Food Quantity....

halliewd

Food quantity….most talk about quality I'm wondering about serving sizes. Hubby is a big boy with a big appetite, when ordering off the menu can he order steak and a seafood item or maybe 2 appetizers?

Also are most entrées served with a potato and veggie of some sort?

for the main dining rooms...order whatever ever you want. some portions are very small..haute cruisine style. then some were large (like the coq au vin). the entree does come with rice or some veggie...but it's more of a plate decoration at time.

one meal, DH order an entree as a appetizer, he thought he would get a 1/2 portion. he got a whole entree (duck).

for the surcharge dining venues, there is mixed reviews. everyone says you can order as much as you want in apps, soups, salads, veggies and desserts. some have said they order a second entree without being charges, some say there were charged

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=ncl+menus&new=1&source=chromeheader

most of the menus on the 1st page are fairly current.

Definitely can fill up in the main dining rooms. My sons 22 and 24 have big appetities and don't care for salads and soups so for some meals they would order 2 or 3 entrees that were served at the same time as I was getting an appetizer or soup. Depends sometimes on the waiter as to how it is served. Just ask. The other good thing is there is always a burger place and/or buffet if the main dinner just doesn't cut it. Enjoy!

We usually only see questions about quality, nice to see a different question.

Yes, in the main dinning rooms you can order quantity to satisfy your appetite. Order as many from the appetizers, soups, salads, entres, desserts as you wish. As noted the portion sizes are on the small size.

Once I was torn, between two entrees, - steak, lamb. I ordered the steak. The next table received their dinner and I saw the lamb, it looked so appealing I changed my mind. As the wait staff brought the salads, I told her I had changed my mind and wanted the lamb instead. She said she would bring both. I didn't need to but I ate them both. Both were excellent.

The buffet is of course an all you can eat affair.

Enjoy.

with thousands of diners, some eating every hour, they can pile up food to feed a family on a plate and eat half. Thus waste. Money losing waste. So they should serve the average meal PP and then you can get 2nd or 3rd to meet filling your tummy, so order but be sure to, please, eat it all. Flood prices, to meet the quality we all want, can increase cruise rates because of wasteful folks.

for the main dining rooms...order whatever ever you want. some portions are very small..haute cruisine style. then some were large (like the coq au vin). the entree does come with rice or some veggie...but it's more of a plate decoration at time.

one meal, DH order an entree as a appetizer, he thought he would get a 1/2 portion. he got a whole entree (duck).

for the surcharge dining venues, there is mixed reviews. everyone says you can order as much as you want in apps, soups, salads, veggies and desserts. some have said they order a second entree without being charges, some say there were charged

http://www.webshots.com/search?query=ncl+menus&new=1&source=chromeheader

most of the menus on the 1st page are fairly current.

To the OP:

I agree with the others that said the your DH will not go hungry!!!! IMO the sign of a great dining experience is when you leave feeling satisfied rather than stuffed. NCL accomplishes this with smaller portion sizes. That being said, you are always free to order more of everything or to ask for something not on th menu. For example, we felt the kid's meals were a little lacking in the vegetable department, so we requested a plate of steamed veggies to be brought with their dinners. The waiters were more than happy to accomodate:)

While I agree with the previous posters, I have to say that my husband left some of the dining rooms last week on our cruise without feeling satisfied because the portions were so small. Yes, you can order as many entrees as you want, but specify that you want them all together because otherwise they treat them as separate courses and they are spaced out with 20 minutes in between them. At least that was our experience. Some of the entrees are SO small I would consider them an appetizer. And you obviously won't know that until it arrives, and if you decide to order another at that time you'll be waiting a while. Of course, there's always the buffet to stuff yourself on - and the food there was excellent too.

Food quantity….most talk about quality I'm wondering about serving sizes. Hubby is a big boy with a big appetite, when ordering off the menu can he order steak and a seafood item or maybe 2 appetizers?

Also are most entrées served with a potato and veggie of some sort?

except in the specialty dining rooms he can order as many dishes as he wants. In the sur charge restaurants they encourage you to order extra appitzers, salads etc but not entrees. Yes, the entrees always come with a veggie and a carb of some kind. You can order a baked popato each night if you want but that isn't stated on the menu.

AS for serving sizes, they are not particularly large which I think is much better. I hate to see waste and I hate leaving the table feeling overly full. For those with large appitites do order 2 entrees at once. As others have said, you can always find something to eat. Most of the ships desigend for freestyle have "Blue Lagoon" It is similar to your neighborhood diner serving comfort foods like hamburgers, fish and chips, buffalo wings etc. Go there for you mid afternoon or late night snack.

Nita

One of the nice things about freestyle is that if you eat moderately in the dining room and then get hungry later, there are lots of other options. Sometimes we skip dessert at dinner and then go to one of the no-charge specialty restaurants later just for dessert. Of course you could have another whole meal if you wanted to.;)

with thousands of diners, some eating every hour, they can pile up food to feed a family on a plate and eat half. Thus waste. Money losing waste. So they should serve the average meal PP and then you can get 2nd or 3rd to meet filling your tummy, so order but be sure to, please, eat it all. Flood prices, to meet the quality we all want, can increase cruise rates because of wasteful folks.

Given the food budget on a ship is probably less than $150 pppw the passenger waste is a tiny part of the cruise fare don't fool yourself that waste put up cruise fares a lot.

To the OP you can eat as much as you want, at the pay specials the mains portions are fairly large and you can load up with the higher quality starters for the even bigger eater. You can always ave regular sides of veg potatoes in addition to those supplied with the main.

One handy thing with the smaller sizes is you can try more than one at each meal.

Archived