Crossing Nov 2008

LBLB

Hi Sea Dreamers!

I have to admit' date=' I've been lurking again...and the excitement is building as I see the pictures of your transatlantic cruise, and start thinking about our (DJ and me, and many of our SD cruise-mates) 10-day cruise next March, celebrating 25 years of wedded bliss (most of them happy;)).

FT - Anything you say can (and will) be used against you... I'm sorry DJ was not able to join you this trip... but SO glad she is here with me...we'll talk when you get back! BTW...isn't it odd, that DJ and ZQVOL were taking the same route this afternoon?

So with that, I return to Lurkdom... (until DJ lets me out to play again:p)[/quote']

I thought "what happens on Sea Dream stays on SeaDream" but that was before internet blogs and cameras with memory sticks (photos you think will stay within your little group somehow end up in the hands of the Captain and on the internet - thanks CTBJR - just remember payback is hell . . .I think Kim needs to hear about the lovely jewelry on board)

SD has done it again - Stephane, our Hotel Manager, is going to become as big a draw as Christophe the Great. Attention to detail and a winning personality . . . Hopefully we won't scare him off before our March 09 cruise.

As CTBJR mentioned, we've been advised that we're not going to have as great weather as we did yesterday, so we are taking an even more scenic route. I don't think any of the guests want to get off (the best group I've have ever experienced on SD, don't tell Miami, but its worth an addtional premium to be on a voyage with this group) so if we are delayed . . . don't worry. :D

FT

Anyone notice the noon position today. Looks like Capt T had to make a turn to the south to avoid the major seas that are out there today.

According to FT they are taking the scenic route home.

Here is the wave height map for the day:

http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/atlm.html?map=wave

My guess is that they are feeling the motion in the ocean today.

Definitely some motion in the ocean:eek:

I can assure you though these yachts/ships handle those seas well. We were in some 20-foot plus swells/waves in March. I found staying midship, hydrated and in the fresh air was all I needed ... okay I admit the Bombay Sapphire and Diet Tonics while in the Office was all I needed:p

I wonder how far south they will head before having to make the move north?

Definitely some motion in the ocean:eek:

I can assure you though these yachts/ships handle those seas well. We were in some 20-foot plus swells/waves in March. I found staying midship, hydrated and in the fresh air was all I needed ... okay I admit the Bombay Sapphire and Diet Tonics while in the Office was all I needed:p

I wonder how far south they will head before having to make the move north?

FT says that they are heading toward Grand Turk and then turning west.

Sounds like the weather and the seas are keeping Capt. T and the bridge crew on their toes.

Wonder if they will stop in Grand Turk so ctbjr can make a jewelry stop at Little Switzerland:p

since I am directionally challenged -I have no clue as to whether we actually approached Grand Turk, but as of last night's announcement, we were headed near Turks & Caicos (personally, I'd love a stop in Grace Bay or Parrot Key), then skirting Cuba, and then north through the Bahama Channel to Miami. I don't know where we've gone today, but yes the seas have picked up. We started out with a bit of rain around 7:00 this morning, then a glorious day until about 3:30 when the clouds moved in and the swells grew a bit. Still doesn't approach "rough" conditions yet, but I passed on the 5:00p.m. walk.

Today's poolside pass around were spring rolls and beef and chicken sate. Soup was sweet corn and the salad bar had a tasty seafood salad with lots of calamari. Stone crab claws were also featured. The pasta dishes were well received at our table.

I highly recommend the "aroma expert" treatment at the spa. Its an interesting combination of a pressure point back and face massage and a facial. Nothing booked for tomorrow - going to wait to see wave levels but the Minty Foot Massage looks pretty good.

Crew had the simulated emergency drill today - a fire somewhere in the ship and the drill lasted half an hour. I made sure to get the daily dose of vitamin C and potassium (Super Mario's banana dacquiri) before the bar shut down for the drill. Later in the day, Mrs. Toybar ordered a Mai Tai and much of the pool side crowd followed her example. Hear we are running low on the Caribe beer and CTBJR exhausted the Red Stripe several days ago . . . I think Stella Artois will be the next beer of choice at the office.

we're two hours ahead of EST now and should have a time change tonight . . .love that extra hour.

