Update: Live from Millennium Jan. 20th Sailing – Medical Evacuation by USCG

Xcruiser

Last night at approximately 7:30pm EST we watched a medical evacuation preformed by a US Coast Guard helicopter in darkness off the bow of the Millennium. What appeared to be a woman passenger was air lifted from the forward helicopter pad by a basket lowered to the deck. This looked very risky in the darkness of the night but was pulled off successfully by the great efforts of the USCG crew. The condition of the passenger was unknown and our thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family with the hopes she will be ok.

I will post an update if we learn of further details.

I am in the military and i am constantly amazed at the capabilities of the United States Armed Forces. Great to know that there are alternatives for evacuation if someone is greatly ill. Hopefully the lady is doing well, most of been quite an adventure for her to get air lifted like that!

Please advise where the ship was located at the time of evacuation. Thanx.

Aprox 70-80 miles off the northern coast of Haiti at the time. No further update on the condition of the evac pax. Millie remains on schedule for arrival in Port Everglades at aprox 5:00am Sunday.

I am in the military and i am constantly amazed at the capabilities of the United States Armed Forces. Great to know that there are alternatives for evacuation if someone is greatly ill. Hopefully the lady is doing well, most of been quite an adventure for her to get air lifted like that!

Thank you for your service:)

Thanks TEXED & LOIS R we really appreciate your support.. i am deployed right now and me and my fiancee are going on our first cruise on the Mille Apr 6th and we are both very very excited...i think celebrity will bring forth the relaxation that we both need. But it really is great to hear the capabilites the USCG has, i mean this ship was off the coast of Haiti and they still responded like that....thats incredible!

Wow. Thanks for the information. Another a great reason to purchase travel insurance.

Also -- another thank you for your service from us! Congratulations on your first cruise on the Millie. Hope you have a wonderful time!

Nancy

To our military friends on this board, thanks for all that you do for our country!

On my first cruise I was able to witness a rescue at sea, just like the one described. It still amazes me that the pilots and crew have such skill to perform a rescue in a basket.

How far is the nearest Coast Guard station from Haiti? Is there one there? When in the Dominican Republic on the Millie, I was surprised to see a US Coast Guard Station there. Several of us asked our tour guide the reason for this, but she was unable to answer. I know wonder if this was the station that might have responded.

In any case, great job.

Carlat ~ welcome to Cruise Critic and my thanks, too, for your service. I hope that you find your upcoming Celebrity cruise to provide the relaxation you need and deserve.

Medical evacuation is the primary reason we take travel insurance. Sure hope the passenger is OK and hope you are having a good cruise, X Cruiser.

Thanks TEXED & LOIS R we really appreciate your support.. i am deployed right now and me and my fiancee are going on our first cruise on the Mille Apr 6th and we are both very very excited

You did put in for the military discount for your cruise, didn't you? :)

As we were getting off the Millie today I ran into one of our Cruise Critic roll call group members that filled me in on the details. It seems it was his sister in law who was evacuated who we had met at our unofficial sail away party and our official CC party onboard. From his details she was on a snorkeling excursion on Labadee and had a problem her defibrillator that caused it to start firing. The medical staff and officers aboard reviewed the options and it was too late in the day to call for a airlift from the landing strip near Labadee as it was not lit for night use. The decision was made after a console with a doctor in Miami to evacuate her from the ship once in international waters via the USCG. She was taken to the closest medical facilities in the Turks for eval and transfer to Miami where she was reported in good condition.

He emphasized the need to purchase travel insurance as that was going to cover the out of pocket costs which were going to be high. He also said the medical staff and crew did an outstanding job and expediting her best option to receive advanced medical assistance.

Hat’s off to the Medical staff and captain and officers along with the great efforts of our USCG and all in the military who serve our country so proudly.

Thanks for the information. We were watching the aerialists perform at the show when the music cut out for the captain's announcement. The show continued without interruption, though medics and officers went back and forth behind the deck 5 balcony to get to the helipad.

Thanks for the information. We were watching the aerialists perform at the show when the music cut out for the captain's announcement. The show continued without interruption, though medics and officers went back and forth behind the deck 5 balcony to get to the helipad.

My wife and I were in that crowd as they allowed us to go outside by the helipad and watch as this amazing "rescue at sea" took place. My sister is doing well and is thankful for all the wonderful crew onboard that helped. There were actually 38 crew members from Mille outside that assisted with the evacuation.

Thanks to all that have offered thoughts and prayers. She is leaving the hospital in Miami today and heading home to Orlando safe and sound.

The last thing she said to me right before they hoisted her into the Coast Guard Blackhawk was, "This is an e-ticket ride not many can say they have done."

Travel insurance, don't leave the country without it.

You did put in for the military discount for your cruise, didn't you? :)

When I booked the cruise directly with CC they told me they do not offer discounts of any kind? Do you know of them offering discounts for military?

When I booked the cruise directly with CC they told me they do not offer discounts of any kind? Do you know of them offering discounts for military?

Hey there battle buddy, I am also in the military, as well as a TA. Some cruise lines like RCCL and Celebrity only offer the discount on select sailings, Carnival offers the discount on almost all of them it seems. Keep checking online and the military rate might pop up. Be safe where ever you may be on this deployment.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone it is true...celebrity does offer them on select rooms/sailings I went online to check my rate and a couple of rooms were offered the mil discount ( $100 off each room) 60 days out from sailing so it is possible.

Archived