Does HAL still have Mr. ******dam and Ms. *****dam?

Dynaglyde

I was Ms. Statendam this past April, so they still had the program up until at least then. They didn't seem to promote it as much as on my previous cruises, so it wasn't much of an icebreaker. I wasn't found until the last day, and even at that I had to set myself up for discovery!

From what I have heard, S and R class ships still do it bur the Vista ships do not. This was discussed on this board about 2 years ago and I haven't seen any more references to the subject. I'm not even sure that the Vista ships ever chose and Mr/Mrs ship name.

GN

Mom was Mrs. Rotterdam V twice, and I was Mr. Rotterdam V once, both some years back (obviously). It was fun and we got some nice stuff at the end, although I was content with the honor.

When I was pulled aside by the Social Hostess the second night out, Mom said, "I saw what happened and I'm not going to ask." She spoke from experience. And she never asked.

Yes, it is. Someone from the cruise staff selects a lady and a gentleman (not married or related to each other) to be Ms. or Mr. (insert ship name) Dam. They ask the person if they would be willing to be the annointed one for that cruise. Then sometime during the cruise it is announced that there is a Ms ****Dam and a Mr. ****Dam and the passengers are to ask as many people possible if they are Ms. ****Dam. If you are the annointed one, the first person to ask you will receive some nice gifts at the end of the cruise at a public ceremony. After you have been discovered, thereafter when someone asks you, you say no. That is to keep the game going until the end of the cruise. It is a nice icebreaker, giving you a chance to talk to everyone. I was selected as Ms. Amsterdam a few years ago. I received some nice parting gifts and had the fun of keeping a secret for one whole week!

The Special Ednas are on their way.......

dynaglyde

I was on the Maasdam last May on its repo cruise to Montreal. After a couple of rough sea days, a member of the cruise staff asked me if I would become Mr. Maasdam, as the original selectee was quite seasick and remaining in his cabin. I replied sure. She told me that they selected passengers who were regularly participating in ship activities and were seen all about the ship.

Needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and was discovered by a passenger on about the tenth day of the 15 day cruise. He said he knew the criterior for selection, and noticed me all over the ship.

After the revealing, I felt like a celebrity, and at the next dinner, my tablemates good-naturedly chided me for not letting one of them in on the secret.

The best part, better even than the parting gifts, was being presented with an actual HAL employee name badge reading Mr. Maasdam.

I cherish that as the best souvenir I ever got from a cruise, and everytime I see it, it brings back pleasant memories of that great cruise.:)

Thanks for all the replies. It will be interesting to see if they still have it on our upcoming Westerdam cruise.

The Special Ednas

dynaglyde

When will you be on the Westerdam? DH and I are on her (along with at least 50 on our Roll Call) sailing January 27. If you're after that I'll come back and post whether or not we had th Mr. and Ms. game

I was on the Maasdam last May on its repo cruise to Montreal. After a couple of rough sea days, a member of the cruise staff asked me if I would become Mr. Maasdam, as the original selectee was quite seasick and remaining in his cabin. I replied sure. She told me that they selected passengers who were regularly participating in ship activities and were seen all about the ship.

Needless to say, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and was discovered by a passenger on about the tenth day of the 15 day cruise. He said he knew the criterior for selection, and noticed me all over the ship.

After the revealing, I felt like a celebrity, and at the next dinner, my tablemates good-naturedly chided me for not letting one of them in on the secret.

The best part, better even than the parting gifts, was being presented with an actual HAL employee name badge reading Mr. Maasdam.

I cherish that as the best souvenir I ever got from a cruise, and everytime I see it, it brings back pleasant memories of that great cruise.:)

What a wonderful story. What a lifetime memory for you. I think they should keep this tradition.

So many old traditions have "sailed" away for all us aboard cruises. Simple, fun ones are SO easy to keep......cheap, little effort required. You'd think they would.

I Love Scotland:

We will be on the Feb 3rd cruise, so I won't be checking e-mails until after I return from the cruise. Thank you for volunteering to find out!!

One of the Special Ednas

dynaglyde

We'll wave as we disembark that day! I know you'll have a great day as we expect to have.

• 2 weeks later...

As a former activity staff the Mr. and Mrs. pretty much is up to the CD as mentioned before. I have been on during a CD switch and it is like night and day. Some make a big deal and some don't. It's a pretty fun game although I have actually seen a guest walking up and down the lido lunch line asking everyone in line.

Archived