Will Regent be in Alaska this summer??

Host Dan

I just received a press release from Silversea Cruises that the Silver Shadow wil be the only ultra-luxury cruise ship in Alaska this summer. I thought Regent is in Alaska this summer as well. Has something changed? (or has Silversea decided that Regent isn't considered ultra-luxury) :confused:

Host Dan

It all sounds like marketing hype to me. 5 Stars vs. 6 Stars...Luxury vs. Ultra-Luxury...at what point does it simply become subjective and frankly somewhat silly? I am reminded of the story of the Three Bears...this ship is not luxurious enough...this ship is too luxurious...and this ship is just right! :-) We happen to really like Regent and find that it is just right on the luxury scale, but I feel fairly certain that others have a lesser opinion.

To answer your question, we are booked on the May 27 voyage on Mariner so yes Regent will be in Alaska this summer. We are booked in one of the Master Suites, so we are hoping that it meets the luxury test! :)

I agree it is a marketing ploy by Silversea. The easiest way (hopefully) to eliminate competition is by ignoring it.

I cruised Alaska on Mariner a couple of years ago. If I didn't have children and Seabourn or Silversea were cruising there I probably would have gone with one of them. However Mariner was a good fit for me at the time.

There is also something to be said about having too much formality. While I can see dressing up after a day at the beach, there is something about being so in touch with nature and then sort of ignoring it with formality in the evening. For me, Mariner has it "just right".

We have had a much better experience on the Regent. We were on the Silver Shadow(silverSea), Panama Canal trip late November and it was one mishap after another - far from ultra luxury. The highlight of the trip was supposed to be the Canal passage. Unfortunately we did not see the best part since we left Gatun Lake heading toward the Pacific at 7:00 PM - so virtually the entire last portion was in the dark!

Don't get that at all -- Regent is consistantly rated higher than Silversea (Conde' Nast, etc.) While I would never put down another cruise line, advertising "ultra luxury" is a bit over the top. It would not be surprising if Silversea and Regent's new ships are ultra luxury. For now, we are looking forward to our luxury cruise to Alaska in May (on Regent of course):)

I love those polls! Conde Nast Travelers 2008 Gold List was just announced. Celebrity, Holland American, Grand Circle, Lindblad Expeditions, and others were above Regent...which was above Seabourn, Seadream and Silversea.

The polls are absolutely worthless and I would hope no one would ever use such a poll as even a marginal measure of a cruise lines (or ship's) worth. Otherwise: Watch out Regent (No. 8), Celebrity is No. 2!;)

I love those polls! Conde Nast Travelers 2008 Gold List was just announced. Celebrity, Holland American, Grand Circle, Lindblad Expeditions, and others were above Regent...which was above Seabourn, Seadream and Silversea.

The polls are absolutely worthless and I would hope no one would ever use such a poll as even a marginal measure of a cruise lines (or ship's) worth. Otherwise: Watch out Regent (No. 8), Celebrity is No. 2!;)

It is a choice to believe polls (or not) -- just as it a choice to believe what is written on these boards. . . Having said that, when a consistent theme is repeated by different sources, it is worth paying attention to. Generally Celebrity and Holland America are not in the same poll (size of the ships) as Regent, Seadream, Silversea or Seabourn ).

Crystal has consistantly won customer polls over Regent, Seadream, Silversea and Seabourn (although Regent won one poll by 1/10 of a point). Many "luxury" cruise line customers would cruise on Crystal in a minute -- if they were all-inclusive, did not have assigned seating, the ships were smaller and the cabins larger. I rarely hear a complaint about Crystal's service or food.

Calling polls "worthless" is harsh. . intelligent people are capable of reading information and drawing their own conclusions.

In an attempt to get back on subject, the Mariner's cruises in Alaska are almost always full, they provide great service and excellent cuisine. . . and, they received 100% on the last two health/cleaniness inspections (almost unprecedented -- not a rating that any other cruise ship listed here obtained). .

