Hilton Cavalieri in Rome

Does anyone have any input on this hotel? We're staying a couple of nights pre-cruise. Is it far to the main Rome attractions? What kind of transportation can we take?

Tripadvisor.com has mostly good reviews. Although it does say excellent hotel but a little out of the way. 15 minute drive from the Vatican. Doesn't sound like it's close to the main Rome attractions, and I don't see anything about a shuttle into town.

Sounds like this would be good if you had a car. Hopefully someone that knows the Rome transportation system can help you more with how to get there using local transport.

Hi myda,

If you go to google and type the hotel name - look at the trip advisor reviews to get the info you need. Sounds like a very beautiful hotel high on a hill overlooking Rome! They have a shuttle (hopefully from the airport - so I'd inquire) and people say a few minutes' cab ride.

Dorothy

Does anyone have any input on this hotel? We're staying a couple of nights pre-cruise. Is it far to the main Rome attractions? What kind of transportation can we take?

It is a 5 star resort type hotel and it is not city center,but you can take a cab or really you can walk if you wanted to(about a 20/30 minute walk depending), and cab back, to the sights depending on where you wanted to start your sightseeing.The hotel may have a shuttle,but I would not count on it.It has pretty grounds,and I am sure you will be pleased.

I stayed there in Sept 2006 for 3 nights pre-cruise. The reviews are correct in saying that the hotel is not walking distance to anything but we had a driver most of the time and the location wasn't a problem for us. The hotel and the rooms are beautiful but really could have been in any other city around the world (nothing particularly Italian). I found the service to be very cold, no one went out of their way to do anything extra.

Last year when we were in Rome I decided to try something a little bit different and took a small hotel in Trastavere that wasn't nearly as glamorous as the the Hilton but had much more charm.

Overall if you can get a good rate or use points I think that the Hilton is a fine hotel.

Overall if you can get a good rate or use points I think that the Hilton is a fine hotel.

Thanks for the info. My generous boss has given me her points to use for this hotel otherwise we wouldn't have considered it. We're staying two nights pre-cruise. I figure the money we're saving on the hotel we can use on taxis to the city center. We basically use the hotel to shower and sleep since we love to be out exploring.

It is a fantastic property, and if you have access to HHonors points, use them! If you can get your room booked using your boss's Hilton Gold acct, you may get access to the lounge on the 7th floor which gives you free breakfast, lite happy hour and great food and drinks, so we managed to leave in the morning "full of food". I have heard it is only for plat members, but I got in using Gold status. The status also gets you access to the pool for free (Yes you pay to use it).

Not to give you pre trip price anxiety, but my wife ordered a Gellato at the poolside, which was very nice, but priced at $12 euro. you can do the math!

The views of Rome and the Vatican are outstanding. I agree service was not overwelmingly warm.

We are staying at this hotel for one night using points before our cruise on Carnival's Freedom leaving out of Rome on June 3. I have read reviews on Trip Advisor and have been told they do have a free shuttle bus which takes you into town to the Piazza Barberini. I was told it leaves every 20-30 minutes but to get anywhere else you need a cab. I was also quoted a rate of $70.00 for them to drive you from the airport to the hotel. There are many other transfer companies that charge less. I did have a difficult time contacting them directly on line. I could not get through by email or fax which is disheartening and frustrating. That is why we decided to book our airport to hotel transfer with romeshuttle.Looking forward to staying there because of the views overlooking the city and the beautiful photos on line.

Enjoy!

We are staying at this hotel for one night using points before our cruise on Carnival's Freedom leaving out of Rome on June 3.

I'll look forward to reading any reviews you may post after your trip in June. Our trip isn't til October so my wait is so much longer than yours!

Hi All,

My husband and I stayed at the Cavaleri for five (5) nights last May post TA on the Grand Princess. We were lucky enough to be on the 7th floor (as mentioned by a previous poster) which is the club floor. (They have food and drink almost 24 hours a day) There is a shuttle to the bottom on Via Veneto where you can easily walk to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain or get on the metro for sights further a field. We loved sitting on the terrace and watching the city and the Vatican in particular. When we went down into the "Center" for dinner we discovered that by taking the Metro to the Vatican the taxis back were much cheaper. The shuttle does not run into the late night.

It is a wonderful hotel and I did use the "Spa", perhaps the best pedicure ever.

I don't agree with the other posters with respect to "service, being cool or cold",I found all the service five star and beyond. We had a rather difficult situation and they solved it. I will try to post the link from our Roll Call where I described how they went above and beyond.

You will have a great stay.

Regards,

Shannon

Hi All,

This is what I posted on our Roll Call about what I thought was an amazing effort by all the staff involved.

Hi All Ramblin Romers!

