Any Upgrades planned for Navigator?

caviargal

We are looking at Navigator for next year in the Caribbean as it appears to be the only Regent ship offering a 7 day itinerary when we can travel (November).

Just curious as to whether there are any plans to update the gym (looks pretty basic) or add any new features to the ship. Wish we had the option of Voyager for this sailing for the extra dining options but Navigator is it.

Any info would be appreciated.:)

We're just off the New Year's cruise on Navigator. We liked this ship so much that we booked another for March 2009. The gym is very small with only 5 treadmills, 3 eliptical machines, 2 bikes and some weights. I managed to make it 10 of 11 days. They limit you to 30 minutes on the cardio machines. Now I understand why they do that during busy times it it was irritating to me that the folks waiting for the machines were hopping on them for 5 minutes with loafers and other inappropriate footwear. After the first day I, I went in the late afternoon rather than first thing in the morning and there was no one there. Other than that one little thing - Navigator is wonderful - the walk in closets, the bathroom, balcony's. As I'm sure you know, Navigator has Portafino's (a must, IMO) and Compass Rose; it would be nice to have a third dining option. One of my favorite things about this trip was that everyone looked so nice in the evenings - even on casual nights, most men wore sports jackets and the women cocktail dresses. Of course, I heard a lot of complaining on this trip but some people always find something to complain about, frankly I really couldn't find anything.

Funny isn't it, about the complainers. Same thing happened to us on Voyager last month. Just can't understand it.

Question about the cardio machines--what's wrong with inappropriate footwear, as long as they don't actually hurt the equipment? Good for you for making it almost every day--I always have good intentions on a cruise, but I always veg out.

Question about the cardio machines--what's wrong with inappropriate footwear, as long as they don't actually hurt the equipment?

It's not just the equipment that can get hurt though I have seen flip flops get jammed in belts when people who have no concept of basic gym safety hop on a treadmill while wearing them. It is asking for trouble, IMO.

As a certified personal trainer, I will tell you that there are several things wrong with improper footwear. I have seen people in sandals and flip flops get their shoes stuck in moving parts of treadmills and get hurt. They can slip off these types of shoes when getting on and off equipment. When they are using weights and drop them on their feet, injuries can result.

Improper footwear can cause accidents and is a safety hazard which is why most real gyms will not let people work out that are not wearing proper shoes.

From the wearer's perspective, incorrect footwear does not provide adequate support for athletic pursuits.

Enjoyed comments regarding the Navigator (and Voyager) -- such lovely ships! Yes, we do get our share of complainers on these boards. . . . I found the footwear comments of particular interest. I do work out at the gym regularly (wearing correct footwear), however, it drives me crazy to pack my Nike's in a suitcase (airline weight issues) -- whether it be on a cruise or a "land" vacation. (hmmm, this could be considered a complaint -- sorry).

I understand the treadmill issue -- however, with weight training, even proper footwear will not help if a weight is dropped on a toe (been there -- done that -- two broken toes). Just wanted to comment on this issue -- perhaps because I'm too lazy to pack my shoes and hate to work out on a ship. . . .

Anyway, just reading about the Navigator makes me very impatient for our next cruise!

Archived