Canada For Non-Canadians - Put Your Tips Here!

Ephraim

EBay, now that's a thought.

Fortunately I travel to Canada often enough that I can do my own shopping.

I have a Tim Horton's cup that I use at the office. Once in a while someone recognizes it for what it is and has a laugh on me.

I'm sure a major reason Tim Horton's coffee tastes so good is the water.

Nice Blog!

Incidentally, there are Tim's stores in some of the US. In fact, the states with Tim's are: CT, KY, MA, ME, MI, NY, OH, PA, RI and WV. They are also looking to expend further in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, I would like to thank Ephraim, and all of the Canadian posters here for their very informative, and often humorous contributions to this thread. I have already made some notes.

My wife and I just booked a Canada/New England cruise that starts in Montreal, and ends in Ft Lauderdale in Oct. of this year.(hoping to see lots of fall colors). We are going to fly in to Montreal 2-3 days early, as we have never been there and are anxious to experience it.

I do have a few basic questions. First, what airport do we fly into? When I do a search, 3 different airports come up. Is it Dorval (YUL)? Also, we know nothing about the neighborhoods, but, Old Montreal looks very good, and central to the sights. As far as hotels, my wife has loved the website for Auberge du Vieux Port. Any comments? It looks like we could actually walk to the ship from there. Is this true?

I'm sure we will have more questions when we get to planning the sightseeing here and in Quebec.

Thank you all again!!

The airport changed names a while back, it is officially named Pierre Elliott Trudeau International Airport. Locally it is called Dorval airport. We have a second airport in Montreal called Mirabel, but it is only used for cargo now. It's airport code is YMX and then like many cities with multiple airports they had a code that covered the city, YMQ.

Canada is the only country in the world that has a prefix with airport codes, almost all of Canada's airports start with the letter Y. Toronto is YYZ, Vancouver is YVR, Halifax is YHZ etc. There are a few towns that have Z codes instead.

I don't know the hotel well. But the location looks good and so do the reviews.

I do have a few basic questions. First, what airport do we fly into? When I do a search, 3 different airports come up. Is it Dorval (YUL)?

Yes, you'll be flying into Pierre Elliot Trudeau airport, previously known as Dorval. The other two airports (Mirabel & St Hubert) have little or no passenger traffic (although a fair bit of cargo/flight training respectively).

• 4 weeks later...

[quote=Ephraim; decided to start a thread where us Canadians can tell Non-Canadians all about Canada and they can easily get a better understanding of us.

Thanks so much for the tips. We have been on the west coast on two or three occasions but we are looking forward to our trip from Fort Lauderdale to Montreal this May.

Aloha and Mahalo from Hawaii!

Canadian medications

Different provinces have different rules. I think Quebec has the most strict rules of all. You need prescriptions for prescription medication in Canada. I say this because so many people ask. There are some medications in Canada that are prescription in the US and vice-versa. For example, you can get allergy medications like Allegra over the counter in Canada but you can't get 10% hydro-cortisone cream in Canada without a prescription... don't assume that medications are available over the counter in Canada. Further, some medications are only available from behind the counter (with ID, but no prescription) and some are only available from under the counter (again, with ID, but no prescription).

In many places you will find items like Gravol (sea sickness medication), Solorcaine (burn and first aid medication) and others are available but are behind the pharmacist and you will need to ask. Sometimes you will be asked for ID or even name and address.

In Quebec, pharmacists are prohibited from selling cigarettes. It is seen as a violation of the pharmacist's oath. Any store that has a pharmacy cannot sell tobacco. (In fact, some supermarkets have tobacconists but you have to walk outside to enter, since they also have pharmacies.)

Cigarettes

Canadian cigarettes are different than American cigarettes. Cigarettes are also highly taxed in Canada as well as highly controlled. You won't see a machine selling cigarettes in the country, even in a bar. Then again, it's unlikely that you can smoke in the bar in any case, never mind a public building or restaurant.

