yearning for the Queen.

nelly1

hi all.

i am 22 year old student and just about to finish my studies after 5 years. i have been fascinated by the QM2 since cunard first announced that they were gonna be building a new ocean liner. (i really thought ocean liners were doomed). i therefore promised myself 5 years ago that as a special treat for finshing in uni i would save and save and save my money and book a queens grill suite for a wonderful transatlantic voyage on my dream ship. however the money i have saved for all those years (and i nearely had enough) had since to be spent on my final year of uni as my parents could no longer affford to put me through uni. i was devestated as you could imagine that my 5 year dream has been unfulfilled. anyway on top of this i have no friends taht would travel with me. for them 6 nites on a ship would be their definition of hell i cant see it personally lol.

so thats why im on here i do have a bit of money and could prob afford a cheap grade of cabin and i wouldnt care just to be onn the ship i nwould sleep on deck lol . but my problem is that there is no way i could afford the astronomical single fare which i believe is 200% of the fare. therfore i would like to ask if thre is anybody out there who would be looking for a cabin mate on a transatlantic crossing sometime in the summer southhampton-new york? or indeed if there is two people sharing a cabin who wouldent mind a third person (i would share the cost evenely making it cheaper on all) i understand that this is probably an unusual request but if anybody could help me i would be just so grateful. as i mentioned it has been my dream to sail on the QM2 since she was commisoned and i would love to do it as a wind down after this manic busy year that im having just to do nothing but relax on one of the most beautiful ships ever built.

me. i am a very well educated funny guy who has an exceptional taste in refined elegance and class, and would make an excellent travel companion

thank you for reading this post and any help or information would be great

later

neill

Hello Neil

Be patient, you'll get your chance. :)

Remember, whether you book a standard inside cabin or a Queen's Grill, you'll end up in the same lounges and bars and other public spaces as everyone else, excepting the tiny spaces set aside for Grill passengers. And many grill passengers don't spend much time using those unimpressive spaces.

You'll get on board eventually, QM2 will be doing transats for a while...

hi all.

i am 22 year old student and just about to finish my studies after 5 years. i have been fascinated by the QM2 since cunard first announced that they were gonna be building a new ocean liner. (i really thought ocean liners were doomed). i therefore promised myself 5 years ago that as a special treat for finshing in uni i would save and save and save my money and book a queens grill suite for a wonderful transatlantic voyage on my dream ship. however the money i have saved for all those years (and i nearely had enough) had since to be spent on my final year of uni as my parents could no longer affford to put me through uni. i was devestated as you could imagine that my 5 year dream has been unfulfilled. anyway on top of this i have no friends taht would travel with me. for them 6 nites on a ship would be their definition of hell i cant see it personally lol.

so thats why im on here i do have a bit of money and could prob afford a cheap grade of cabin and i wouldnt care just to be onn the ship i nwould sleep on deck lol . but my problem is that there is no way i could afford the astronomical single fare which i believe is 200% of the fare. therfore i would like to ask if thre is anybody out there who would be looking for a cabin mate on a transatlantic crossing sometime in the summer southhampton-new york? or indeed if there is two people sharing a cabin who wouldent mind a third person (i would share the cost evenely making it cheaper on all) i understand that this is probably an unusual request but if anybody could help me i would be just so grateful. as i mentioned it has been my dream to sail on the QM2 since she was commisoned and i would love to do it as a wind down after this manic busy year that im having just to do nothing but relax on one of the most beautiful ships ever built.

me. i am a very well educated funny guy who has an exceptional taste in refined elegance and class, and would make an excellent travel companion

later

neill

Your friends don't know what they are missing if they would regard six night on Qm2 as hell. Surely one of them could be persuaded, and they would thank you afterwards.

Jane

Hello Neil

Be patient, you'll get your chance. :)

Remember, whether you book a standard inside cabin or a Queen's Grill, you'll end up in the same lounges and bars and other public spaces as everyone else, excepting the tiny spaces set aside for Grill passengers. And many grill passengers don't spend much time using those unimpressive spaces.

You'll get on board eventually, QM2 will be doing transats for a while...

ohh i was under the assumption that queens grill was essentially like first class on the older liners with completely seperate decks and stuff. thats brill. to be honest i much prefer the style of brittania rest to the QG as it is way more dramaitic.

i know il be onvoard eventually its just was sooooooo looking forward to this summer!

Your friends don't know what they are missing if they would regard six night on Qm2 as hell. Surely one of them could be persuaded, and they would thank you afterwards.

Jane

there a weird bunch lol i reckon it would be the overdose of class that would kill them lol. nah ive been trying to convince them for years now there having none of it. unfortunately

hi all.

later

neill

Neill,

If you are that keen to sail in QM2 you might want to try a different approach. One that would not cost you anything and you might actually earn something! :D

I don't what subjects you have done in uni, but why not approach Cunard and try for a job on the cruise staff. You don't need a degree in engineering but something to do with the arts, literature, music etc woudl be an excellent qualification for a position on cruise staff. On the other hand if you have a degree in engineering you might want to think about an application to become an Cadet Engineer. But if you have higher qualifications... a Navigating Cadet!!!!

