Champagne Bay

LouLou28

Hi everyone! I've been doing some research around these boards for info on Champagne Bay but thought I would start a thread to get some more feedback!

Just wanted to know what hints, tips or anything else anyone has on Champagne Bay.

We're more than happy to sit on the beach/swim/snorkel - but thought I would check here to see if there were other things that we should not miss out on when we visit the port when we cruise later this month?:D

Hi everyone! I've been doing some research around these boards for info on Champagne Bay but thought I would start a thread to get some more feedback!

Just wanted to know what hints, tips or anything else anyone has on Champagne Bay.

We're more than happy to sit on the beach/swim/snorkel - but thought I would check here to see if there were other things that we should not miss out on when we visit the port when we cruise later this month?:D

The locals at Champagne Bay operate tours to the Blue Lagoon (where the movie was filmed). Cost is A$10pp, and it is worth it. There seem to be two slightly different trips, and both go to the blue lagoon and past the village. One tour goes to a high area that overlooks the bay where the ship is anchored, and the other doesn't. Ask where the trip goes. The one that did the trip to the lookout was on sale about half or three-quarters way along the market stalls.

It is great to snorkel in the blue lagoon. The water has a blue tinge, and is crystal clear. There are a lot of fish. Take either reef shoes, rubber thongs or crocs for everyone because you have to walk over some coral to get to the water. I had to hobble carefully in bare feet because I was wearing leather sandles and I didn't want to get them totally wet. Lesson learnt!

The markets are quite good. In addition to swimming and snorkelling, you can take a short trip on an outrigger canoe (A$5pp). Make sure you have someone ready with the camera.

We will be on the Sun also on the 23rd Feb cruise. See you there!:):)

I am very wary about eating foods on the islands.

But at Champagne Bay, they have the best lobster and crabs for sale. You see the locals catch the lobster/crabs, and then you pick which one you want, and watch them as they cook it for you. And then they cut it open for you, add some lime if you like, and wrap it in a banana leaf.

Perfect to eat while relaxing on the beach!

I think you are pretty much safe if eating the lobster/crabs here on Champagne Bay, because unlike some of the other islands where it is already pre-cooked and you do not know how long it has been sitting in sun, here on Champagne Bay you see the actual lobster/crab moving and very much alive.

Within 20 minutes of you choosing your live lunch, it is cooked and ready for you.

Prices are very good. Large Crabs were $5.00 each. Lobsters ranged in price, depending on size.

I bought two lobsters, about 15cm in tail length (longer if you count the rest of the body), for $20.00 each.

Just remember that they do not take P&O cruise cards as payment! Bring Aussie Dollars!

Enjoy Champagne Bay...one of the best places in the South Pacific. Equal First with Isle Of Pines!!

We put IOP slightly ahead of Champagne Bay on our cruise, but we did love this place.

When we were there, the water was very salty. We took a pink inflatable and goggles\snorkels. Like most places, they have a pristine appearance till you have 1000 cruisers spread out on the beach. Beach is beautiful and sandy with plenty of stalls. We were intent on adding to a muumuu and hawaiian shirt collection, but prices were over the top on some items. While we did by some sarongs, the asking price for muumuus was close to double of the other islands we visited.

We did not eat on the Island, as it was a short tender back for a free dining room meal, freshen up with a shower and return. However we knew we would have lobster tails 3 times onboard, and crab as well. Don't think this is as available on P&O.

If ever we are looking to book another Pacific cruise, Champagne Bay will be one of the stops we will be looking to repeat.

defiantly look out for the photo opportunities. There are bright green lizards, snakes, topical birds and stuff that you can have your photo taken with for a 'donation' ;) Love Champagne Bay and would love to go back there really soon- you are very lucky to go there.

Thanks every .... you are FANTASTIC:D!!!

We're very lucky - we get to go to Champagne Bay and Isle of Pines on this cruise .... so look out I'll be starting another thread on the other ports that I need info on.

This has been great - I've got lots of notes now of things to do!

But don't be shy --- keep it coming (there's a few of us on CC doing this cruise - so I'm sure they're all thankful for the info!):D:D

if you want to see some pics of champagne bay click on the pic down the bottom, but then go to other albums and choose christmas on the Star. i'm pretty sure there are some there!:o

Thanks Teegie --- enjoyed looking through those!

Linda Champagne Bay is just glorious. It's our favourite island. My husband could just sit there all day and look out into the surroundings. He is always last back onto the tender. We've been there with lots of sunshine and also drizzle. The drizzle has not dulled the island at all.

We always do the Blue lagoon tour which also includes the trip to the top of the hill to look out over the water.