While I'm unsure if the same change is being made elsewhere in Canada, there is a significant change happening in Quebec. Cigarettes will no longer be sold openly as of the first of June. In other words, out of sight, out of mind and children won't be able to even see the packets in the stores. You will need to ask for them, specifically.

Also, if you haven't yet seen a Canadian packet of cigarettes, they come with a full colour picture and a very large warning. (Some other countries have now copied Canada's stance and have the same size warnings and colour pictures).

Canadian medications

Different provinces have different rules. I think Quebec has the most strict rules of all. You need prescriptions for prescription medication in Canada. I say this because so many people ask. There are some medications in Canada that are prescription in the US and vice-versa. For example, you can get allergy medications like Allegra over the counter in Canada but you can't get 10% hydro-cortisone cream in Canada without a prescription... don't assume that medications are available over the counter in Canada. Further, some medications are only available from behind the counter (with ID, but no prescription) and some are only available from under the counter (again, with ID, but no prescription).

In many places you will find items like Gravol (sea sickness medication), Solorcaine (burn and first aid medication) and others are available but are behind the pharmacist and you will need to ask. Sometimes you will be asked for ID or even name and address.

In Quebec, pharmacists are prohibited from selling cigarettes. It is seen as a violation of the pharmacist's oath. Any store that has a pharmacy cannot sell tobacco. (In fact, some supermarkets have tobacconists but you have to walk outside to enter, since they also have pharmacies.)

Cigarettes

Canadian cigarettes are different than American cigarettes. Cigarettes are also highly taxed in Canada as well as highly controlled. You won't see a machine selling cigarettes in the country, even in a bar. Then again, it's unlikely that you can smoke in the bar in any case, never mind a public building or restaurant.

While I'm unsure if the same change is being made elsewhere in Canada, there is a significant change happening in Quebec. Cigarettes will no longer be sold openly as of the first of June. In other words, out of sight, out of mind and children won't be able to even see the packets in the stores. You will need to ask for them, specifically.

Also, if you haven't yet seen a Canadian packet of cigarettes, they come with a full colour picture and a very large warning. (Some other countries have now copied Canada's stance and have the same size warnings and colour pictures).

"While I'm unsure if the same change is being made elsewhere in Canada, there is a significant change happening in Quebec. Cigarettes will no longer be sold openly as of the first of June. In other words, out of sight, out of mind and children won't be able to even see the packets in the stores. You will need to ask for them, specifically.

Actually BC has beaten Quebec to the punch on this as it became effective on April 1, 2008.

Cheers from the west coast and GO HABS! GO!!!

Dennis

The cigarette discussion reminded me of something else that people with children need to know. In BC (and I think, Alberta), you might encounter restaurants that look like they'd be great for kids and have good casual food. However, even though they might not look like it, they are pubs. Nobody under 19 can go in. They don't look like bars, so it can be confusing. My son works in one most summers and they take great abuse from tourists with kids looking for a good casual eating place. It's the law, so the people who work there can't get around it.

However, pubs in other provinces pubs allow kids and you will see a lot of families. Ontario does this.

Viv

Quite a lot of the pubs in BC have a seperate restaurant area where children are allowed. It is confusing & it is best to ask first.

Viv, it was your mention of the SS Prince George that started us off on our BC Ferries thread. Thanks. It is a bit of fun for us boring old ferry folk!:D

Graham.

You are welcome. I was just in a job interview where they asked some of those rather strange questions designed to make you think and throw you off your pre-planned responses. One was, "Tell us about awards and trophies you've acquired over your life and how they relate to who you are now." So first I told them about the trophy I got for the masquerade on the SS Prince George and how after that I saw myself as a traveller! The interviewer was a fellow cruiser and she loved the story. I got the job. Perhaps it was the cruise story that did it.

Viv

How do I order a black cofee with nothing in it at Tim Horton's?

I love the coffee but can't seem to get away from the sugar.

Thank you!

Just order it black and don't mention sugar at all. It can get pretty loud behind the counter (I speak from 7 years past experience), and sometimes just hearing the word "sugar" lands a spoonful in the cup. But it's not intentional, just goes with the territory of working in one of the busiest chains in the country.