FT

Thanks for checking in FT ... even though you aren't exactly sure where in the ocean you are currently located:p

zqvol was kind enough to provide a link to the wave height map ... sure don't like seeing those yellow and orange areas not to mention the red:eek:

Glad to hear that you were able to procure your vitamin drink before the drill. It is amazing to watch the crew and staff practicing emergency drills.

Life's tough when you have to settle for Stella Artois instead of Caribe or Red Stripe:cool:

Guessing that dinner will NOT be alfresco this evening:p

The aroma expert treatment is definitely something I will be looking into come March! Thanks for that tip.

Hoping that the motion in the ocean doesn't spoil dinner!

Thanks for checking in FT ... even though you aren't exactly sure where in the ocean you are currently located:p

.. .

Guessing that dinner will NOT be alfresco this evening:p

Hoping that the motion in the ocean doesn't spoil dinner!

You are correct, dinner is NOT alfresco. And I'm one of the multiples choosing to forego. Capt T confirmed a few minutes ago that we should be in Turks & Caicos by Sat. a.m. This weather is expected to continue as is - 12 ft waves for the next 24-36 hrs. Since nothing has started moving around in the cabin yet, its not that bad. But compared to prior crossings, this is by far the worst weather.

after dinner dancing has been moved from TOY Bar to the main salon but that seems to be the only change in the agenda. it will be interesting to see how the morning walk goes tomorrow. The one this afternoon was described as being in a pinball machine.

FT

You are correct, dinner is NOT alfresco. And I'm one of the multiples choosing to forego. Capt T confirmed a few minutes ago that we should be in Turks & Caicos by Sat. a.m. This weather is expected to continue as is - 12 ft waves for the next 24-36 hrs. Since nothing has started moving around in the cabin yet, its not that bad. But compared to prior crossings, this is by far the worst weather.

after dinner dancing has been moved from TOY Bar to the main salon but that seems to be the only change in the agenda. it will be interesting to see how the morning walk goes tomorrow. The one this afternoon was described as being in a pinball machine.

FT

Forgoing dinner?? Seriously, you need to make sure you eat something and of course stay hydrated to combat that motion in the ocean. DH and I both find that the absolute worse place to be when, as Capt. Berg says, "You start dancing with the ship" is indoors.

We find the Office to be the best place ... midship as you can be although a little on the high side in terms of deck.

Bravo to Capt. T for making the run to the Turks and Caicos. I know you will be much more comfortable even though you have to endure the next 24 to 36 hours.

Now I will show my nerdy-ness ... Is it a following or leading (head) sea?

It's awfully quiet here ...

I did receive an email from FT this morning saying that she took a Dramamine last night and had a good night's sleep:)

Hopefully everyone has their sea legs, the sun is out and all of our reporters are out and about the ship!

Some very creative shots from Day 7 ... I was impressed with the bow shoot!

It also was great to see the crew enjoying their ice cream social!!

It's awfully quiet here ...

I did receive an email from FT this morning saying that she took a Dramamine last night and had a good night's sleep:)

Hopefully everyone has their sea legs, the sun is out and all of our reporters are out and about the ship!

Some very creative shots from Day 7 ... I was impressed with the bow shoot!

It also was great to see the crew enjoying their ice cream social!!

Sounds like the same e-mail that I got. FT, is out of Internet time so we may not hear from her until next week again.

Sounds like the same e-mail that I got. FT, is out of Internet time so we may not hear from her until next week again.

Hopefully ctbjr will stay connected so we will have some updates.

How did you like the SNOW this morning:eek:

Hopefully ctbjr will stay connected so we will have some updates.

