Gordan or Lawerence please advice

scottie86

Hi

I Just got back from a Cruise and stopped at Antigua for the day and made arrangements before I arrived with a Driver/tour operator named Christopher John--there was twelve of us and he was fantastic. He was retired from Airport Customs and was born and raised in Antigua and you could feel the Pride and Love he had for the Island. He took us to areas of the Island that many on the shore excursions from Princess didn't even get to go to. His Price was outstanding and he went well above and beyond what I expected. He stayed with us the entire day and supplied us with drinks during the day as well as stopping to buy us a Rum Punch to toast with us before he left us off at Jolly Beach for 2 1/2 hours while he waited for us------------I have never experienced such generousity and hospitality from a Driver before and have been on many tours on many different islands---I would Highly recommend him to anyone visiting the island of Antigua --His e-mail address is chrisolejohn@hotmail.com let him know John Z appreciated everything he did for our group

Hi

I Just got back from a Cruise and stopped at Antigua for the day and made arrangements before I arrived with a Driver/tour operator named Christopher John--there was twelve of us and he was fantastic. He was retired from Airport Customs and was born and raised in Antigua and you could feel the Pride and Love he had for the Island. He took us to areas of the Island that many on the shore excursions from Princess didn't even get to go to. His Price was outstanding and he went well above and beyond what I expected. He stayed with us the entire day and supplied us with drinks during the day as well as stopping to buy us a Rum Punch to toast with us before he left us off at Jolly Beach for 2 1/2 hours while he waited for us------------I have never experienced such generousity and hospitality from a Driver before and have been on many tours on many different islands---I would Highly recommend him to anyone visiting the island of Antigua --His e-mail address is chrisolejohn@hotmail.com let him know John Z appreciated everything he did for our group

What was his price? Did it include the $5 fee?

Steve

I keep reading about the $40pp with Gordon plus the $5 fee, and now a $20 booking fee. If that is for 2 people it'd be $110 total right?

He's quoting me $160 for a private tour with snacks and drinks included. I wonder if his prices went up....I'm going to check his website now.

I keep reading about the $40pp with Gordon plus the $5 fee, and now a $20 booking fee. If that is for 2 people it'd be $110 total right?

He's quoting me $160 for a private tour with snacks and drinks included. I wonder if his prices went up....I'm going to check his website now.

A private tour will be more than a tour with others.

The $20.00 booking fee is a deposit-this amount is deducated from the total amount of your tour.

The $5.00 fee for Nelson's Dockyard is the only amount that you pay extra for. You pay that admission fee yourself right at the Dockyard.

In order to run a particular tour, Gordan does require at least four people/tour. It appears that with a private tour, you will pay the extra in order to meet that 4/person quota. (That's where the $160.00 quote is coming from). If you decide to book a tour and be willing to join others, the cost should only be $80.00/couple (+ the $5.00 pp entrance fee at the Dockyards). After you pay your $20.00 booking fee, your balance owing to Gordan should only be $60.00, payable at the end of the tour.

I hope this information helps to clears things up for you--at least this is how it worked when we toured with him last month.

cz

Like I have stated before...you can grab a tour at the pier for $20 still (+$5 park fee) I was there again this past April and friends did exactly that.

STeve

We did the tour with Gordon during our Carnival Victory cruise 8/2-8/9. The price was $40/pp plus $5 the entry fee at the dockyards. I booked it on-line before the cruise and paid $20 booking fee which was deducted from the final payment. We were the only ones on the tour (3 people) so we ended up having a private tour (after all, is low season right now).

Regarding the tour I can say that Gordon was an excelent guide. We stopped at the market and he bought fruits for us, which were served after our beach stop. He had drinks and snacks. He is a very knowledgeable guy (he graduated college in New York) and knows a lot about the island history, and also we talked alot about current economy and politics. He was also very interested about the place we came from.

At the end of the tour we went to the beach and he waited for us two hours and dropped us to the ship.

Highly recommend Gordon. You may get a tour in the port for $20 (maybe now in low season when is only one ship in port for entire week but try that during peak season when they have 6 ships every day) but I would say that Gordon definitely merrited his fee.

The DW & I will be in Antiqua on Sept. 25th, on-board the Carnival Victory. I looked at the tours by Lawrence & Gordon, both highly recommended on CC, but made my reservation with Lawrence of Antiqua for three reasons. First, the DW & I did not want to sit at the beach. The beach is an option with Lawrence, but is part of Gordons's tour. Second, we did not want to spend all day on tour. Third, I did not feel confortable using my credit card for the booking fee in a foreign country that Gordon now requires. A fourth consideration could be the price, since Lawrence's tour is only $25, or $35 if you want to add the beach.

