For all those who have booked or are going to book the AOS - read this!

ckrobyn

We went to Curacao Dominica St Thomas and Aruba. We went to the Sky Bar many of times, but our favorite bartender Adrian left the boat to head home for his 3 months off. I dont even know anyone else's names since we only went to Adrian. Sorry! Enjoy your trip!

Will do, thank you for your response:-)!

We went to Curacao Dominica St Thomas and Aruba. We went to the Sky Bar many of times, but our favorite bartender Adrian left the boat to head home for his 3 months off. I dont even know anyone else's names since we only went to Adrian. Sorry! Enjoy your trip!

Hi Cara,

Do you think you could post the Compasses for that itinerary?

Theresa

SINGLE DIGITS!!!!!!

If my husband doesn't wear a sports coat or tux on formal nights will he be ok? Just a shirt and tie?

Again, this really surprises me. The night is a formal night. Attire is Blck Tie or a SUIT, not a shirt and tie, mock turtle and sport coat, Athletic shirt and jeans. I have seen all of this in my crusing. If you do not wish to go in proper attire, please visit the speciality restauraunts, Windjammer, Cafe Promanade, Johnny Rockets or room service. Dress up and have a good time or please, RCCL, discontinue dress codes and we can all wear cutoffs to MDR to enjoy steak and lobster together drinking schiltz or PBR. This is part of what makes RCCL and Princess a knotch above some other lines. Enjoy, i haven't had a bad one yet.

Again, this really surprises me. The night is a formal night. Attire is Blck Tie or a SUIT, not a shirt and tie, mock turtle and sport coat, Athletic shirt and jeans. I have seen all of this in my crusing. If you do not wish to go in proper attire, please visit the speciality restauraunts, Windjammer, Cafe Promanade, Johnny Rockets or room service. Dress up and have a good time or please, RCCL, discontinue dress codes and we can all wear cutoffs to MDR to enjoy steak and lobster together drinking schiltz or PBR. This is part of what makes RCCL and Princess a knotch above some other lines. Enjoy, i haven't had a bad one yet.

The answer to the poster's question was that he will be fine and plenty of others will have chosen the same manner of dress.

I thought this thread was going to talk me out of AOS. Glad I stopped in to check it out and see it is getting such nice reviews. I'm looking at the Nov-Southern Caribbean. It may take me until then to get through all the posts here :D

I thought this thread was going to talk me out of AOS. Glad I stopped in to check it out and see it is getting such nice reviews. I'm looking at the Nov-Southern Caribbean. It may take me until then to get through all the posts here :D

Welcome and happy reading!

You will love the ship and itinerary - let us know if you have any questions :)

I always find it amusing when the clothes police show up in these discussions. Especially when they demand that people who are on vacation wear tuxes, suits, ball gowns, etc., or else go to a different venue to dine. Sorry, this is vacation and if someone at my table is petty enough to have a problem by my shirt and tie and the fact that I chose not to dine at Johnny Rockets, then they'll just have to go ahead and have a problem with it. The last couple of formal nights I attended ended up with my suit coat on the back of my chair all night...and guess what, I sat there in a shirt and tie and, shockingly, nobody was offended.

As for formal night, RCCL lists the "suggested" attire as formal. (Note the term "suggested"...they don't say "mandatory" or even "required".) If someone were to "suggest" to someone else on this board that they go fly a kite, would they feel compelled to do it, merely because it was "suggested"?

I always find it amusing when the clothes police show up in these discussions. Especially when they demand that people who are on vacation wear tuxes, suits, ball gowns, etc., or else go to a different venue to dine. Sorry, this is vacation and if someone at my table is petty enough to have a problem by my shirt and tie and the fact that I chose not to dine at Johnny Rockets, then they'll just have to go ahead and have a problem with it. The last couple of formal nights I attended ended up with my suit coat on the back of my chair all night...and guess what, I sat there in a shirt and tie and, shockingly, nobody was offended.

As for formal night, RCCL lists the "suggested" attire as formal. (Note the term "suggested"...they don't say "mandatory" or even "required".) If someone were to "suggest" to someone else on this board that they go fly a kite, would they feel compelled to do it, merely because it was "suggested"?

Thanks much...I wasn't trying to cause any problems. DH doesn't have a jacket and I didn't really want to go buy one if it wasn't totally necessary. I guess he could borrow one from my dad to hang on the back of his chair :D

Not to hi-jack the AOS discussion but I was just on the Crown Princess in Nov/December and I was surprised at the formal night dress since I has assumed it would be more formal than RCCL. It was not, I remember seeing only an handful of men in tuxes, some men were wearing suits and jackets and some with dress shirt and tie only.

Maybe with the extra charges for luggage people are re-thinking the nessessity of packing all those formal clothes................ but whatever it is I have noticed formal night dress has become more a suit or dress pants shirt, tie with the possible addition of a sport coat. Unless you go in wearing a t-shirt I don't think they will say anything in the MDR and even at that I have seen people in polos on formal night.

Enjoy your cruise. We cruised AOS in 08 and enjoyed the ITN and the staff was wonderful.

I totally agree with you. My DH looks great in his dress pants & shirt (with or without a tie) and he is "comfortable". I still dress for formal night ..... so wonder if they'd suggest we eat at different venues? I think you have the suggestion part correct .... We are dressed for dinner and enjoy the dining room and all that goes with that!

I haven't seen anyone show up in shorts or t-shirts on formal night on my cruises but do see some empty seats .... Maybe the fashion police effected that.