How did you like the SNOW this morning:eek:

It wasn't the snow that was bad, it was the ice that I fell on in Winston that was the wonderful part. I hate slippery ground:mad::mad::mad:

had to extend internet access for one more day due to work issues - now hopefully resolved.

seas calmed down this morning and its been a cloudy day. The Captain announced at lunch today that since CTBJR and TOYBAR had drunk all the Red Stripe and Caribe beer on board we were stopping at Grand Turk to replenish. We are due there at 5:00 a.m. tomorrow morning - in reality we are having to stop for a med evac, one person is getting off with appendicitis, we wish her the best for a successful recovery. Apparently the terribly efficient provision master is restocking certain beers during our brief stay.Wonder if that's enough time to work in a snorkel trip?

lunch today was terrific -- carrot, orange and ginger soup and the renowned Thai fish cakes with lemon and chili sauce. yum yum.:D

FT

I suspect that you will dock at the Carnival piers. Maybe Margaritaville will be open for you, or the jewelry store that is right there for CBTJR.

while TOYBAR and CTBJR offered to make the beer run, I don't think anyone will be allowed off the ship. that's ok, we in fact are quite willing to have the ship turn around and head back to Tenerife in case someone needs to pick up a forgotten belonging. no need for dry land for this hardy group.

FT

I suspect that you will dock at the Carnival piers. Maybe Margaritaville will be open for you, or the jewelry store that is right there for CBTJR.

We docked there last year when we were on HAL at Thanksgiving. There is a Little Switzerland right there!! Can't say I didn't try Mrs. ctbjr;)

had to extend internet access for one more day due to work issues - now hopefully resolved.

seas calmed down this morning and its been a cloudy day. The Captain announced at lunch today that since CTBJR and TOYBAR had drunk all the Red Stripe and Caribe beer on board we were stopping at Grand Turk to replenish. We are due there at 5:00 a.m. tomorrow morning - in reality we are having to stop for a med evac, one person is getting off with appendicitis, we wish her the best for a successful recovery. Apparently the terribly efficient provision master is restocking certain beers during our brief stay.Wonder if that's enough time to work in a snorkel trip?

lunch today was terrific -- carrot, orange and ginger soup and the renowned Thai fish cakes with lemon and chili sauce. yum yum.:D

FT

Talk about service!! Diverting from the intended course under the guise of weather and seas and a medical emergency all just to get more Red Stripe and Caribe for CTBJR and TOYBAR (where is that tongue-in-cheek smilie?).

Seriously, sending good thoughts and wishes for a speedy recovery to the patient.

Lunch sounds delicious ... as always. I always find the soups on SD to be excellent!

Hope all the work issues are resolved ... at least you know what you will be coming back to in the office on Tuesday.

And now some time for questions (although I believe there are one or two outstanding from the last series:eek: Actually one was a nautical question;))

When will you have the chef's degustation menu?

With this being a longer than typical 7 night cruise ... is the menu being repeated or are there new offerings every night?

That's all I can think of for now. Need to get back to preparing the house for in the influx of family next week (where is that fainting smilie when I need it?)

We find the Office to be the best place ... midship as you can be although a little on the high side in terms of deck.

I will second this advice, as we followed it when we were both dying a slow death by motion sickness during our April Carib. voyage. Thanks, DJ!

Hope you are all doing well and surviving the pinball machine effect. :eek:

Be sure to have a cocktail/beer/champagne & toast all of us who are stuck here. :)

Continued good times!

DJ - don't have a clue which way we are going wave wise. I do know the waves aren't "slapping" the boat. Its a fairly nice "roll" motion.

Saw four dolphins (or at least we think there were 4 - could have been more) this afternoon. They swam along the ship - in tandem, then all 4. It was great and yes, pictures were taken, proving that this was not an alcohol induced sighting.

Dinner tonight is the "Caribbean dinner" -- all I can remember from reading the menu is a great jerked chicken entree, st lucian tomato soup, crab cakes . . . and no, as far as I can tell, no repetition. the kitchen is extremely creative. Scales will be banned from the house for at least two weeks after disembarking in Miami.

So that leaves two nights for the degustation menu - my bet is for tomorrow night but heck, who would have predicted a mid Atlantic champagne and caviar splash. And for those who love caviar -- there has been an appetizer or hor doervre every night with caviar in addtion to the Captain's reception, the Return Guest reception and the Splash.

Did the two mile walk this afternoon. James is a walking maniac. I heard they broke the record for the time on the 4 mile walk this morning -- I cheered from the pool deck.

