Gordan or Lawerence please advice

scottie86

I emailed Gordon and awaiting a reply. I am worried though because I am solo and from what I have read, he will charge more money if his van is not full.

On a separate question, are you supposed to tip the independent tour guides (in addition to the fare?) And if so, how much?

i don't know about him charging more, but he usually will get quite a few people from each ship. He had 2 vans from my ship filled up.

I usually tip about $5 for a tour. He will go out of his way to make sure you are happy and fed. If you run out of beverages, he will stop and pick more up. He is very proud of his country. Our tour lasted about 2 hrs more than he said it would. Don't forget to wear your beach gear. He will stop at a lovely beach for about 2 hrs before departing back for the ship. At least one couple on our tour was unaware you stop at the beach.

Linda

i don't know about him charging more, but he usually will get quite a few people from each ship. He had 2 vans from my ship filled up.

I usually tip about $5 for a tour. He will go out of his way to make sure you are happy and fed. If you run out of beverages, he will stop and pick more up. He is very proud of his country. Our tour lasted about 2 hrs more than he said it would. Don't forget to wear your beach gear. He will stop at a lovely beach for about 2 hrs before departing back for the ship. At least one couple on our tour was unaware you stop at the beach.

Linda

He confirmed me but advised that he needs a van of 3 or more. He also stated that I will not be with him because he has to do private tour the day I will be in Antigua and that I will be with someone else from his team. Now I am just awaiting to see if others will book a tour. I really want to tour with his company. I refuse to do the Carnival excursions for the triple the price and half the fun.

He confirmed me but advised that he needs a van of 3 or more. He also stated that I will not be with him because he has to do private tour the day I will be in Antigua and that I will be with someone else from his team. Now I am just awaiting to see if others will book a tour. I really want to tour with his company. I refuse to do the Carnival excursions for the triple the price and half the fun.

I think the guy who works with him is Abe. The other van enjoyed him too, but he didn't take them to Devil's Bridge at the end of the tour, which you should insist on.

Linda

We just returned from a 9 day Carnival cruise on the Dream. One of the ports of call was Antigua. This was our first time going on a non Carnival Tour. We used Lawrence of Antigua and had a wonderful time. There are two Lawrence tour operators in Antigua. We were very happy with Lawrence of Antigua. His van was very clean, provide us with soda, water, and local beer. We we shown the island and stopped for lots of pictures. I would use him again. We did not pay until the end of the tour.

Thank you Lawrence for a wonderful day

leedm

Hi,

We are booked on the NCL's Dawn and will be in Antigua on Tuesday, March 16. I have been checking the boards to see what kind of private tour we can do and I couldn't help but read about him. I know he is Lawence of Antigua. (I have already been in email contact with another tour guide named Christopher John also found on Cruise Critic with good reviews.) How many people were in your tour? Did you find them on your Roll Call? Did he decide the itinerary or did you? Where exactly did you go? How long was the tour? How much did he charge you for the day and when did you pay him? Sorry to be so inquisitive but I like to be informed. I can always count on the friendliness and informative Cruise Critic members!

Thanks so much in advance!!!

jerseyjill

We just got back from a week on the Serenade of the Seas and enjoyed Gordon's tour on our stop on Antigua. I contacted Gordon a couple of months before our trip and at the time he didn't have anyone else signed up for that day. I didn't want to pay extra for a private tour so I just stayed in touch and checked back in with him a couple of weeks ahead and he confirmed the group rate. On the day of the tour he actually filled two vans, so I think a lot of people book at the last minute. Don't give up if you are currently the first couple of people -- keep checking with him. It was a great tour. Gordon is really a great guy and you'll definitely see all the highlights of the island.

We just got back from a week on the Serenade of the Seas and enjoyed Gordon's tour on our stop on Antigua. I contacted Gordon a couple of months before our trip and at the time he didn't have anyone else signed up for that day. I didn't want to pay extra for a private tour so I just stayed in touch and checked back in with him a couple of weeks ahead and he confirmed the group rate. On the day of the tour he actually filled two vans, so I think a lot of people book at the last minute. Don't give up if you are currently the first couple of people -- keep checking with him. It was a great tour. Gordon is really a great guy and you'll definitely see all the highlights of the island.

My family of 4 were with Gordon the week of Dec 13..

He was great we did ziplineing first he had his 8 year old daughter him

She wanted to try ziplineing what a doll. We then did the whole Island tour. You can really tell that Gordon is really proud of his Island and knows all about it. My daughter and her DF are veggies and Gordon when out of his way to get them veggie pizza and all of us a spicy fried bean cake oh my goodness it was so good we also Had drinks and wings.

You really can not go wrong booking with him when we go back and we will very soon. We will want Gordon again.

Leigh and Mike

P.S.

Gordon if your reading this Pic are coming soon.

It does not pay to be solo. Gordon will not confirm me for a tour because it is only me and no other groups have contacted him about booking a tour. I do not know what I am going to do now??

There plenty of drivers at the pier for $20. Just hang there and they will approach you.Many even have picture signs of the sites.When they get a few more poeople you have an instant tour.It is a very safe island.