You will find contact information on Cunard's webpage for employment opportinities. www.cunard.co.uk. Who knows, you might end up on QE2 in her last season... QM2 can wait!

Anyhow, just a thought, but you might actually enjoy a spell at sea after 5 years hard work at university. See the world! "Or as they used to say, "I went to sea to see the world, and what did I see? I saw the sea!"

Good luck,

Stephen

I think Stephen is right, if you have the ability to then work on the ship for at least a year. You have your whole life ahead of you to work in a traditional office and once started is hard to leave. You are still young yet and being single it is the perfect time to do something so unique. Although it is not like being a passenger with all the pampering that goes with it, it will give you a rare behind the scenes look at the ship you have so admired. Then later, when you are a passenger you will have a very deep sense of belonging and a greater appreciation for what goes into every trip than that of the average guest. Plus, it would make a stand out point in a future resume sure to get a second look! "You worked on the QM2!?"

Check out the 22.07.08 eastbound crossing, on the cunard website, you might be able to get it with no single supplement. :D If I did not already have 2 cruises booked for this year, I would be onboard.

Can you tell me please where exactly do you find these special single rates on the Cunard website? :confused:

I suspect that I am very absent-minded, but I cannot find them...

Check out the 22.07.08 eastbound crossing, on the cunard website, you might be able to get it with no single supplement. :D If I did not already have 2 cruises booked for this year, I would be onboard.

Can you tell me please where exactly do you find these special single rates on the Cunard website? :confused:

Neill, have you checked some internet discount cruise agencies?

You could find perhaps some offers there, so that the 200% supplement would be closer to your budget.

If you don't know about them (which seems rather improbable...), google for them, or e-mail me to send you some URLS, as we are not allowed to post them here. I am not a travel agent, and I have repeatedly used some of them with a decent degree of satisfaction.

The prices on the companies' websites are not always the best one can find...:)

it doesn't seem to be listed in the special offers, so out of curiosity I went into the online booking system & started a booking on that trip. The double occupancy fare was £1199pp (before online booking discount) & its actually showing some very nice low fares from £815

D8 Standard Inside £ 4,559.00 £ 3,744.00 £ 815.00

which actually is much lower than I would expect :confused: - I even did it again to make sure I had entered 1 person, but the same price came up!

interesting

Karen

The offers were listed on my TA's website but soon vanished, but not before I had noted the date ;).

I have checked it a few times and the 22nd June crossing is coming up with no single supplement.

If anyone manages to book a single with no supplement I would be interested to know.

Neill,

If you are that keen to sail in QM2 you might want to try a different approach. One that would not cost you anything and you might actually earn something! :D

I don't what subjects you have done in uni, but why not approach Cunard and try for a job on the cruise staff. You don't need a degree in engineering but something to do with the arts, literature, music etc woudl be an excellent qualification for a position on cruise staff. On the other hand if you have a degree in engineering you might want to think about an application to become an Cadet Engineer. But if you have higher qualifications... a Navigating Cadet!!!!

You will find contact information on Cunard's webpage for employment opportinities. www.cunard.co.uk. Who knows, you might end up on QE2 in her last season... QM2 can wait!

Anyhow, just a thought, but you might actually enjoy a spell at sea after 5 years hard work at university. See the world! "Or as they used to say, "I went to sea to see the world, and what did I see? I saw the sea!"

Good luck,

Stephen

Stephen, what a fantastic suggestion!!

Neill, you should definitely explore this possibility. This might be the perfect solution for you.

Beth

Stephen, what a fantastic suggestion!!

Neill, you should definitely explore this possibility. This might be the perfect solution for you.

Beth

Beth,

OK... I've got a great idea.

I'm going to open a crewing agency to provide cruise staff for Cunard. OK, OK.... some vacancies for Bar Attenders as well. No more paying for your cruise... you will GET paid! :D Just 10% of your tips to my bank account in Cayman Islands. ;)

Stephen

Where do I sign up??? I can't pass up your wonderful offer! Once I get the job, the check will be in the mail to your Cayman Island bank account.;)

By the way, I'm a big fan of yours. Thanks for responding to my post!

Beth

Beth,

Thank you! :)

I've got a spot for you as Hostess. Which ship would you like?

Stephen

hey i just checked that out £830 even single thats brill thank you so much for your advice. the first time we are on the same crossing i owe you a drink lol. now i jsut need to figure my availability for taht week and book. also one more question does that price include my flight from UK? im a wee bit confused.:confused:

Beth,

Thank you! :)

I've got a spot for you as Hostess. Which ship would you like?

Stephen

Stephen,

What a lovely complement! Thank you. I think I'll choose the QM2!

I hope our paths cross on a future sailing. I would be honored to meet you.

Beth

hey i just checked that out £830 even single thats brill thank you so much for your advice. the first time we are on the same crossing i owe you a drink lol. now i jsut need to figure my availability for taht week and book. also one more question does that price include my flight from UK? im a wee bit confused.:confused:

You're welcome.

Yes that price should include a flight from the UK to New York. :)

Archived