Celebrated the end of the walk with Zoltan's mean champagne cocktail . . . these bartenders are the best!! Mai tais and mud slides were ordered pools side today and I hear Mrs. Toybar plans to try a B 52 for the first time tonight.

more later . . .:D

FT

I will second this advice, as we followed it when we were both dying a slow death by motion sickness during our April Carib. voyage. Thanks, DJ!

Hope you are all doing well and surviving the pinball machine effect. :eek:

Be sure to have a cocktail/beer/champagne & toast all of us who are stuck here. :)

Continued good times!

Always glad to share Cammiem ... another tip is to focus on a point just above the horizon.

DJ - don't have a clue which way we are going wave wise. I do know the waves aren't "slapping" the boat. Its a fairly nice "roll" motion.

Saw four dolphins (or at least we think there were 4 - could have been more) this afternoon. They swam along the ship - in tandem, then all 4. It was great and yes, pictures were taken, proving that this was not an alcohol induced sighting.

Dinner tonight is the "Caribbean dinner" -- all I can remember from reading the menu is a great jerked chicken entree, st lucian tomato soup, crab cakes . . . and no, as far as I can tell, no repetition. the kitchen is extremely creative. Scales will be banned from the house for at least two weeks after disembarking in Miami.

So that leaves two nights for the degustation menu - my bet is for tomorrow night but heck, who would have predicted a mid Atlantic champagne and caviar splash. And for those who love caviar -- there has been an appetizer or hor doervre every night with caviar in addtion to the Captain's reception, the Return Guest reception and the Splash.

Did the two mile walk this afternoon. James is a walking maniac. I heard they broke the record for the time on the 4 mile walk this morning -- I cheered from the pool deck.

Celebrated the end of the walk with Zoltan's mean champagne cocktail . . . these bartenders are the best!! Mai tais and mud slides were ordered pools side today and I hear Mrs. Toybar plans to try a B 52 for the first time tonight.

more later . . .:D

FT

Guessing that SD2 is still dockside at Grand Turk taking on the all important provisions ... BEER and fuel:p

Looking forward to a report on the Caribbean dinner last night as well as Mrs. TOYBAR's review of the B 52 (I have no clue what is in it).

I know FT's internet access expires at noon today ... Hopefully the MIA reporter CTBJR will pick up the slack:D

Guessing that SD2 is still dockside at Grand Turk taking on the all important provisions ... BEER and fuel:p

Looking forward to a report on the Caribbean dinner last night as well as Mrs. TOYBAR's review of the B 52 (I have no clue what is in it).

I know FT's internet access expires at noon today ... Hopefully the MIA reporter CTBJR will pick up the slack:D

got to Grand Turk around 5:00 a.m. there was quite a merry band watching the captain "drive" and "park" the ship. Since we all left wake up calls for 4:30 a.m. or so, got to see the big dipper and orion's belt as we came in to the pier. The patient was evacuated quickly and was scheduled for surgery this morning. Hopefully she'll have a fast recovery.

Port agent wimped out and wouldn't deliver the beer and more importantly sparkling water at such an early hour. so we were back on our way as soon as the ambulance pulled away.

dinner was fabulous -- starting with the crab cake, then tomato soup, on to an aubergine salad (seemed to be topped with seaweed salad - excellent flavors), and a huge slab of beef as the entree. Dessert for the table was Baked Alaska - lemoncello flavor. Our mischevious waiter Silvio enlisted the entire staff in playing a prank (long running joke this trip about the amount of food being consumed), but payback will be delivered on Sunday.

After dinner it was up to the TOYBAR where as the night wound down, Mrs. Toybar and I listened to Mr. KC's "Be As You Are" and "Lucky Old Sun" albums. We also acheived a first for us -- outlasted everyone else and "closed the bar" at 2:00. We won our bet with bartender Chad who didn't believe we would make it up for our arrival at Grand Turk. Due to our 4:30 wake up calls, Mrs. Toybar's date with the B 52 (this one is constructed with kahlua, bailey's, and grand marnier - in layers - I'll stick with the lemoncello) was postponed.

Since it was dark all we really saw of Grand Turk was the lights of the airport runways and the pier.

Degustation dinner is tonight and since internet is going off, CTBJR will have to describe. Looks like we are going to have another sunny day. Off to breakfast and sleep by the pool. Monday is getting here too fast.