We will be in Vancouver and Whistler in June for 3 days pre cruise. I wondered if baggage porters and cab drivers prefer to be tipped in Canadian money or if US dollars would be appropriate. We will probably use credit cards for meals etc. but I am curious whether we should exchange our money at the airport as soon as we land so we have tip money.

While it's always preferable to give Canadians local currency, no one will complain about receiving US funds. Everyone knows how to convert it and understands that Americans generally don't tip in Canadian dollars.

Just order it black and don't mention sugar at all. It can get pretty loud behind the counter (I speak from 7 years past experience), and sometimes just hearing the word "sugar" lands a spoonful in the cup. But it's not intentional, just goes with the territory of working in one of the busiest chains in the country.

Someone took my favorite Tim Horton's coffee cup; so I need to buy another. I love Tim Horton's coffee and especially that it is easy to order avoiding all the mess with trying to order at Starbucks.

The province of BC where Vancouver is located , is larger the combined area of Washington , Oregon and California ( include part of Idaho & Nevada)

It takes about 4 days to drive from Vancouver to the Yukon/BC border.

:cool:

Distances are measured in Kilometers(80 Kilometers = 50 Miles) :cool:

Temperature is measured in Celcius

(32 Far = 0 Cel) :cool:

Rainfall is measure in Millemetres

(1000 mm = 1 M = 39.7 in) :cool:

Liquids are measure in liters

( 1 US Gall = aprox 4 L) :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Just home from Halifax! First thing went to Tim Horton's and got my black coffee. Made a visit at least once a day.

Very good coffee at a fair price. Canadian Bucks not Star Bucks!

"While I'm unsure if the same change is being made elsewhere in Canada, there is a significant change happening in Quebec. Cigarettes will no longer be sold openly as of the first of June. In other words, out of sight, out of mind and children won't be able to even see the packets in the stores. You will need to ask for them, specifically.

Actually BC has beaten Quebec to the punch on this as it became effective on April 1, 2008.

Cheers from the west coast and GO HABS! GO!!!

Dennis

PEI has both provinces beat. Tobacco products have not been available in pharmacies since June of 2006 and cannot be displayed anywhere except a tobacco shop since then as well. A couple years prior they banned smoking in the workplace and establishements could have smoking rooms with very explicit definitions, though, the legislature is looking to ban those "smoking rooms" as well.

Prior to this weeked, flavoured carbonated beverages were only allowed to be sold in refillable containers (glass bottles). So soda/pop and beer were only available in glass bottles. They recently changed the law and as of Saturday you can now get your pop and beer in plastic bottles and aluminum cans. Frankly, myself and a lot of others feel this is an environmental step backwards but can't fight popular opinion I guess. It was funny, on the weekend people were going with cart loads of canned pop out of the grocery store, you'd think it was only available for the one day!

In Canada, iced tea is a sweetened drink mix. In the US, iced tea is just plain tea poured over ice.

If I'm in the US, I always order a "rye and ginger ale" by brand name (eg "Canadian Club and ginger ale" because the former will get me bourbon.

Learned both of these the hard way :D .

PEI has both provinces beat. Tobacco products have not been available in pharmacies since June of 2006 and cannot be displayed anywhere except a tobacco shop since then as well. A couple years prior they banned smoking in the workplace and establishements could have smoking rooms with very explicit definitions, though, the legislature is looking to ban those "smoking rooms" as well.

Quebec was the first province to make keep pharmacies from selling cigarettes. It wasn't in fact a law but the order of pharmacists who started. Imasco wasn't very happy being the owners of Shoppers Drug Mart/Pharmaprix at the time. (Imasco aka Imperial Tobacco for those not in the know owned Canada's largest pharmacy at the time.)

But we are talking about the fact that cigarettes will only be sold under the counter, everywhere. You won't be able to see a packet of cigarettes on the store shelves in Quebec, at all. Cigarettes and 222s... all under the counter.

Archived