I tend to agree with Iamboatman regarding these popularity polls. They are very different than polls that are conducted based on sound research principles, which tend to be fairly accurate. However, polls such as the Conde Nast poll are open to anyone, allow voting multiple times, and are not structured in the same manner as a poll that drives down into the data to get a statistically accurate reflection of the question. For example, I could go on to one of these polls and offer opinions on several cruise lines and may have never even been on a ship. Conversely, if I really like a particular line (I am partial to Regent by the way because the environment is a little more relaxed without sacrificing luxury elements that are important to me), I am able to complete the poll numerous times thereby weighting the results in favor of my favorite. This methodology is anything but statistically accurate. Yes travelcat2, we should all read everything with a bit of scepticism. I choose to not base my personal self-worth on whether or not my favorite cruise line is everyone else's favorite, too. As my dad used to say, "That is why Baskin-Robbins carries 31 flavors...not everyone wants vanilla!" :)

I don't think my comment is "harsh" unless it simply "harsh reality".

Celebrity ships (and I like Celebrity alot) are not 1,2,3,4 and 8 in the world's top cruise ships. Holland America is one of my biggest sources of complaints and I cannot imagine it being mentioned in the same sentence as Regent, but it polled significantly higher.

Yes, people are intelligent, but complete information allows everyone to use that intelligence.;)

I don't think my comment is "harsh" unless it simply "harsh reality".

Celebrity ships (and I like Celebrity alot) are not 1,2,3,4 and 8 in the world's top cruise ships. Holland America is one of my biggest sources of complaints and I cannot imagine it being mentioned in the same sentence as Regent, but it polled significantly higher.

Yes, people are intelligent, but complete information allows everyone to use that intelligence.;)

Do you mean Crystal? Strange response -- did anyone mention Celebrity??? The most complaints I had read are definitely NCCL. I agree that likes and dislikes are subjective. However, if I were a "newbie", I would read polls as well as reviews on sites such as this one. This is a great starting point (particularly if there aren't TA's bashing Conde Nast).

Polls do have one problem -- difficulty in comparing mainstream cruise lines like "Celebrity" with luxury cruise lines such as Regent, Silversea, Crystal or Seabourn (this is baffling -- was not aware they did that this --- am interested as to which poll you are referring to) This would be like attempting to compare a comedian with a lesser rated dramatic actor. . . comparisons are difficult if not impossible. On the other hand, comparing apples to apples (Silversea vs. Regent vs. SeaDream Yachts vs. Crystal or Seabourn -- that's a horse of a different color (easier to compare!)

People visiting CruiseCritic are given many opinions -- are polls really that different? Someone can vote numerous times for a particular cruise line on a poll. On the other hand, some repeatedly post negative reviews. . . . I consider the source in both cases.

I have read nothing to change my opinion of luxury crusing -- any of the luxury ships would meet or exceed the expectations of all but the pickiest of cruisers.

Eric,

I'm looking at the 2008 Gold List and the only reason that Celebrity, Holland America, Grand Circle and Lindblad are listed above Regent is that the list is arranged alphabetically. If you look at the total score assigned to each cruise line, you'll see that Crystal has a score of 94.1 and Regent has a score of 88.6, while Celebrity, Holland America, Grand Circle and Lindblad have respective scores of 80.2, 78.9, 87.6 and 82.1.

Dave

Eric,

I'm looking at the 2008 Gold List and the only reason that Celebrity, Holland America, Grand Circle and Lindblad are listed above Regent is that the list is arranged alphabetically. If you look at the total score assigned to each cruise line, you'll see that Crystal has a score of 94.1 and Regent has a score of 88.6, while Celebrity, Holland America, Grand Circle and Lindblad have respective scores of 80.2, 78.9, 87.6 and 82.1.

Dave

Thanks for clearing that up. . . the scores you've quoted make a lot more sense.:)

You are referencing another - of the all to many - polls.

Try the Conde' Nast Traveler magazine's annual "Top Cruise Ships in the World" readers' poll...and then compile the numbers...whichever way whatever line, person or company wants to manipulate them.

I'm kinda done with this topic as IMHO further discussion about who or what might make something of "information" that I personally think is worthless is, IMHO, just that.;)

You are referencing another - of the all to many - polls.

Try the Conde' Nast Traveler magazine's annual "Top Cruise Ships in the World" readers' poll...and then compile the numbers...whichever way whatever line, person or company wants to manipulate them.

I'm kinda done with this topic as IMHO further discussion about who or what might make something of "information" that I personally think is worthless is, IMHO, just that.;)

I referred to the Gold List because that is what you referred to in your earlier message. Are you saying your reference to the 2008 Gold List was in error?

Archived