Family emergency refund?

outerbks

Our friends that are scheduled to cruise with us on Saturday, have a parent that has taken ill and not expected to live through the week. They have contacted Carnival and have not had any success resolving any rescheduling or refund. Does anyone have any experience or advice?:(

Assuming they did not buy the insurance here.

There is not much they can do.

We faced the same situation before our last cruise. And Unfortunately we were able to make our cruise. The trip was our Childrens birthday present. Fully paid for the whole nine yards. About a week before, I called our PVP and she said that we were basically out of luck if we did not go. She stated she would try to help us "Throw our selves on the mercy of the Court" with carnival and see if we could get a partial credit for a reschedule. She honestly did not hold out much hope for this to happen.

I empathize with your friends. Its not an easy place to be in.

Best Wishes to all.

If they insured their travels, then they'll be able to spend this important time with the family member who needs them, and then reschedule their travels for a later date - when personal schedules and emotions allow.

If their travels were not insured, it is my understanding that they'll most likely forfeit this sailing, and all expenses paid to the cruise line. I hope miracles will happen in regard to the ill relative.

If they are struggling with Carnival, I'm assuming they didn't have insurance... which is such a shame, most of the time, you do indeed forfeit your vacation without the insurance... it's SOOOO imporant to get. I'm so sorry for your friends, and I'm sure in the light of this sad time, this is the last thing they need :(

Thank you all for your sentiments. This was totally unexpected and they did not have insurance. Is there a possibility they can transfer, sell or gift there reservations to someone else?

Thank you for your sincere consideration.:(

Our friends that are scheduled to cruise with us on Saturday, have a parent that has taken ill and not expected to live through the week. They have contacted Carnival and have not had any success resolving any rescheduling or refund. Does anyone have any experience or advice?:(

Talk to your PVP. Even if you didn't purchase insurance, there's still a chance that you might be able to get a credit towards a future cruise. I spoke to my PVP about this a while ago, and she mentioned that you can write to the Reservations Administration department explaining the situation that prevented you from cruising. Even though you won't be entitled to a refund, this department will look at your individual circumstances and decide whether a credit towards a future cruise is appropriate.

If the cruise credit is granted, it's usually good for a year from the original sailing date. Once again there's no guarantee that you will get the credit, but under the circumstances it's definitely worth a shot...!

Thank you all for your sentiments. This was totally unexpected and they did not have insurance. Is there a possibility they can transfer, sell or gift there reservations to someone else?

Unfortunately you can't sell your reservation to someone else, as one name on the stateroom has to remain the same. You could substitute out part of the cabin but not everyone in the cabin.

if "your friends" want to "gift" it to me-i will take the reservation off their hands and pay whatever carnival charges by way of change penalties.

too bad they did not have insurance-it is precisely for the "unexpected" that you purchase insurance.

i

This is reason for travel insurance.

Even Carnival sells it.

No one can expect Carnival to refund a dime for a situation like this... at the very least, it would run contrary to their offering of Travel Insurance business, leaving the rish with Carnival, and not the person who did not want the insurance.

We all take our gamble in trying to save $100... and I'm sorry this bet worked against your friends.

I wish the Parent all the very best, and God bless. :)

Not sure if this iss a couple (2) or more in the cabin. If Carnival doesn't offer up a later cruise or cruise credit I would see about finding a friend (or friends) that could fill all but one spot in the cabin - one name on the original reservation has to stay on the reservation. They don't care if the person doesn't show up - just let them know when checking in that they aren't going to make it and leave it at that - you don't want them holding the ship for someone who has no intentions of showing. Maybe that person would be willing to pay for half the cost of the cruise or if the friends figure they are out the money anyhow let a friend go and let them pick up the change fee and tips. You would have to act fast - and I believe even though most cruise docs are electronic they would still have to pay the change fee - $50 last I heard.

At least the whole cruise wouldn't be lost.

Sorry to hear about your friends parent.

Unfortunately you can't sell your reservation to someone else, as one name on the stateroom has to remain the same. You could substitute out part of the cabin but not everyone in the cabin.

That's not necessarily true. For our November cruise, my MIL and FIL could not go due to illness with less than two weeks before sailing. They "gave" the cruise to my SIL and nephew, and they went in their place. Names, DOB's and addresses were all different. No problems with Carnival at all. Our PVP handled the change, the $100 was paid, and the trip went on without further ado. All you can do is call and ask. My condolences to your friends in their time of sadness.

Not sure if covers cruises, but I would definitely check. If purchased with a platinum or signature visa card, they might provide some sort of travel insurance. They have many benefits they don't tell you about.

This is a very good thought. If they paid by credit card, they may have some type of coverage that they were not aware of.

That's not necessarily true. For our November cruise, my MIL and FIL could not go due to illness with less than two weeks before sailing. They "gave" the cruise to my SIL and nephew, and they went in their place. Names, DOB's and addresses were all different. No problems with Carnival at all. Our PVP handled the change, the $100 was paid, and the trip went on without further ado. All you can do is call and ask. My condolences to your friends in their time of sadness.
Interesting - always heard that one name had to stay on reservation.

So had we, but when MIL had emergency heart surgery, we got on the phone to our PVP to find out what our options were. She actually recommended that we find another family member or friend to take the cruise instead. My SIL and her son were able to make arrangements to get off work and out of school to go, so they paid the $100 and took the cruise. I don't know if the fact that we had like 6 cabins booked, and we only changed the names on one of them had anything to do with it or not, but we did not have any problems changing all names in that one cabin.

If it's within a certain time frame window, you can change the name on the booking. There are a ton of posts on it on here quite often. And also, when booking our friends & family cruise, two of the people in our party didn't know who would be their cabinmates on the trip. So the PVP just marked theirs "TBA" on the name, and when they found someone, they added the name in at no charge.

If it's within a certain time frame window, you can change the name on the booking. There are a ton of posts on it on here quite often. And also, when booking our friends & family cruise, two of the people in our party didn't know who would be their cabinmates on the trip. So the PVP just marked theirs "TBA" on the name, and when they found someone, they added the name in at no charge.

What you are saying is different than changing both names on a reservation. You can TBA a name in a cabin and change it. In over 13 years as a TA, I have never seen any cruise let both names in a cabin be changed. That is a cancellation and rebook.

Even with insurance some things are still not covered.. I found this out with my parents. My mother is on dialysis and now is on the transplant list for a kidney.. Well since they know she will get call in the future any insurance company will not cover her at all..

So I call her PVP to ask about if she were to get called the night before there cruise.. What could they do about that.. He ask a supervisor, they said if that were to happen write a letter to the research department and explain every thing that happen with a letter from her Dr.

Most likely they would give them a credit on a future cruise. But there would be no refund. The credit would be what they spent on their cruise. For my parents this will work out fine.

They may be able to do that, by writing the research department and getting a credit for a future cruise.. Thats if they want a future cruise..

As others have mentioned, to petition for special consideration, they need to write to Carnival and include a copy of the death certificate.

So sorry they are going through this. You never know what can happen and that's why travel insurance is so important.

If Carnival allows a name change, at least one person in the stateroom must stay the same.

Archived