Sovereign--Balcony--Deck 9

PH8

I refuse to give up this mission...:o

I really wish you had asked before Jan. 14th...I would have checked. We had a GS cabin 1038. I checked my pic's and there is something there.

I asked a friend who is very familiar with Sovereign and she said that the original plan when the ship was being fitted with balconies was to put them on deck nine. They did that one cabin and decided it wasn't a good idea with the life boat locations and any views from the balconies would be obstructed. They then put them on deck ten and did indeed leave that one in place.

Now as to whether it is useable she doesn't know....sorry. Can't wait to hear if it is or isn't....

Wish I heard about it before Jan 14th..:) Wow.thats the most info I have gotten so far........

Really funny,I have been on the SS about 15 times and NEVER heard about this cabin till now....

I wonder why no one has talked about it before......or maybe they have and I missed it..:confused:

wont it kinda be sad to find that there is a balcony for this deck 9 cabin only for the sov to be gone from the fleet next fall........................going to be sad anyway but oh well...........there are other ships to try :)

we did the sov last sept and had a blast! sorry to see her go :)

Wish I heard about it before Jan 14th..:) Wow.thats the most info I have gotten so far........

Really funny,I have been on the SS about 15 times and NEVER heard about this cabin till now....

I wonder why no one has talked about it before......or maybe they have and I missed it..:confused:

When I first sailed on the Sovereign, I heard about the mystery cabin on CC, but I never checked it out myself. :(

When I get back on 4-7 you get the full scoop. With video, pictures, crew interviews. I will even knock on the door and ask them to let me see the balcony.

:p:D;)

.....but a cruise ship-related good mystery is almost too wonderful. :p

I have been on the Sovereign as well, but so sadly, this mystery area of the ship is in none of my photographs. It probably isn't even visible from down on the pier.

It was because of that Discovery Channel program about the refurbishment/drydock of the Sovereign that we booked our first cruise on this ship. I think the story about the trial run for balconies on Deck 9 was never mentioned on that program.

And to think--this balcony probably can't be seen well from anywhere except maybe the balconies or pool deck of another big ship tied up in port next to the Sovereign.

I hope this thread doesn't get completely buried. I would love to see some photos taken by intrepid Cruise Detectives, revealing this little-known treasure!

Leslie

We are sailing in 5 weeks in SO cat and i guess we will have a great view of the life boats. However, do the same cabins on deck 8 apply on deck 9 as far as no obstructed view is concerned?

Im not sure......I only stayed on deck 9 once.......

When I get back on 4-7 you get the full scoop. With video, pictures, crew interviews. I will even knock on the door and ask them to let me see the balcony.

:p:D;)

I know you'll be the best roving reporter ever..:D

.....but a cruise ship-related good mystery is almost too wonderful. :p

I have been on the Sovereign as well, but so sadly, this mystery area of the ship is in none of my photographs. It probably isn't even visible from down on the pier.

It was because of that Discovery Channel program about the refurbishment/drydock of the Sovereign that we booked our first cruise on this ship. I think the story about the trial run for balconies on Deck 9 was never mentioned on that program.

And to think--this balcony probably can't be seen well from anywhere except maybe the balconies or pool deck of another big ship tied up in port next to the Sovereign.

I hope this thread doesn't get completely buried. I would love to see some photos taken by intrepid Cruise Detectives, revealing this little-known treasure!

Leslie

Well, help me keep it going.....(if you dont mind:p )

When I first sailed on the Sovereign, I heard about the mystery cabin on CC, but I never checked it out myself. :(

I have it booked for Sept(but will keep it only if it has a balcony).......

I think this cabin is like the Bermuda triangle.......seems anyone who has gone on the SS to check it out for us,has disappeared!!:eek: :eek: :eek:

Here is an interesting photo... if you look on deck 9 you can clearly see a mini balcony above the center of the third lifeboat... Even if it doesnt open, you will still have a nice large glass door, much nicer than a normal window!

Cruise Ship

Oh my goodness, between this and the other thread that you gave the link for, I am SO intrigued.

What we can surmise so far, if I have this correctly, is that there are two (if I may) Category E or D balcony staterooms on the Sovereign of the Seas, on Deck 9, that are being marketed as Category OV. Sovereign of the Seas does not list itself as having any Cat Ds or Es, so these are a crazy, unheard of in the industry, bonuses!

I feel like an archeologist who has discovered something new among our beloved ships! Aside: Isn't this exactly what Cruise Critic message boards is about---getting into the tiny details and relishing them, and then helping others to enjoy and benefit from the knowlege?

Well, I am eagerly awaiting more information and photos from on board~~

Leslie

Archived