What currency to tip on European Cruise

VoyageVirgin

Interesting question and I hope others give their opinions.

I am assuming you are talking the tip above the auto. Since I don't think a huge number of people do that, it would be nice for the crew to have some spending money in Euros for the port stops.

On the other hand, if they do get a lot of non-auto tips and "bank" it or send it home, I think since the Euro is much stronger than the dollar, that would be good for the crew as well.

So my opinion would be to go with Euros.

This will be our first cruise (TA) to Europe - I'm wondering if we should tip with US dollars or Euros. The Jade will be remaining in Europe for the summer so do you think the crew will appreciate the Euros more so than the US $ ??

Thanks

M

It seems to me that you should tip in the currency that the ship is using for that cruise. They are used to dealing with appropriate currency exchanges.

This will be our first cruise (TA) to Europe - I'm wondering if we should tip with US dollars or Euros. The Jade will be remaining in Europe for the summer so do you think the crew will appreciate the Euros more so than the US $ ??

Thanks

M

Not sure it will matter that much $,£,eur and I am sure they can exchange at spot rates with each other anyway.

Just remember that the smallest notes are £5($9.70) and 5eur($7.30) so for the smaller tips room service or a tip at a speciality you are going to need coins if you normaly tip with $1 or $5 bills.

For the bigger, end of cruise tips on top of the auto it's a good way to get rid of the currency you no longer want having changed more than enough so you don't run out of local money ashore, if not a lot left then a $topup.

The Jade should still be $ onboard while in europe, RCI tried to use £ one year and screwed up big time.

Interesting question and I hope others give their opinions.

I am assuming you are talking the tip above the auto. Since I don't think a huge number of people do that, it would be nice for the crew to have some spending money in Euros for the port stops.

On the other hand, if they do get a lot of non-auto tips and "bank" it or send it home, I think since the Euro is much stronger than the dollar, that would be good for the crew as well.

So my opinion would be to go with Euros.

Thanks to all of you for your replies

The tipping is for the "End of Trip Tip" Room Stewards, Consierge etc.

We will be doing the "Tour" after we arrive in Barcelona so I'm not trying to rid myself of the Euros just then. I know the crew can head to the bank - and have the ship exchange currency - I was trying to make it a little easier for them (as they do for all of us) well mostly. :)

Maybe a combination of US plus Euros? I'm fairly certain they won't want my Canadian cash -

M

We will be doing the "Tour" after we arrive in Barcelona so I'm not trying to rid myself of the Euros just then. I know the crew can head to the bank - and have the ship exchange currency - I was trying to make it a little easier for them (as they do for all of us) well mostly. :)

Maybe a combination of US plus Euros? I'm fairly certain they won't want my Canadian cash -

M

Without meaning to start another war, don't forget that the service charge has replaced traditional tipping and unless you want to add to the mandatory assessment there is no need to leave an additional gratuity.

Without meaning to start another war, don't forget that the service charge has replaced traditional tipping and unless you want to add to the mandatory assessment there is no need to leave an additional gratuity.

The service charge does not cover consierge service and kids crew members. I used US$ when I did the TA cruise.

M

Don't rule out giving them Canadian cash, if the ship you are on will be cruising to the Canadian market in the fall. We did this before and the cabin stewards thanked us for giving them Canadian (we asked them if they preferred Euros or Canadian dollars) -- saved them having to exchange it and they put it await to shop while ashore in Canada.

Like others have pointed out, if they change their mind -- they can always get it exchanged with other cruise members or the ship itself. On the cruise we were on, there were at least 5 crew members who were Canadian.

Besides, the Canadian dollar is strong these days and may get even stronger later this year -- since Canada is still running a surplus while the US will be in ever bigger deficits at least through 2008.

I know this is a topic that is beaten to death however I am needing some clarification...

It seems there is a $10.00 per day per person automatic charge which is considered a service charge.

Is is also expected to tip service persons above and beyond this amount. If so that would be another 12.50/day/person if you consider what other line recommend.

Can anyone help me out with this?

I know this is a topic that is beaten to death however I am needing some clarification...

It seems there is a $10.00 per day per person automatic charge which is considered a service charge.

Is is also expected to tip service persons above and beyond this amount. If so that would be another 12.50/day/person if you consider what other line recommend.

If my math is correct that is an additonal 45.00/day for my DH and myself times 12 for a grand total of $550.00! Seems a little steep to me. Trust me I am generous when it comes to tipping,

If my math is correct that is an additonal 45.00/day for my DH and myself times 12 for a grand total of $550.00! Seems a little steep to me. Trust me I am generous when it comes to tipping,

The $10 per day service charge IS the tip. If you would like to tip more, you are welcome to do so.

Crew will accept Euro if in Europe at the time or American $$. Tipping in Euro the last week of the ships time in Europe would however be a pain for them to use or exchange.

You are correct - the topic of whether to tip or not is one I try to stay away from. Some do, some don't - it is not mandatory at all (other than the $10.00 pppd - which is now the "service charge" as stated - Room stewards are not included in that tipping/service charge pool (if I remember correctly) Certainly butlers & consierge are not - so we will tip in different degrees for good service. Last trip room stewards were very difficult - hence lower tip - butler - fantastic - bigger tip, consierge extremely helpful - bigger tip - It all comes down to what you feel comfortable with - you wouldn't tip at McDonalds - but you would at an upscale restaurant. Would you tip a porter for carrying your bag? Most will some won't - but your room steward is the one lugging yours upstairs to your room. This of course is only my personal opinion, and I really cannot remember what the norm is. Extremely good waiters - yup tip again. :D

Which reminds me - I better get some small US bills for the porters at the dock. Yup $1-$2 per bag thank you m'am.

M

Archived