2 days in Vancouver--

DD

I have 2 days in Vancouver pre-cruise. We get in at 5:30 pm on the first night, the next day is free, and then we cruise out on the third day. DH hates bridges and I hate heights, so Capilano is pretty much out for us. I'm considering doing a day trip on the Whistler Mountaineer. It will take us from 7 am - 7 pm, so we really won't have time to do much else in Vancouver on day two. Do you think we'll regret that? Is Vancouver so loaded with things to do that we'll miss out on a major sightseeing opportunity? I'm intrigued by the Whistler Mountaineer--it's supposed to be some amazing scenery. It's pretty pricey though, approx $300 pp for the day trip.

Take the ferry to Victoria and go to Butchart Gardens. A UN World Heritage site that is breathtakingly beautiful.

We took the ferry, rented a car, stayed the night, driving tour thru the govt buildings in the old part of Victoria, then went to Butchart Gardens (get there early, 9 am or so)...took the car back, boarded the ferry (a pre-cruise appetizer) back to Vancouver where we met the group that we travel with.

I am cheap, so we did everything in Vancouver on public transportation, but shuttles and taxis are plentiful if you prefer.

http://www.butchartgardens.com/

Try googling Victoria, BC for a different options.

Thanks for taking time to reply. Sorry -- I should have mentioned that I've already done Victoria and Butchart Gardens. I agree, it is a great port. We did an overnight from Seattle through Clipper Vacations in 2006. I'd definitely recommend it.

I tried to make the subject line say 2 Days in Vacouver--spend one on Whistler Mountaineer but somehow as soon as I put the "--" in the message posted. I must have accidentally hit the Send button with my pinky without realizing it. I tried to edit, but you cannot edit subject lines.

This past season we stayed 3 days pre-cruise right in downtown Vancouver, with so much to see and do.

IMHO: With only one full day to explore, WHY would you waste the time and effort to leave the Vancouver area???

A priority would be Stanley Park.

After that, flip a coin..........plenty of great things to see and do.

Where are you staying?

There are lots of things to do in Vancouver.

We are going there in September for 2 days, and I wish I had planned for a whole week!

While we are there, we plan to visit:

Vancouver Aquarium

Stanley Park (bike/skate?)

Capilano Suspension Bridge

Lookout

Robson Street

Gastown

China Town

I would love to do a few other things, but time does not permit :(

why do you say that?

I just found it to be not that impressive and absolutely not worth the shake down they charge as admission. The suspension bridge is nice, but not anything super special. The "Treetop Adventure" is great if you're under 12. It would be ideal if they added a zipline. Concessions are more over-priced than usual.

I don't mind the tourist experience and paying more as a result, but I'd at least like a little bang for my buck.

And now that I know Lynn Canyon suspension bridge is free and has hiking trails, I'd go there if I had to do it all over again .

I am sorry that GMoney did not enjoy the Capilano Suspension Bridge. I am a local and pay to enjoy a visit to the Suspension Bridge almost every year. Yes Lynn Valley Suspension Bridge is free but it is much shorter but better if all you want to do is hike and are a serious hiker. I still prefer Capilano....

We will be able to walk to Stanley park from our lodging. However, we will be there before the free shuttle will begin operating.

Will we be able to see much by just walking? I am considering renting bikes, but I am not sure that everyone in our group would be open to that as our age spread is up to 70 and not phyically active. I know there is also a horse and carriage one hour tour. Would that be worthwhile?

We took the hop on/hop off trolley (2 day ticket) and jumped off where ever we wanted. We loved Stanley park, the aquarium (could have watched the belugas for hours!), enjoyed Gastown and the clock, etc.

I agree about the hop on-off bus / trolley. I used this on the in between day on B2B cruises just to get a taste of the city, for which it was very useful.

We will be able to walk to Stanley park from our lodging. However, we will be there before the free shuttle will begin operating.

Will we be able to see much by just walking? I am considering renting bikes, but I am not sure that everyone in our group would be open to that as our age spread is up to 70 and not phyically active. I know there is also a horse and carriage one hour tour. Would that be worthwhile?

You may be able to walk to it from your lodging, but if you've got people up to 70 who wouldn't do the bikes, they probably won't be able to walk it. The park is HUGE (1,000 acres)! Don't miss the gardens - they are free and beautiful. The hop on/hop off is very worth the price. The day of our cruise, we even dropped off our luggage at the pier and took another tour around the city before getting in the line to board the ship.

Archived