Do you think it is possible for a request to be made to the captain to...

chewie44

On May 1st when our ship arrives in Rome, since it is a holiday, the Vatican, the Sistine Chapel, alot of shops, restaurants will be closed.:mad:

Do you think that a vote could be taken on board to have the Captain go to Florence on May 1st, then back to Rome on May 2nd, so no one would miss alot of seeing the popular tourist sites?:o

My mom and I would be highly disappointed to go all the way to Rome, and never get to see the Vatican or the Sistine chapel.:(

I sincerely doubt that a cruise line will adjust it's itinerary just to accommodate sight-seers whims. I don't know if Maritime law would even allow it.

That's why it's important to research your trips before-hand, so you're not disappointed. I'd be disappointed if I went to Rome and missed the sights you mentioned.

There is absolutely no way on earth passengers can tell a captain how to handle his ship. Do you think passengers on any form of transportation could do something like this? You're dealing with thousands of people and hundreds of thousands of dollars here, and the cruise line isn't going to change their itineraries for their passengers, unless it's to avoid a dangerous situation.

Cruise lines make their arrangements long in advance as to where they can dock, etc. A cruise ship is not a democracy and they aren't able to change their itinerary because you did not do your research before booking!

You can go to the Vatican on this day and see the outside; it's still pretty interesting and churches are open. There are many, many other wonderful things to see in Rome, even if some things are closed. I highly recommend the Hop on and hop off bus; it will take you all over Rome and you can get on and off as you please. It stops at all the historical sites. Do some research and don't let this ruin your trip.

Too many things to see on one trip; you will have something to look forward to when you come back.

No...the facilities at the ports of call are not magically kept open, just in case a passenger decides to re-route a ship. The scheduling has to be done in advance....you can't just park a cruise ship anywhere.

There is a notation when reserving the trip in the first place that "itineraries are subject to change".....

Florence is on the itinerary already, as May 2nd, and since they are not far apart from each other (out to sea between those ports), it would not be a great change to the itinerary.

It is possible that knowing that alot of tourist sites are closed for the holiday, the ship may even make the change without anyone saying anything.

I have heard from a co-worker, that when she was on a Mediterranean cruise, and one of the planned ports had to be changed, the Captain offered the passengers a choice between 2 ports as to what the majority wanted to go to.

There is a notation when reserving the trip in the first place that "itineraries are subject to change".....

Yes, itineraries can change - but they normally only change because of severe weather, rough seas, civil unrest ... not something like a holiday.

Many ships sail to ports on a weekly basis where the shops are closed on Sundays, and they don't change the itinerary. They also stop in ports on Easter Sunday or Christmas when virtually everything is closed. I recall reading a string where people were asking what they could do on Christmas Day when everything was closed in a certain town (Key West, I believe).

So the chances are pretty slim, but if you're serious then you should contact the cruiseline now ... don't go knocking on the door to the bridge and request a change while you're enroute.

Ship itineraries are planned far in advance, and those that do the planning know when the holidays are. They are NOT going to switch ports on that large ship just because it is a holiday! Of course they have that note about changes; no cruise line can ever guarantee you will be able to visit each port.

You are talking about a HUGE change in itinerary. It's already been pointed out to you that ships contract far in advance for dock space. They can't just pull up at an empty dock, like you could a parking space.

I have been on five cruises and I think we have always had some sort of port change on each one, but it has always been due to a problem like weather, not because some people were disappointed they couldn't see a tourist site.

I don't know what your co-worker is talking about, but I do smile thinking of thousands of people jumping up and down to cast their votes. Not going to happen on NCL.

I will be booking a shore excursion with the cruise "Rome-Baroque City".:D I will get to see the Trevi Fountain, the Pantheon, Piazza Navona where the Fountain of the Four rivers is, St Peter's Square, and if St Peter's Basilica is open, then we can visit that....;)

We will have an enjoyable time despite the fact that we can't see somethings.:)

Kathy

Archived