Taking a unrelated minor on a cruise

linswi

I will be taking my 15yo sister and her 14yo friend on a cruise later this year. Are there any procedures I need to know about as far as taking a unrelated minor on the cruise, without her parents? I want to make sure there won't be any issues in case of an emergency or just her needing prental consent for anything. Her parents are allowing me to make decisions for her while on the trip.

Thanks for any help!

You will need a notarized letters giving permission from the parents to take them out of the country and giving you permission to make medical decisions.

I would get letters for both of them and make sure this friend has no issues, psychological or medical. There was a poster on here not longer ago who ran into problems. Have a heart to heart with the girls parents before you take responsibility for them.

Hi,

I have done it a few times. I have taken my daughter's best friend on 2 cruises. All you need to do is get a noterized letter from her parents that states you have their consent to make decisions on her behalf during your vacation. On this noterized letter it must contain the name of the ship, sailing dates, etc etc. I always have her parent's add any extra dates that we are gone for extended stays. As long as your name is clearly stated and so is hers you won't have any problems. Oh I would also get one for your sister also. When I took my younger sister who is 23 years younger than me I had our mom do the same thing since the names are different.

Happy sailing!

Thanks. I didn't even think about getting anything for my sister, but that probably is a good idea since we do have different last names.

One other thing about getting a notorized letter.. the friend's parents are divorced.. do I need to get a letter from each parent?

Thanks. I didn't even think about getting anything for my sister, but that probably is a good idea since we do have different last names.

One other thing about getting a notorized letter.. the friend's parents are divorced.. do I need to get a letter from each parent?

I would unless one of the parents is unreachable. Does the friend have a passport? Or will she be traveling with a birth certificate?

If you go to the Cruise Diva website , type in 'Permission Letter' in the search box you will find the forms you need. It includes permission for Emergency Medical Care. If you belong to the AAA they will notarize them for you, that is what I do.

I would unless one of the parents is unreachable. Does the friend have a passport? Or will she be traveling with a birth certificate?

It is no problem to get one from each parent, they share custody. I have also told them that I highly suggest and would prefer that she get her passport before we go. I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered.

Thanks again!

and thanks to emdia43 for the link.. it looks helpful with the wording of the letter

It is no problem to get one from each parent, they share custody. I have also told them that I highly suggest and would prefer that she get her passport before we go. I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered.

Thanks again!

and thanks to emdia43 for the link.. it looks helpful with the wording of the letter

That is good, and all I can say is you are very BRAVE!!!;):D:p

That is good, and all I can say is you are very BRAVE!!!;):D:p

lol we'll see how long that lasts once we are actually on the ship! My sister has already asked me if they have to stay with us or if they can go off by themselves... should I be worried? :D

lol we'll see how long that lasts once we are actually on the ship! My sister has already asked me if they have to stay with us or if they can go off by themselves... should I be worried? :D

A 14 and 15 year old girls, I would chain them to my side. Especially if they are the social types.:rolleyes: Or put them in AO and hopefully they will love it.

I don't think they are very social and they just always do everything together. And believe me.. I have thought about AO alot and definetely plan to get them involved with their programs. Here's hoping AO keeps 'em interested! :)

You will need a notarized letters giving permission from the parents to take them out of the country and giving you permission to make medical decisions.

I would get letters for both of them and make sure this friend has no issues, psychological or medical. There was a poster on here not longer ago who ran into problems. Have a heart to heart with the girls parents before you take responsibility for them.

If there are any psych issues you may want to reconsider taking that friend along. I forget the thread but in one prior case psych issued caused a travel group to be put off the ship away from home...

Also, if there are psych meds, the vacation is not time to take a vacation from the meds, they should be taken just like any other day. If not, you really risk have a terrible cruise and loads of extra stress.

If there are any psych issues you may want to reconsider taking that friend along. I forget the thread but in one prior case psych issued caused a travel group to be put off the ship away from home...

Also, if there are psych meds, the vacation is not time to take a vacation from the meds, they should be taken just like any other day. If not, you really risk have a terrible cruise and loads of extra stress.

I see you remember the thread also.

linswi:

Yes, you need the notarized letter, and the passport, and the medical card.

But don't forget the P R O Z A C and the VALIUM.

(my personal opinion, as someone who teaches that age group? YOU ARE INSANE)

And I mean that in the nicest way. :D

On our Mariner cruise a few years ago, my then 15 year old son brought along his friend. His parents are divorced. RCCL told me he MUST have a notarized letter from both parents etc....

Funny though, they asked for his passport and that was it upon check in.

My husband pushed the letters on them and they said "that's ok, no problem".

Weird. Bring everything you can get, you know the old saying "cover your A**!!! Anyway, have a great trip and have fun shopping with "the girls", that will be a blast for you!!! :D:D

Archived