Has RC Ever Canceled A Cruise?

I am just wondering if RC has ever canceled a cruise due to lack of reservations?? Or, does the cruise go on as scheduled?

Has anyone ever cruised a ship that has a low number of passengers??

Inquiring minds want to know!

Suze!

RCCL has canceled cruises for other reasons but I have never heard of one for "lack of interest."

Charters are a main reason that cruises are canceled on people.

Hurricanes might change their course

Mechanical problems could cancel

Dry Dock if necessary to fix those problems.

I have done 24 cruises and I have never seen, or heard, of a ship sail far below capacity. ;)

wrp96 is correct. They will lower the prices of the cabins and fill the ship up if it looks like it will sail with too many empty cabins.

.............is because we booked our 8/30/08 cruise on the Liberty on 1/4/08. Since then there was a $50 pp price drop, and today I see another $100 pp price drop. Same cabin category. Our TA is calling RC on Monday to get us the latest price reduction!

Wondering why they're lowering the prices this early! Certainly not complaining - I'm tickled pink!

Any ideas why there would be price reductions this early??

Thanks for your thoughts!

Suze!

If the price drops, can you call RCCL and have your price adjusted? If so, What happens if it is paid in full? ...or, is the lower price just for new reservations?

Call whomever you booked through. If the price drop is after final payment, they will credit the drop back to the credit card you paid for the cruise with. Sometimes after final payment, the new price will be for new bookings only but even if it says new bookings only call because they might give it to you anyways. We had 2 price drops after final payment for my last cruise, both due to residency rate specials.

I am just wondering if RC has ever canceled a cruise due to lack of reservations?? Or, does the cruise go on as scheduled?

Has anyone ever cruised a ship that has a low number of passengers??

Inquiring minds want to know!

Suze!

Most RCL cruises are more than 90% sold so there is no need to cancel. They adjust prices due to supply and demand and can fill them up with last minute deals for people in Florida. All cruise lines run ads in the local papers in Florida and sometimes they get really good deals for cruises sailing in a week or two.

I think it was in 1998, and we sailed on the Carnival Jubilee to the Mexican Riviera. Only we didn't sail to the Mexican Riviera because Hurricane Nora hit all 3 of the ports. After a sea day, we docked in Ensenada and about 3 quarters of the passengers left the cruise and were bused back to San Pedro on a whole fleet of buses. Carnival had a "Vacation Guarantee" at that time, if you didn't like your fun ship cruise, you could leave at the first foreign port and Carnival would pro-rate your cruise and return you to the departure port. We stayed onboard and sailed up to San Francisco where we docked for 2 &1/2 days and then sailed back to San Pedro and flew back home to San Francisco. It was really strange to be a passenger on an almost empty ship. It was kind of dull actually. The dining room was empty, very few activities were scheduled. The crew was a little surly, because they lost tips for the entire week.

In answer to your question, no...they don't cancel cruises, they just adjust the price to sell more cabins. :)

.............is because we booked our 8/30/08 cruise on the Liberty on 1/4/08. Since then there was a $50 pp price drop, and today I see another $100 pp price drop. Same cabin category. Our TA is calling RC on Monday to get us the latest price reduction!

Wondering why they're lowering the prices this early! Certainly not complaining - I'm tickled pink!

Any ideas why there would be price reductions this early??

Thanks for your thoughts!

Suze!

8/30 is a transitional week. Some schools have started some have not. It's likely that more people are back to school or jobs than they originally estimated so they lower the pricing. It's all supply and demand.

8/30 is a transitional week. Some schools have started some have not. It's likely that more people are back to school or jobs than they originally estimated so they lower the pricing. It's all supply and demand.

I can't think of any school district that wouldn't be open by then. That's why the price is lower, since RC will be missing the families that fill the ships during summer vacation.

I can't think of any school district that wouldn't be open by then. That's why the price is lower, since RC will be missing the families that fill the ships during summer vacation.

They've been working for years to get the dates moved back in Texas to Labor Day. Too hot and the tourism lobby. Some have done it or moving back a week for the next two years. I think most open the last week of August this year and not mid-August as in previous years. Two major districts have already moved to AFTER labor day THIS year.

I'm not sure if it's finalized by the legislature or not, but many are already doing it.

http://www.cpa.state.tx.us/specialrpt/ssd/

Texas Voters Want Later School Start Date

2/2/05

AUSTIN — A recent survey shows an overwhelming majority of Texas registered voters support a school start date of Sept. 1 or later and the majority also support school districts having the option to lengthen the school day and shorten the school year.

The Texas Interested Citizens Statewide Voter Opinion Survey, conducted by the Eppstein Group, found that 67 percent of the state’s registered voters favor requiring all Texas public schools begin their school years after Labor Day or during the first week in September.

The last time I was on a less than full boat was in 1992, the maiden year of a new line. Crown Cruise Line, went under in two years, The M/Y Crown Monarch, later sold to Princess, transferred to P&O, sold to Star - and now I have no clue.

A beautiful 30,000ton or so ship, capacity I think was 800, and we sailed with about 400 (I had gotten a slamming deal two weeks before sailiing, so, no, no one ever cancels, they just keep dropping the price). Second day out, dining went to single seating. Third day out, into the tail end of a hurricane, about 200 pax were down with seasickness, and we had like one to one diners to waiter. LOL.

When we got to Labadee Shores (later sold to RCI) and tendered ashore, while they unloaded the pallets of construction materials that had been on the bow of the ship, to build the place, most of the pax that had recovered from seasickness were attacked by sea-lice, those little tiny jellyfish things. Only about 200 for dinner again that night, as everyone else was smearing calamine lotion all over themselves.LOL

All in all a great ship, a doomed voyage, and the best dining room service I have ever had, on any ship, bar none. (and I have been in the Grills)

Depends where you live. Schools here in WA state don't open til September- usually after Labor Day.

The first two weeks of September seem to be traditionally cheaper- I think it's the height of hurricane season! Maybe that extends to August in some years.

At any rate its a time for some great deals!

Thhis is exactly correct. Do not be surprised when the prices get lowered again!! The date is still summer, but not still summer for many people who are back to school...

Archived