Alaska vs. Northern Europe? Your feedback needed!

Ta421sBtrHalf

My husband has decided that we are going to take a cold-climate cruise in 2006. I asked him if he wants to go to Alaska or Northern Europe, and he said he doesn't care, just so it is cool weather. I would love to go to Europe, but he is so interested in wildlife I think he would rather to go to Alaska. Is there abundant wildlife to see on a Northern European cruise or should we stick with the Alaskan cruise? Any other pros and cons about each. Thanks for your responses.

IMO...the scenery and wildlife in ALaska is simply amazing and if that is what your husband would like...go to Alaska. Northern Europe is great but more for the history and culture of the area...I think that if you want to choose an area to cruise to for sheer scenic beauty and wildlife...then Alaska would be at the top of my list. And if you choose Alaska...if at all possible...try to add on some kind of land package and go into the the interior of ALaska. We have been to Alaska twice now...at 2 different times of the year and the beauty is a little different for each season...but it is an amazing place for wildlife viewing. On this latest Alaska trip/cruise (we just returned last Friday)...we saw humpback and orca whales right from the cruise ship! Also this is around the end of the salmon spawning season and the streams were loaded with salmon! We were in Anchorage for a few days before boarding our ship...and we rented a car and drove down the Kenai Peninsula down to Seward (a fantastically, beautiful scenic drive!) where we took a wildlife viewing excursion boat (4 hours) and we saw sea lions, otters, puffins, eagles, porpoises etc!

Enjoy!

Go to Alaska! Eveyone needs to experience once in their life just like Hawaii! The weather, scenery, people and wildlife are all fanatstic! Best of all, they all speak English and use the US$ as currency...unlike Northern Europe.

We went on an Alaskan cruise last summer and loved it. But I would also love to go on a cruise to the Norwegian fjords and Iceland--something like HAL's 7/12/05 Prisendam itinerary:

From Copenhagen, the ship sails to Kristansand in Norway and rides the gulfstream current to the Faroe Islands. In Iceland, see how volcanic activity creates hot thermal springs, then take in the scenic beauty of the Hebrides. Visit Belfast and Waterford in Ireland, two cities surrounded by green hills, then explore Falmouth before taking the North Sea Canal to Amsterdam.

Archived