The tour is $10pp but they also now charge $3pp to go down to the lagoon once you get there. It is very much worth it.

I agree, some of the prices are ridiculous! You will tend to get it cheaper on other islands. The alcohol and soft drinks prices are resonable tho.

I'm sure you will just love this place.

Kerri

Linda Champagne Bay is just glorious. It's our favourite island. My husband could just sit there all day and look out into the surroundings. He is always last back onto the tender. We've been there with lots of sunshine and also drizzle. The drizzle has not dulled the island at all.

We always do the Blue lagoon tour which also includes the trip to the top of the hill to look out over the water.

The tour is $10pp but they also now charge $3pp to go down to the lagoon once you get there. It is very much worth it.

I agree, some of the prices are ridiculous! You will tend to get it cheaper on other islands. The alcohol and soft drinks prices are resonable tho.

I'm sure you will just love this place.

Kerri

Thanks Kerry!:D

Thanks for all this information from me as well guys.

I am another CC-er going on this cruise with Ela and Loulou and was interested in how you can get to the Blue Lagoon as we went on an organised Shore Tour to there when we were there in 1997 but there aren't any offered at this port anymore (well according to P&O Site anyway LOL) and wanted to go again because it is such a gorgeous place!!:p

The locals at Champagne Bay operate tours to the Blue Lagoon (where the movie was filmed). Cost is A$10pp, and it is worth it.

I love Christopher Atkins so this is a definate must for me!!! I am very excited now.

:)

Now ... the question is ... was it the 1980 version (with Christopher Atkins/Brooke Shields) --- or the original 1949 one that was filmed there!!??

I am sure that the original with Atkins/Sheilds was made on a island in Fiji. I did get excited when i found out about the blue lagoon at Champagne Bay and did a llittle research and i am sure a fijian island was the answer that i came up with. Dont quote me though cause i am not certain.

Cheers,

Kirsten

I am sure that the original with Atkins/Sheilds was made on a island in Fiji. I did get excited when i found out about the blue lagoon at Champagne Bay and did a llittle research and i am sure a fijian island was the answer that i came up with. Dont quote me though cause i am not certain.

Cheers,

Kirsten

I've cruised to Yasawa I Rara and the tour director tells us that the Blue Lagoon (the one in the movie) is there.

Cheers,

Kirsten

I'm pretty sure that when we booked our original cruise (which was cancelled due to Star sale ... and subsequently replaced with this one) - we were going to Yasa-I-Rara and we were told that was where the beach scenes were filmed for the Brooke Shields/Christopher Atkins one too ... that's why I was wondering if this 'Blue Lagoon' was used for the original one - or perhaps they used a number of locations.

Really ... not worrying too much - the lagoon looks lovely!!!:D :D and well worth a visit anyway!

Cheers,

Kirsten

Yes, the Blue Lagoon at Champagne Bay is actually just a nice lagoon that is blue.

We got told that the movie location was done on 3 islands, Champagne Bay being one and i'm now not sure which the others were.

Also meant to add, you MUST try the seafood. I too wasn't sure about eating it, (have been twice before and couldn't bring myself to try it as wasn't sure of it's quality even tho I watched them catch it!!) until our cruise last Feb. For $10 we got a cray and crab each and it was divine. I will always now have some seafood everytime we go to Champagne Bay. They're catching the seafood all day so you know it's just fresh.

Kerri

The local Vanuatan beer (Tusker) is available at a number of "bars" at Champagne Bay. Get it early while it is still very cold. It really is a very nice beer ( a European lager style ) and is much tastier than Aussie commercial beers.

Barry - a beer snob

Thanks every .... you are FANTASTIC:D!!!

We're very lucky - we get to go to Champagne Bay and Isle of Pines on this cruise .... so look out I'll be starting another thread on the other ports that I need info on.

This has been great - I've got lots of notes now of things to do!

But don't be shy --- keep it coming (there's a few of us on CC doing this cruise - so I'm sure they're all thankful for the info!):D:D

I know I am (thankful) :)

I'm pretty sure that when we booked our original cruise (which was cancelled due to Star sale ... and subsequently replaced with this one) - we were going to Yasa-I-Rara and we were told that was where the beach scenes were filmed for the Brooke Shields/Christopher Atkins one too ... that's why I was wondering if this 'Blue Lagoon' was used for the original one - or perhaps they used a number of locations.

Really ... not worrying too much - the lagoon looks lovely!!!:D :D and well worth a visit anyway!

You took the words right out of my mouth :D

I guess the Blue Lagoon is the same as Mystery Island - there's one everywhere :D lol :D

Archived