Here is a link to Lawrence's web site, & his financial crisis summer special:

http://www.lawrenceofantigua.com/

Either way, it looks like they both offer nice tours.

We also did Lawrence.............that didn't sound right..........anyway, we TOURED with Lawrence and loved the tour.

Just be warned..........you are on island time and our tour was much longer than was advertised.........We loved it, but if you are planning other things after the tour, you might not have time. Every tour we took on our last cruise was longer than advertised, but we loved it. We never paid extra but got a lot more tour for the bucks.

We also did Lawrence.............that didn't sound right..........anyway, we TOURED with Lawrence and loved the tour.

Just be warned..........you are on island time and our tour was much longer than was advertised.........We loved it, but if you are planning other things after the tour, you might not have time. Every tour we took on our last cruise was longer than advertised, but we loved it. We never paid extra but got a lot more tour for the bucks.

Did you skip the beach? If so, what time did you get back to the dock/town? We were hoping to have a lobster lunch in town before boarding, which is one reason we want to skip the beach.

Thank you all for replying to my question. After I posted that and told my husband, I realized the price difference would probably be because it's a private tour, just the 2 of us.

My husband has said he'd like to do some kind of tour while we're there with a stop at the beach (for me) before heading back to the boat. Gordan does this right? Or does that have to be on a private tour so he doesn't have to check with other riders?

Thank you all for replying to my question. After I posted that and told my husband, I realized the price difference would probably be because it's a private tour, just the 2 of us.

My husband has said he'd like to do some kind of tour while we're there with a stop at the beach (for me) before heading back to the boat. Gordan does this right? Or does that have to be on a private tour so he doesn't have to check with other riders?

gordon includes the beach time. one couple on our tour didn't realize it, so they didn't have suits. they spent the time walking the beach and drinking beer in the restaurant on the beach. Enjoy!

Did you skip the beach? If so, what time did you get back to the dock/town? We were hoping to have a lobster lunch in town before boarding, which is one reason we want to skip the beach.

No we did the beach and it ended up being one of our favorites. You really should do the beach too. I'm pretty sure it was Jolly beach and it was beautiful. Calm, clear and warm. We absolutely loved it.

When you arrive, there is someone who gets your chair for you and places it wherever you want it. I really enjoyed this time. If we ever go back to Antigua, I think we will just go straight to Jolly beach and relax the whole day.

Great tour and great beach!!

If you really want to get back early, just tell Lawrence. He's very accommodating. Great guide!!

DZ63, your reviews are excellent and much appreciated.

In February 2010 we're cruising the Southern Caribbean and two of the stops are Antigua and St Lucia. Our kids will be 9 and 8 then and we will only be doing one "island tour" so I'm trying to gather up some info before booking. Did your kids enjoy one island more than the other? Just curious. Thanks,

DZ63, your reviews are excellent and much appreciated.

In February 2010 we're cruising the Southern Caribbean and two of the stops are Antigua and St Lucia. Our kids will be 9 and 8 then and we will only be doing one "island tour" so I'm trying to gather up some info before booking. Did your kids enjoy one island more than the other? Just curious. Thanks,

The you for your comments. I'm glad you enjoyed our review.

Although both islands are nice, my boys enjoyed St. Lucia more. St. Lucia is much more lush and mountaineous than Antigua and being able to see the Pitons was amazing. The beach in St. Lucia was more scenic and beautiful than the one in Antigua. The abundance of food, free drinks, interesting sites and the beautiful Jalouise Beach were definite drawing cards--especially being able to jump of the dock!

P.S. Did you read my pictorial review of St. Lucia?

cz

Although both islands are nice, my boys enjoyed St. Lucia more. St. Lucia is much more lush and mountaineous than Antigua and being able to see the Pitons was amazing. The beach in St. Lucia was more scenic and beautiful than the one in Antigua. The abundance of food, free drinks, interesting sites and the beautiful Jalouise Beach were definite drawing cards--especially being able to jump of the dock!

cz

Thanks again so much, you're insight helps alot. It certainly appears that your family had a great cruise.

scott

PS. yes, I saw your St Lucia review and also your review on the carnival board. We're going on RCI's Serenade and the kids are excited that we're "only" 5 1/2 month's away.

• 4 weeks later...
They charge $35 on up per person.

There is no need to reserve with anyone.There are hundreds of guides at the port just waiting to take you on a tour and they charge only $20.There is not really anything here to see or do except the beach. All the guides go to the same places and they are few in number.