What a great group. Mav is the hero of the lost luggage story. Imagine, you have just gotten off the bus, very concerned about recognizing the baggage of two people you met on the ship who are getting off "Hal's" bus at the airport, because they are traveling for three days before showing up at the Cavilieri Hilton. They want you to put their bags in storage until their arrival. You on the otherhand have six bags. Two of which never leave your sight, in fact one which contains two computers, 2 cell phones and all you bridge instructing materials is attached to your body, EXCEPT for this bus ride, so you get off the bus and get your usual 4 (checked) bags, and then begin looking for Tammy's and Carlotta's 4 bags. Because your black TravelPro is a part of your body you don't even think about it. You very efficiently get the friends bags stored with the conceige and proceed to your wonderful room on the Club Floor, food and drink 24/7, thank God (given the rate of the Euro). You stroll to the room and when your DH says he doesn't see the black suitcase you say, "Don't be silly, it's right there, pointing to the huge TravelPro, you always find on the turn-table." "Not that one, the one you roll up and down the halls of the ship with our computers every day, the one we put in overhead, on the planes?" "Oh my God, I gasp!!!!" "I don't think I got it off the bus. I was so focused on Tammy and C's bags, and so used to our bag being a part of my body that I didn't think to look for it or ask for it, it is always attached to my right arm. So of course it isn't locked, either."

Next I go the the conceige and say, "I have a very serious problem, I left a very important bag on the bus we took from the Grand Princess to the Hotel. I don't know the name of the bus company, I don't know the name of the driver, I only know the first name of the person who arranged the bus, but we have to find this bag. It has our two computers in it, and our lives are on those computers." You can imagine, he looked at me in utter disbelief, but got on the phone. I remembered that Hal worked for Air Canada, and that his flight might be delayed, it was overbooked. So I set the conceige upon that path, in the meantime, Jay was on the internet trying to find Hal's last name on CC and in our email files. I remembered that we were on the Ship's Manifest, according to Hal, so the Ship's agent might know the name of the bus company, as we had our own color and number. Another problem, all the Patters, I saved are in the TravelPro. Thats when I hit upon the idea of contacting the other Grand passengers at the Hotel. The conceige remembers their names, and begins calling, Mav remembers the name of the bus company. The conceige calls them immediately, and he speakes with the secretary of the owner who is very helpful. She explains that there are five ships in port so all their buses are back and forth all day, she asks for a discription of the driver and says at the end of the day she will talk to them all and call us back. While I am discussing this situation with another member of the conceige team, the phone rings and one conceige raises his arms and mouths "They have the bag!" We all cheer, I go to the Club Room, pour two glasses of champange and call my DH asking him to join me. When he arrives, I pass him a glass of champange and say, "They have the bag."

I then race to the room and write notes to the conceige team, and the bus driver and enclose money. The bag is delivered within 20 minutes. Can you believe it. It is a great travel story. Mav made all the difference, Hal got back to us immediately with the name of the bus company and phone #, but by then it was all solved.

Terryh, sorry you have been under the weather,Nancy and Bill, sorry for your lose and hope you are coping. I don't think we actually met, but I know from your pictures, I saw you on board.

Mav thanks so much, enjoy your friends and diving.

Regards to All,

Shannon

Hi All,

You and me both, it was a true miracle. They worked so hard for us and in one way I couldn't believe it was found and on the other I had total confidence it would be found.

It was amazing though.

Regards.

Shannon

We loved our stay at the Cavalieri last Sept. Just one night post cruise but we arrived at 11:00am and arranged to check-out 3:00pm the next day (stayed at Hilton Airport night before flight). Used our points and paid an additional $120E to upgrade to Executive Club. Worth every point and every penny. We had already toured Rome for 4 days pre-cruise so we just enjoyed the hotel - ate and drank on the terrace of the Executive Club Lounge - used the spa and pool deck and strolled to a nearby piazza. A fabulous ending to a great cruise. I will load some pics of the hotel to our Webshots account - link below.

Kathy:)

For those of you that used Hilton points in Rome, how far ahead did you book?

I booked in March for an August stay. I would book as soon as you are are final, as once the block of rooms alloted to HHonors are gone, they are gone. Other than the airport there aren't many other Hilton properties.

Good Luck

• 1 month later...

We also used our points for this lovely hotel. They do provide an hourly shuttle into and out of town. However, I would not recommend it for anything but a several day stay. The shuttle gets over-booked, it is a long way in and out by cab and a couple of trips a day gets to be quite expensive.

• 5 weeks later...

Just received an email from Hilton Hotels; the Cavalieri Hilton is now part of their Waldorf-Astoria Collection of Properties. This will undoubtedly affect the Rewards requirements. On the Hilton Website you cannot access the property for booking with points you must call them.

We were fortunate to stay at the Cavalieri last Sept. using points; it was over the top beautiful.

Just received an email from Hilton Hotels; the Cavalieri Hilton is now part of their Waldorf-Astoria Collection of Properties. This will undoubtedly affect the Rewards requirements. On the Hilton Website you cannot access the property for booking with points you must call them.

We were fortunate to stay at the Cavalieri last Sept. using points; it was over the top beautiful.

Kathy,

I am able to book a rewards stay with my rewards points. It is a Cat 6 now (I thought it was always).

I was thinking about this Hotel after we get back from our 12 day Europe cruise but then getting around in the city and then back to the airport seemed like a hassle. So Im booking a rewards stay at the Hilton near the airport and walking to the airport terminal... I can sleep in!

anyway... rewards stays are still available they are 40K per night.

March 07 we stayed one night pre cruise at the Hotel Park dei Massimi, which I think is in the same area, very close to the Hilton. It was a great hotel with a wonderful breakfast and we only paid $101. Of course, if I had Hilton points, we would have chosen that.

The day of our cruise we had a guided tour of the Vatican scheduled, so the hotel shuttle took us in to the Vatican and after our tour, we took the bus back. It was definitely not close enough to walk and it was uphill, so that wasn't an option.

Archived