You are right - It's vacation people. Albeit a wonderful vacation, would the same fashion police .... intercede on land if someone went to a restaurant & they didn't approve of the attire? Time for "tolerance/ acceptance" - you may not know what "dressed up/ formal" means to everyone else AND this may be as "formal" as they get!

(I have the pleasure of working with people in healthcare from very diverse backgrounds .... attend a meeting, dinner and the "dress" is often dependent on where they are from geographically. I just accept this is "their" dressed/formal attire and go from there!) Do the clothes make the people? You may be missing out on alot of opportunities if you judge people like you would a book by its cover.

Sorry .... I just think people are more than their appearances & I love to meet people! I enjoy meeting people on these vacations as we can learn so much from others ... and I may never have the opportunity to go to that country. Remember the Golden Rule: treat others the way you'd want to be treated & as if everyone was wearing a sign that says "I want to feel important". OK - I'm off my soap box now!!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

Do any of you AOS veterans know about availability of Portofino's reservations while on the ship? We don't want to book ahead of time since we want to see what is being offered in the MDR on a particular day. But if there is a day that we would prefer to skip the MDR and book Portofino's, how difficult is it to get a reservation while on board...or even the same day? Plus, we have OBC and would prefer to have it applied to our seapass rather than paying upfront.

Do any of you AOS veterans know about availability of Portofino's reservations while on the ship? We don't want to book ahead of time since we want to see what is being offered in the MDR on a particular day. But if there is a day that we would prefer to skip the MDR and book Portofino's, how difficult is it to get a reservation while on board...or even the same day? Plus, we have OBC and would prefer to have it applied to our seapass rather than paying upfront.

With regard to reservations at Portofino....

Thy know how to take a reservation, they just don't know how to hold a reservation! :p Just kidding!!!

Seriously though, for some reason Wednesday nights seems to the weakest menu in the main dining room and is when I find Portofino to be the most busy. Every time we have had dinner at Portofino, we have always booked it while onboard with no problem - sometimes even the same day. If you really want to be assured the date/time that you want, then you are best to pre-book online.

In no time you will be hearing.....

Schmoopie for 2, Schmoopie for 2!!!!! :D:D:D

With regard to reservations at Portofino....

Thy know how to take a reservation, they just don't know how to hold a reservation! :p Just kidding!!!

Seriously though, for some reason Wednesday nights seems to the weakest menu in the main dining room and is when I find Portofino to be the most busy. Every time we have had dinner at Portofino, we have always booked it while onboard with no problem - sometimes even the same day. If you really want to be assured the date/time that you want, then you are best to pre-book online.

In no time you will be hearing.....

Schmoopie for 2, Schmoopie for 2!!!!! :D:D:D

And that's really the most important part...the holding of the reservation. Since it's an Italian restaurant, they probably won't have salsa. Or if I asked for it, they'd probably bring out seltzer.

That's interesting that Wednesday would be a not-so-good night in the MDR. I'll probably get up that day and say it feels like Tuesday and Mrs. Schmoopie will say that Tuesday has no feel.

And that's really the most important part...the holding of the reservation. Since it's an Italian restaurant, they probably won't have salsa. Or if I asked for it, they'd probably bring out seltzer.

That's interesting that Wednesday would be a not-so-good night in the MDR. I'll probably get up that day and say it feels like Tuesday and Mrs. Schmoopie will say that Tuesday has no feel.

They may not have salsa, but they do have soup. Wait, is soup really considered a meal????

You may want to consider a Big Salad.

They may not have salsa, but they do have soup. Wait, is soup really considered a meal????

You may want to consider a Big Salad.

The problem with the Big Salad is that the waiter would bring it to the table and he and the waiter's assistant will have an argument over who should take the credit for it.

I actually prefer fruit. Things like Mackinaw peaches, plantains and plums with the red inside. And, of course, mangoes...;)

The problem with the Big Salad is that the waiter would bring it to the table and he and the waiter's assistant will have an argument over who should take the credit for it.

I actually prefer fruit. Things like Mackinaw peaches, plantains and plums with the red inside. And, of course, mangoes...;)

I have to agree - the Mackinaw is a highly coveted, and very seasonal fruit :) You just have to hope that you don't get banned from the fruit store!!!

You can bypass the fruit and go straight for the ice cream sundae - but remember it is all about the hot fudge distribution! :p

What's the Big Salad???

I just went and bought new sandals and sunglasses at lunch today... getting so close!!!!! Got my Set Sail pass printed off, why is this week going so slooooooooooooooooooow when next week will go so fast???

I still have 32 days and I am asking the same question!

I am very happy to have read most of this thread, I was not worried about traveling with Puerto Rican's, I do a lot of business in PR and travel there 3-4x a year, love the people, culture, and attitudes. If having fun is a crime, lock us all up! Cannot wait to get on the AOS!

I still have 32 days and I am asking the same question!

I am very happy to have read most of this thread, I was not worried about traveling with Puerto Rican's, I do a lot of business in PR and travel there 3-4x a year, love the people, culture, and attitudes. If having fun is a crime, lock us all up! Cannot wait to get on the AOS!

Seeing as how you're from Minneapolis, I'd imagine that you're as excited to get away from all this snow as I am up here in Fargo!!

I've never cruised from PR before, but quite excited to see how much fun it is, and I've heard the dresses the PR women wear on Formal Night are wonderful!!!!

Archived