Steve

Same thing happened to us. He told us there was no one else to book the tour with and we did not want to pay the whole price alone. Once we met him at the dock and told him this, he scanned the crowd for another couple to split the cost with. We waited about 20 minutes and he found us a lovely couple from Italy who were on their honeymoon. Just letting you know that this is another option as well. If he books another person from the pier, he will be making more more. He is a business man after all.

Did anybody already do the Stingray City + Island Tour offered by Gordon?

We are looking for the best way to combine seeing something of the island+Stingray City visit+beach time and this seems to be an option...

Or does anybody have experience with visiting Stingray City "on their own" ? Is it worth visiting?

From reading some of the pages here it seems that the island tours offered by Gordon and Lawrence are relatively similar. I would like to know, if they are really recommendable... I mean, do you really get to see "good sights" worth visiting? Or is it just market, shops, nothing special etc... ? And is it consequently more recommendable just to visit different beaches in Antigua to make most of the visit and to make the most important stops of a tour on our own with a taxi in order to be more flexible?

We are first time visitors ;-) any comments will be appreciated. Thank you.

Did anybody already do the Stingray City + Island Tour offered by Gordon?

We are looking for the best way to combine seeing something of the island+Stingray City visit+beach time and this seems to be an option...

Or does anybody have experience with visiting Stingray City "on their own" ? Is it worth visiting?

From reading some of the pages here it seems that the island tours offered by Gordon and Lawrence are relatively similar. I would like to know, if they are really recommendable... I mean, do you really get to see "good sights" worth visiting? Or is it just market, shops, nothing special etc... ? And is it consequently more recommendable just to visit different beaches in Antigua to make most of the visit and to make the most important stops of a tour on our own with a taxi in order to be more flexible?

We are first time visitors ;-) any comments will be appreciated. Thank you.

What you need to understand here is that this is a very small island. All the drivers at the port area all follow the leader as they all go to the same place.There is only a handfull of places to see and if you are not a history buff then you might be board. The only difference between the two operators you mention above and the drivers at the pier is that they charge almost double.Some will tell you how great they are,others the opposite.Until you do the tour both ways,neither can comment on the other.

Steve

The only difference between the two operators you mention above and the drivers at the pier is that they charge almost double.Steve

Thanks Steve for this really helpful input, this may change my way of planing.

So what you mean is that it might not be necessary to buy a 35 or 40 $ tour by Gordon / Lawrence instead it might be easier and more flexible to take a taxi for maybe or certainly less money in total to the places we want to see? Is this correct? I think we would probably want to go to Stingray City, the main spots of the city and then a great beach to spend some time...

Thanks for your input.

Gordon booked me for a the best of island paradise tour. I understand the island is small but I would rather book with a tour operator. Plus, I have read a lot of positive things about Gordon. He is very nice guy via email and I look forward to using his services. I will of course report back once I return!!

I think you get more out of the visit if you use someone "like" gordon, who is terrific. He knows his island, takes you everywhere, explains things, doesn't take you shopping unless you request it, and still gives you beach time. We had a few hours on the beach. It was great. he swam with us and fed the fish. If you hire a cab to see the sites, go to the beach and hire a cab to return you to port, it will probably cost you more than doing a tour with Gordon

Linda

Thanks Steve for this really helpful input, this may change my way of planing.

So what you mean is that it might not be necessary to buy a 35 or 40 $ tour by Gordon / Lawrence instead it might be easier and more flexible to take a taxi for maybe or certainly less money in total to the places we want to see? Is this correct? I think we would probably want to go to Stingray City, the main spots of the city and then a great beach to spend some time...

Thanks for your input.

Yes. I also doubt that Gordon or Lawrence would give you the island tour and drop you off and pick up for $40 at stingray city.The stingrays are at the opposite end of the island in Mercers which is still a half hour drive away.

If you wait until the bulk of the passengers get off ship you will be able to cut a deal with one of the MANY remaining drivers trying to get a fare.

If you cut a deal with a driver to drop you off,do not pay them until they pick you up at the agreed upon time.They will be there to get you.They don't want another driver catching a half fare back when they also pick up passengers who were dropped off there. Most have 14 passenger vans so they can always squeeze a few more in.

Steve

• 1 month later...
Which Lawrence is the best tour guide to have? And what is his email address?

Thank you!

There are two Lawrences - one is a rip-off artist who favors torn t-shirts and hangs around the dock and pretends he is Lawrence of Antigua - stay very clear of him.

The other wears a vest - we have been with him and were very satisfied. MUCH Better than the other two tours we have taken in Antigua.

His email address is:

lawrenceofantigua@yahoo.com

There plenty of drivers at the pier for $20. Just hang there and they will approach you.Many even have picture signs of the sites.When they get a few more poeople you have an instant tour.It is a very safe island.

Steve

Hi, Steve,

what do you mean by $20.00? is it for one person or for a cab? is it for the whole cost if we want to go all the places listed by Gordon's website?

Hi, Steve,

what do you mean by $20.00? is it for one person or for a cab? is it for the whole cost if we want to go all the places listed by Gordon's website?

$20 per person plus $5 park fee for a 3 hour or so tour that Gordon or any of the others offer. Print a page of gordons tour and at the pier,show it to one of the many drivers there.There will be some with a laminated sheet highlighting the sites which are the same for everyone.This is a very tiny island so there is nothing special that any other guide has.

Steve

Archived