Same the extra money and grab a tour when you dock.Tell them to follow Gordon if you want to but you are going to the same place's anyway.

nothing to see??? were we on the same island??

cz

The beach in St Lucia is more scenic and beautiful but the snorkeling at turners beach in Antigua was much more extensive and interesting

The DW & I will be in Antiqua on Sept. 25th, on-board the Carnival Victory. I looked at the tours by Lawrence & Gordon, both highly recommended on CC, but made my reservation with Lawrence of Antiqua for three reasons. First, the DW & I did not want to sit at the beach. The beach is an option with Lawrence, but is part of Gordons's tour. Second, we did not want to spend all day on tour. Third, I did not feel confortable using my credit card for the booking fee in a foreign country that Gordon now requires. A fourth consideration could be the price, since Lawrence's tour is only $25, or $35 if you want to add the beach.

Here is a link to Lawrence's web site, & his financial crisis summer special:

http://www.lawrenceofantigua.com/

Either way, it looks like they both offer nice tours.

you wouldn't know unless you booked it but the booking fee goes through yahoo to a new york bank, no foreign country involved. We were just on Gordon's tour a week or so ago and I talked afterwards to people who went on lawrence. Yes he's cheaper but you don't get all the food and snacks that you do with Gordon. I watched him spend probably $20 or $25 dollars out of his pocket buying all akinds of fruits for us to try on the market tour

you wouldn't know unless you booked it but the booking fee goes through yahoo to a new york bank, no foreign country involved. We were just on Gordon's tour a week or so ago and I talked afterwards to people who went on lawrence. Yes he's cheaper but you don't get all the food and snacks that you do with Gordon. I watched him spend probably $20 or $25 dollars out of his pocket buying all akinds of fruits for us to try on the market tour

"you wouldn't know unless you booked it", might be true, but it's undisclosed and "I" still wouldn't do it as long as "I" have an alternative (and I still wouldn't do it). I may or may not get a shock sticking my tongue in a light socket, but "I" am NOT going to "try it" to find out.

Fact still remains that Lawrence was cheaper and I did NOT want to go to the beach and had no option with Gordon but to go to the beach. There was eight of us in Lawrence's van and only one couple wanted to go to the beach, so it's not uncommon. For me and my wife it worked out great. Lawrence stopped at Turner beach (the consessions at Jolly were closed that week) to let our freinds out, before taking us back into town for a creole seafood lunch, followed by some shopping. I got out and saw Turner beach and it is beautiful, much more than the beach on St. Lucia or Coki beach was. A big mult-blue water colored beach with little tiki/hatch covered polls for shade. I heard the food there was also good. When we talked to our friends that night, the were thankful that we recommended Lawrence. After dropping us off in town, Lawrence went straight back to the beach and waited for our friends, who were in the water for 3 hours and loved it. They couldn't believe that Lawrence waited for them as long, with out rushing them.

The advantage of CruiseCritic.com is that cruisers can read about Gordon, Lawrence, along with the Taxi vultures and make up their own mind based on their individual circumstances. For our circumstances/needs, Lawrence fit the bill.

• 1 month later...

Just returned from tour with Lawrence and would not tour with him again. The group was too large and it took 30 minutes for him to figure out how to get us into his bus and addit'l busses even though he knew well ahead the size of the group. We actually ended up on Lawrence's bus and all the drinks were in a cooler in another bus and he would bring a bottle or two of water on our bus to pass around. Not enough for all. At the Dockyard he told us to meet at the bus PROMPTLY at noon and he left us baking in the hot sun for a half an hour while he conducted his personal business (again no drinks). He had zilch personality but he did give us some information on the microphone. Views and stops were great but he was clearly not equipped to handle a group of 40 for the day. Several people were clearly perturbed with him and asked to be returned to the ship rather than remain at the beach. Just for frame of reference we have always been pleased with our tours (some more than others) but this is the first time EVER we have not tipped a tour operator.

We had an unpleasant experience with Lawrence even though we did not book with him. I emailed him very early on to inquire about his tours and left my name, # of passengers and the date of arrival. This was at least 6 mos. in advance of coming and told him I would await his quote. Later I found out about Gordon and decided to use him so I emailed Lawrence to let him know we would not need his services. Well Gordon met us with a sign with my name and Lawrence then swooped in with the original email I had sent and started an arguement about how we had a deal. I tried to tell him about the 2nd email to cancel but he would not believe me and finally we just had to walk away as he was making a scene. Gordon kept his cool and we had great time with him. He is such a nice guy and I still keep up with him on facebook. Many say Lawrence provided a nice tour but he sure can have his moments too. JM2C.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived