Ginger for motion sickness ???

browneyedpete

So does ginger come in the form of a pill or liquid ? My daughter gets motion sikness and we have a cabin thats the very first one on the front end of the ship. I have heard that thats the worst place for motoin. I sure dont want any of us sick are entire vacation. :eek:

The ginger pills worked great for me!

I started taking them 3 days before we left and kept up with taking them during the cruise.

I was able to take fewer pills about halfway through the cruise. I was getting used to the motion and the sea's were alot better than the first sea day we had.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

I'd also take along some Bonine just in case. OR get a patch from your doctor. Just make sure your daughter daughter takes the Bonine BEFORE she actually begins to feel nauseous or they don't work.

Very few people actually get sea sick unless it is an unusually windy day causing huge swells. Your room location is not the best choice, for sure.

I've taken Bonine or Dramamine after I started feeling nauseated and gotten some relief.

I won't repeat everything I posted earlier. Here's a link to a thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=698687

Forward is not where I'd want to be.

Try to convince her that she will NOT be seasick if she takes the ginger/bonine. I honestly think that being susceptible to motion sickness and worrying about whether you're going to get sick doesn't help.

When you first set sail, try to stay outside and look at the horizon. No sitting in the cabin reading. Trying to focus on close items makes things worse.

Get some sea bands, too. The link above contains a link to a great article showing exactly where the P6 pressure point is. If placed correctly, the bands may provide a lot of relief, too. They aren't very stylish, but neither is puking!

Ginger did not work for me but I do get motion sickness just riding in the back seat of a car.

Please be sure she takes the Ginger a couple of weeks before you go to find out if her stomach can tolerate it. It made me feel sick about 30 minutes after I took it. I do take Bonine and you can also ask you DR. for something for an upset stomach. I take a prescribed med. and I also take Bonine. Thus far I have gotten icky feeling on the first night and when the water is rough.

I also never sit by a window for lunch or dinner that always seems to get to me for some reason. What ever meds. your daughter decides to take start them 2 days before you leave so that they are in her system. If you wait until she is sick it will be very difficult to get rid of that feeling. :eek: I feel for her I know what it feels like.

The BEST remedy for sea sickness (and I recommend this to all my clients) is to use the PATCH behind the ear, you can get it from your doctor. You put it on 3 hours BEFORE sailing and you should be fine. I have sent lots of people on cruises that did very well with it.

So does ginger come in the form of a pill or liquid ? My daughter gets motion sikness and we have a cabin thats the very first one on the front end of the ship. I have heard that thats the worst place for motoin. I sure dont want any of us sick are entire vacation. :eek:

Good ole Wallyworld-Walmart has them in capsule form-$4.99 for a bottle of 100. I take 2 a day and yes it works-I have used bonnine also-but I was in the middle of the north Atlantic-and EVERYONE on ship could not walk straight-so it was much worse then the usual cruise. Normally though, the ginger works well for me-and I am one who gets car sick easily-so I have motion sickness pretty severe. The ginger works like a charm! If the seas are extra rough-just add the bonnine-as it is non drowsy-unlike dramanine-which will make your daughter sleep the cruise away.

Just start your daughter on the ginger about a week prior to the cruise-so it is in her system well.

The BEST remedy for sea sickness (and I recommend this to all my clients) is to use the PATCH behind the ear, you can get it from your doctor. You put it on 3 hours BEFORE sailing and you should be fine. I have sent lots of people on cruises that did very well with it.

My friend got that from the doc-and she was still barfing her guts out on Celebrity zenith on our cruise in Feb. 06- bad winter storm-and she does not normally have motionsickness like me-I was fine. (this was nothing compared to the transatlantic-when I added the bonnine!)

I like ginger so well that I take it all the time-I can actually read in a moving car now (not when I am driving- LOL! ) which is something I could never do without turning green-my hubby would have me reading the map on a trip to help him out and I couldn't with out feeling sick.

Ofoucrse I no longer read maps on car trips-Garmin takes care of that! but I can read my novel thanks to ginger!

Ginger is so safe that many doctors recommend it to pregnant women with morning sickness.

They don't work for all people. On my first cruise my DH and friends of ours kept telling me it's all in my head and just don't think about it...:rolleyes:

So I went unprepaired WOW what a huge mistake.

We had 2 DR.'s at our table and tehy were so kind to give me a couple of patches. I put one on and the sick feeling in my stomach left but my vision was blurry, I could not remember anything this making me crabby. I decided to visit the ships DR. and he had me take the patch off and told me he never recommends the patch because of the above and other side affects. He gave me some meds. and was fine after that.

If you couldI would highly recommend seeing your Doctor and asking for prescribed meds. they work so much better w/o the feeling of wanting to sleep all the time.

For those of you who think that ginger prevents or minimizes motion sickness - you might check out the following paper where the effect of ginger and a placebo was compared in a controlled, double blind experiment.

The fact that so many people claim to get relief from ginger is meaningless since they know that they are taking it and the also do not have a way of comparing their level of sickness with how they would feel if they did not take it.

These people did a proper experiment and found no effect from ginger.

Thought you would like to know that except for its placebo effect, you are wasting your time taking ginger.

DON

Stewart JJ, Wood MJ, Wood CD, Mims ME.Louisiana State University Medical Center, Shreveport.

This study was designed to evaluate the antimotion sickness activity of ginger root (Zingiber officinale) and to characterize the effects of ginger on gastric function. Twenty-eight human volunteers participated in the project. Subjects made timed head movements in a rotating chair until they reached an endpoint of motion sickness short of vomiting (malaise III or M-III). Each subject was tested with either ginger or scopolamine and a placebo. A substance was judged to possess antimotion sickness activity if it allowed a greater number of head movements compared to placebo control. Gastric emptying of a liquid was measured by nuclear medicine techniques in normal and motion sick subjects. Gastric electrical activity was monitored by cutaneous (surface) electrodes positioned over the abdominal area. Powder ginger (whole root, 500 or 1,000 mg) or fresh ginger root (1,000 mg) provided no protection against motion sickness. In contrast, subjects performed an average of 147.5 more head movements (p less than 0.01) after scopolamine (0.6 mg p.o.) than after placebo. The rate of gastric emptying was significantly (p less than 0.05) slowed when tested immediately after M-III but was inhibited less when tested 15 min after M-III. Powdered ginger (500 mg) had no effect on gastric emptying in normal or motion-sick subjects. Gastric motility was also changed during motion sickness. The frequency of the electrogastrogram (EGG) was increased after M-III (tachygastria) and the normal increase in EGG amplitude after liquid ingestion was reduced in motion sick subjects. Although powdered ginger (500 mg) partially inhibited tachygastria in motion sickness, it did not enhance the EGG amplitude in motion sick subjects. We conclude that ginger does not possess antimotion sickness activity, nor does it significantly alter gastric function during motion sickness.

PMID: 2062873 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Ginger is for nausea not for vertigo. Also some of the people that take it get the placebo effect as they never sailed without taking it. Bonine is for the vertigo.

Motion sickness is nausea which can be treated with Bonine, it is possible vertigo can be treated with Bonine but a person does treat nausea with Bonine...

Ginger is bogus for me, it does noting but give me bad heart burn and upsets my stomach.

• 2 weeks later...

Most grocery stores will sell dried or candied ginger. Works great. HAL sometimes has someone giving out ginger as you leave the dining room. Also, no matter how "sick" you feel try to keep a little food in your stomach. If nothing else, try some plain crackers and FLAT gingerale. I have never tried the patch but I find Bonamine (Bonine in US) works well without the dopey effect of Dramamine. Also the patch in non prescription in Canada and can be purchased from the pharmacist. A little pricey though. We hit a tropical depression in the Pacific (30'+ swells) and we were at the front of the ship. I was a little green around the gills to say the least.

Most grocery stores will sell dried or candied ginger. Works great. HAL sometimes has someone giving out ginger as you leave the dining room. Also, no matter how "sick" you feel try to keep a little food in your stomach. If nothing else, try some plain crackers and FLAT gingerale. I have never tried the patch but I find Bonamine (Bonine in US) works well without the dopey effect of Dramamine. Also the patch in non prescription in Canada and can be purchased from the pharmacist. A little pricey though. We hit a tropical depression in the Pacific (30'+ swells) and we were at the front of the ship. I was a little green around the gills to say the least.

For those of you who think that ginger prevents or minimizes motion sickness - you might check out the following paper where the effect of ginger and a placebo was compared in a controlled, double blind experiment.

The fact that so many people claim to get relief from ginger is meaningless since they know that they are taking it and the also do not have a way of comparing their level of sickness with how they would feel if they did not take it.

These people did a proper experiment and found no effect from ginger.

Thought you would like to know that except for its placebo effect, you are wasting your time taking ginger.

DON

Stewart JJ, Wood MJ, Wood CD, Mims ME.Louisiana State University Medical Center, Shreveport.

This study was designed to evaluate the antimotion sickness activity of ginger root (Zingiber officinale) and to characterize the effects of ginger on gastric function. Twenty-eight human volunteers participated in the project. Subjects made timed head movements in a rotating chair until they reached an endpoint of motion sickness short of vomiting (malaise III or M-III). Each subject was tested with either ginger or scopolamine and a placebo. A substance was judged to possess antimotion sickness activity if it allowed a greater number of head movements compared to placebo control. Gastric emptying of a liquid was measured by nuclear medicine techniques in normal and motion sick subjects. Gastric electrical activity was monitored by cutaneous (surface) electrodes positioned over the abdominal area. Powder ginger (whole root, 500 or 1,000 mg) or fresh ginger root (1,000 mg) provided no protection against motion sickness. In contrast, subjects performed an average of 147.5 more head movements (p less than 0.01) after scopolamine (0.6 mg p.o.) than after placebo. The rate of gastric emptying was significantly (p less than 0.05) slowed when tested immediately after M-III but was inhibited less when tested 15 min after M-III. Powdered ginger (500 mg) had no effect on gastric emptying in normal or motion-sick subjects. Gastric motility was also changed during motion sickness. The frequency of the electrogastrogram (EGG) was increased after M-III (tachygastria) and the normal increase in EGG amplitude after liquid ingestion was reduced in motion sick subjects. Although powdered ginger (500 mg) partially inhibited tachygastria in motion sickness, it did not enhance the EGG amplitude in motion sick subjects. We conclude that ginger does not possess antimotion sickness activity, nor does it significantly alter gastric function during motion sickness.

PMID: 2062873 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Mythbusters says the following about Ginger Pills:

They had to figure out who in the MythBusters crew was susceptible to seasickness. Adam was a sure bet because of previous seasickness during the Jaws Special. Sure enough, Adam got quesy within 3 and half minutes on the chair. After a half an hour in the chair, Jamie was still fine. Kari and Tory were both fine as well. Grant became the final test subject. He lasted longer than Adam, but he got sick as well.

Remedy Testing

Homoepathic tongue tingler. They used a unnamed spray that you squirt under the tongue as often as needed. Grant was sick within 10 minutes and vomited some small chunks. Adam was sick within 4 minutes.

Wrist straps:They wore little gray wristbands that are 'Barry Manilow's choice.' Adam was sick within 90 seconds. Grant got sick as well. They've gotten pretty quick with bringing a bucket to Grant.

*Ginger pills: It worked! Adam and Grant were both fine.

Small shocks on the P6 Accupunture point (on the wrist): Both Adam and Grant got sick.

Placebo: They told Grant and Adam they were getting an over-the-counter pharmaceutical remedy, but they actually gave them vitamins. Adam's reponse: "I hate this [bleeping] chair" after three and a half minutes. Grant: "This is among the most effective, if not the most effective."

Over-the-counter pharmaceutical drug: Worked on Adam and Grant, but it made them both a little loopy.

Only thing that worked without any side effects was the ginger pill.

Ginger pills: plausible

Motion sickness is nausea which can be treated with Bonine, it is possible vertigo can be treated with Bonine but a person does treat nausea with Bonine...

Ginger is bogus for me, it does noting but give me bad heart burn and upsets my stomach.

Motion sickness is vertigo....

I tried taking bonine once, not for a cruise, because I have never been on one, BUT regardless of where it was it made me much more than a little loopy. I got many recommendations for it, everyone saying it doesn't make you at all drowsy. I don't know if I was drowsy or not, but everything was spinning and I chose to sleep it off. 24 hours later, I was still spinning, not quite as much though. Anyway my point is different things work in different ways for different people. Think I will try ginger this time pretrip again. I like to test things before ruining my fun. ;)

Archived