All things Independence of the Seas

Do not be put off with all the story's off pickpockets and bathrooms stops :confused:

As a regular traveller to Europe and the US I find the States more frightening than Europe :eek:

Would you walk around New York or downtown Miami looking like a tourist ? where in downtown Chicago can you pee ?

Street people are everywhere just always have your wits about you even though you might seem rude just say no when aproached.

Look at your home city and think would I be a safe tourist here and I bet you have the same problems knife/drug/and gun crime.

Moral here is keep your valuables in the safe if you cant afford to lose it dont take it with you.

Apologies if this has already been answered..... trying not to stress my b/f out too much.... I'm assuming that on formal nights in main restaurants we can eat elsewhere if one doesn't want to dress up... on non formal nights I read somewhere that there are people still wearing tuxedos.... is he likely to feel out of place if he wears his smart casual gear at that time? I also read somewhere about the possibility of renting tuxedos from the ship? There's so much to read.... Would be glad of your patience and response.... thanks xxxx :confused:

Apologies if this has already been answered..... trying not to stress my b/f out too much.... I'm assuming that on formal nights in main restaurants we can eat elsewhere if one doesn't want to dress up... on non formal nights I read somewhere that there are people still wearing tuxedos.... is he likely to feel out of place if he wears his smart casual gear at that time? I also read somewhere about the possibility of renting tuxedos from the ship? There's so much to read.... Would be glad of your patience and response.... thanks xxxx :confused:

You are absolutely right. Smart Casual is perfectly acceptable in the Specialty restaurants (any night is smart casual) and in the Windjammer on formal nights. Do not be too intimidated by tuxedos..... the ratio of men where tuxes these days has dropped. My DH wears a tux but he figures less than 35% of the men wear tuxes on Formal nights. Yes, tuxes are for rent; information is available on RCI's website.

Don't stress about. Just look forward to having a good time on your cruise. Have a look at some pictures to see what people are wearing on formals nights and you will feel much better. Photos from our cruises in the link below.

Kathy:) :)

You are absolutely right. Smart Casual is perfectly acceptable in the Specialty restaurants (any night is smart casual) and in the Windjammer on formal nights. Do not be too intimidated by tuxedos..... the ratio of men where tuxes these days has dropped. My DH wears a tux but he figures less than 35% of the men wear tuxes on Formal nights. Yes, tuxes are for rent; information is available on RCI's website.

Don't stress about. Just look forward to having a good time on your cruise. Have a look at some pictures to see what people are wearing on formals nights and you will feel much better. Photos from our cruises in the link below.

Kathy:) :)

Actually, the percentage of men in tuxes or kilts for fromal nights was quite high on our June 14th cruise. We were very pleasantly surprised with the dress on formal nights. This was one RCI cruise where someone not dressed formally on formal night could have felt a little out of place. Kids seemed to follow the dress code on formal night as well.

You can rent tuxes on board Indy.

We did not see many men in tuxes on non-formal nights, but there were definitely stilll lots of men in suits and women in cocktail dresses every night. Saw very few pairs of jeans in the dining room.

We are going on our Independence cruise this week. My husband tried to rent a tux for our son and an extra shirt for himself (he owns his own tux) and we were unable to. Cruiseline formalwear called us (after my husband placed an on-line order) and said that they do not service Independence of the Seas. Maybe because we are U.S. passengers and the ship departs from Southampton? Our booklet says they do service the ship, but maybe that is only for Caribbean cruises. We just went to the tux shop and rented one, I wasn't aware you could rent once you were onboard.

Actually, the percentage of men in tuxes or kilts for fromal nights was quite high on our June 14th cruise. We were very pleasantly surprised with the dress on formal nights. This was one RCI cruise where someone not dressed formally on formal night could have felt a little out of place. Kids seemed to follow the dress code on formal night as well.

You can rent tuxes on board Indy.

We did not see many men in tuxes on non-formal nights, but there were definitely stilll lots of men in suits and women in cocktail dresses every night. Saw very few pairs of jeans in the dining room.

Nice to hear!

Kathy

Sorry Jenn

I am a Kilt guy and always carry

Hi George, Franca here. How was your cruise on the Independence? We are going on Feb 7, 2009 and can't wait.....

Just got an e-mail from Mrs. Remo,( she is not a crew memberf, but she travels on the Indy, because of her husband and we know her from the Brilliance) and she is waiting to see us on Feb. 2009, so I did tell Bill that maybe he should bring his tuxedo, just in case.

Nice talking with you, and I can see that we will not be cruising with you in the near future, but maybe some day we will,

Franca

"My Time Dining" option will be offered on the Independence as from 26th July until Dec 27th 08

"My Time Dining" is being requested more and more these days hence RCCL's decision to offer it on the Independence :)

My Time DiningSM** in our Main Dining Room on -

Brilliance of the Seas

February 22 - December 21, 2008

Freedom of the Seas

October 15, 2007 - December 28, 2008

Serenade of the Seas

March 8 - December 27, 2008

Jewel of the Seas

June 16, 2008 - December 29, 2008

Radiance of the Seas

June 20, 2008 - December 20, 2008

Independence of the Seas

July 26, 2008 - December 27, 2008

Thanks Elizanessie, where did you get this information from?

As you can see from my countdown I am very interested in this !

My time dining would suit us lots better............

Thanks Liz- now we need to co-ordinate our group as we have booked through three different TAs- I wonder if it would be offered at check-in since we are so close to sailing?

Argh.. just read the link !! Thanks

I have not prepaid my gratuities and don't really want to start now, so guess will be staying with 2nd sitting.

If I change my mind once on board will it be possible to then swap do you think?

Cheers Liz - thanks for the info.

DH is on the shortie Cork (without me) and he has already called RCI and swapped over to MyTime!

To Foodie -when we were on the Brilliance they had a set up in the dining room on the first day and a large queue of people wanting to sign up - so yet it is possible.

Hi Liz

Thanks for the update on the 'My Time Dining'.

I know this may sound dense, but can I just clarify :

If we have already booked the late dinner slot, will this be honoured and we will sit at a designated table at that time each evening? i.e. as it was pre-MTD?

or

If we choose MTD can we turn up at a non-specific time, where we will be seated anywhere where there is a table free?

or

are reservations encouraged for MTD and should to be booked once or board (or via the website?)

and

can we pick and choose either option to suit us?

and............

Sorry for the questions and I did read the link honest:D

Kind regards

Lisa

"My Time Dining" option will be offered on the Independence as from 26th July until Dec 27th 08

"My Time Dining" is being requested more and more these days hence RCCL's decision to offer it on the Independence :)

Interesting! We will be on the Christmas cruise, but I'm not sure whether we'll do MTD, esp. since there will be 8 of us. I don't fully understand how MTD works, but it seems like it would just be easier to have a set dinner time than trying to come up with the best time for 8 of us to eat on a daily basis.