FT

got to Grand Turk around 5:00 a.m. there was quite a merry band watching the captain "drive" and "park" the ship. Since we all left wake up calls for 4:30 a.m. or so, got to see the big dipper and orion's belt as we came in to the pier. The patient was evacuated quickly and was scheduled for surgery this morning. Hopefully she'll have a fast recovery.

Port agent wimped out and wouldn't deliver the beer and more importantly sparkling water at such an early hour. so we were back on our way as soon as the ambulance pulled away.

dinner was fabulous -- starting with the crab cake, then tomato soup, on to an aubergine salad (seemed to be topped with seaweed salad - excellent flavors), and a huge slab of beef as the entree. Dessert for the table was Baked Alaska - lemoncello flavor. Our mischevious waiter Silvio enlisted the entire staff in playing a prank (long running joke this trip about the amount of food being consumed), but payback will be delivered on Sunday.

After dinner it was up to the TOYBAR where as the night wound down, Mrs. Toybar and I listened to Mr. KC's "Be As You Are" and "Lucky Old Sun" albums. We also acheived a first for us -- outlasted everyone else and "closed the bar" at 2:00. We won our bet with bartender Chad who didn't believe we would make it up for our arrival at Grand Turk. Due to our 4:30 wake up calls, Mrs. Toybar's date with the B 52 (this one is constructed with kahlua, bailey's, and grand marnier - in layers - I'll stick with the lemoncello) was postponed.

Since it was dark all we really saw of Grand Turk was the lights of the airport runways and the pier.

Degustation dinner is tonight and since internet is going off, CTBJR will have to describe. Looks like we are going to have another sunny day. Off to breakfast and sleep by the pool. Monday is getting here too fast.

FT

Yikes ... FT and Mrs. TOYBAR are quite the party animals. I can't remember the last time I willingly went with 2.5 hours of sleep!

KC's (aka the cowboy) music is just perfect for cruising on SD, don't you think? Okay I admit is great anytime:)

You really didn't miss seeing much on Grand Turk. All that is there is Margaritaville and some shops. I bet the sky was BEAUTIFUL!! DJ's DH and I love stargazing in the Caribbean ... but not at 4 a.m.:eek:

As always dinner sounds delightful! Tonight's degustation menu should be fabulous.

Hopefully CTBJR will take over FT's reporting duties:p

Enjoying the waning hours of your voyage!!

went back to bed after leaving Grand Turk, so got a little bit more than 2.5 hrs sleep. A lot less stressful than getting stranded in an airport . . . had eggs benedict and a cappuchino . . . now siting and watching the Caicos go by -- we're fast approaching Provo and should be moving out of the Atlantic. Never thought I'd get to say I was in the Caribbean, but glad to be doing so.

it is a glorious day . . . :D

FT

went back to bed after leaving Grand Turk, so got a little bit more than 2.5 hrs sleep. A lot less stressful than getting stranded in an airport . . . had eggs benedict and a cappuchino . . . now siting and watching the Caicos go by -- we're fast approaching Provo and should be moving out of the Atlantic. Never thought I'd get to say I was in the Caribbean, but glad to be doing so.

it is a glorious day . . . :D

FT

We're toasting you with Bloody Marys:)

Glad you were able to go back to bed. You have to rest up for another busy day!

Hope the seas are calmer and the sun is out. I just love watching the Caribbean islands sliding by. You definitely need to be listening to the cowboy's "Be As You Are."

Questions ... always questions...

Do you think you will get to have another alfresco dinner?

Do you think you will have another concert under the stars?

What is the "Drink of the Day' poolside;)

We're toasting you with Bloody Marys:)

Glad you were able to go back to bed. You have to rest up for another busy day!

Hope the seas are calmer and the sun is out. I just love watching the Caribbean islands sliding by. You definitely need to be listening to the cowboy's "Be As You Are."

Questions ... always questions...

Do you think you will get to have another alfresco dinner?

Do you think you will have another concert under the stars?

What is the "Drink of the Day' poolside;)

You guys do bloody marys on Saturday too? Happy Saturday. Hope you stay warm, its cold here too.

J & L

Archived