you collect your bags, roll them through customs and hand them off to the LV people, for us it was less than 5 minutes and all located within steps of each other.

Thank you, I'm convinced, I'll be using the luggage valet in Feb.

Sounds very convenient :)

Karen

Thanks for all the luggage valet information. I'll have to print this off for my in-laws and convince them that this is the way they should go. It will definitely free them up a lot so they don't have to worry about keeping up with their bags and standing in long lines - not with their bad backs! Now if I could just figure out a way to get them a guest pass to the Delta Crown Room, then their brief stay at the San Juan airport would be even more comfortable. My DH is a member of the Crown Room I should have him look into getting a guest pass for them.

Not sure if this has been covered or not but we're considering changing to a Promenade Stateroom but are concerned that we might be able to hear the goings on in the Promenade late at night. Can anyone who has stayed in one of these rooms please let us know what your experience has been? Are there windows that open onto the promenade so you can hear the goings on of the parades etc, if you want to?

Thanks...Ken

I only have second hand information. A couple was on an excursion with us and had a Promenade room. We asked how bad the noise was and they said they were not bothered at all by the noise.

Thanks for all the luggage valet information. I'll have to print this off for my in-laws and convince them that this is the way they should go. It will definitely free them up a lot so they don't have to worry about keeping up with their bags and standing in long lines - not with their bad backs! Now if I could just figure out a way to get them a guest pass to the Delta Crown Room, then their brief stay at the San Juan airport would be even more comfortable. My DH is a member of the Crown Room I should have him look into getting a guest pass for them.

I heard that the crown room has been closed since May 2009...can someone verify?

We just booked this ship for the November trans-Atlantic. Been on the Voyager 4 times, the Navigator once, but not the AOS. I'll be monitoring this thread for tips/advice. We got a great price break a couple of days ago, went down $300 each for a E2 balcony. Thanks in advance.

Tucker in Texas

The ship is pretty much the exact same physically as the Voyager and Navigator - but it is definitely the crew that sets this ship apart :)

I heard that the crown room has been closed since May 2009...can someone verify?

Well just darn! I just looked it up and there is no listing for a Crown Room. Delta does (or did) have reciprocal arrangements with Continental and Northwest - I'll have to look and see if either of those has a room.

Hurry up, DeDe is waiting for you. ;) Now, you will have to say hi to her from us. :)

Gerry and Elisabeth

G&E - I would be happy to say to hi to DeDe from you two :D

The excitement is definitely building! Looking very forward to the new itineraries - lots to see and do!

G&E - I would be happy to say to hi to DeDe from you two :D

The excitement is definitely building! Looking very forward to the new itineraries - lots to see and do!

Thanks Robyn. :D

We just booked a 12-day on Brilliance OTS doing the Mediterranean - Venice and Dubrovnik in May 2010. Maybe DeDe will move over to BOS. :) Of course... not because we'll be cruising on BOS. :rolleyes:

Gerry

Thanks Robyn. :D

We just booked a 12-day on Brilliance OTS doing the Mediterranean - Venice and Dubrovnik in May 2010. Maybe DeDe will move over to BOS. :) Of course... not because we'll be cruising on BOS. :rolleyes:

Gerry

Mediterranean! How fabulous :) One of these days I will stray from the Caribbean and wander across the pond......I have been to Europe on a land vacation, but not a cruise.....gotta convince the DH there is more to life than sun, surf and sand!!! LOL

Not sure what DeDe's plans are following this season....I'm sure I will find out when I see her in March!

Well just darn! I just looked it up and there is no listing for a Crown Room. Delta does (or did) have reciprocal arrangements with Continental and Northwest - I'll have to look and see if either of those has a room.

Delta no longer partners with Continental, and Northwest and Delta clubs are now one in the same (they're no longer Crown Rooms, rather they are now known as Delta SkyClubs)

I booked a few excursions this morning, but I am stuck on what to do in St. Croix.....

We would like to do a beach day, but the only one offered through RCI is a beach resort for $95pp.

For anyone who has been to St. Croix recently on the AOS - and if you went to the beach, where did you go and how did you get there?

I always worry about going somewhere not on an RCI excursion and possibly not getting back to the ship in time!! :eek:

Gerry,

First, Merry Christmas. Second, were you able to post the picture of the eagle on your balcony? I'd love to see that.

Mike, Merry Christmas to you also. :) Here is the bird which rested on our balcony for at least 30 minutes as we were leaving Dominica. I understand that the bird is a falcon.

Gerry

2colkio.jpg

Mike, Merry Christmas to you also. :) Here is the bird which rested on our balcony for at least 30 minutes as we were leaving Dominica. I understand that the bird is a falcon.

Gerry

2colkio.jpg

What a beautiful picture. You wonder where the tired bird came from?

All I got on my balcony was spiders and cigarette ashes from neighbors. :o

I hope you are having a wonder Holiday and have a great New Years. ;)

Gerry

2colkio.jpg

What a fabulous picture! He even posed for you :p:p

Archived