I want to change my cabin at the last minute...

JavaJunkie

My DH and I are going on the Maasdam Panama Canal cruise leaving 2/9/2008. We are in room 3319, and we just found our room listed as "one to avoid" in another thread on the board. We are going with my family, and they have two verandah suites, but the "best available" was a C when we decided to join them.

After reading about how small our room was, I decided to see if we could pay for an upgrade, or even just change rooms. Our TA told us that the ship was closed and there was nothing he could do, and when I called HA directly, they told me to call my TA. A search of HA's website shows some cabin availability on our cruise, so it seems like we should be able to change rooms. Should I call my TA again, or just wait until we check in and hope for a different room then?

Thanks!

You're right; a quick check of HAL's webpage shows lots of availability. Looks like the best available now is a DD.

Maybe your agent thought you wanted to switch to another C cabin? I guess if I believed the thread stating your booked cabin was truly awful (& I have no idea), I would again call my TA and get her to do her job.

But remember, a cabin one person has a problem with, may be fine for another. I would not panic.

We were upgraded once to a category C cabin. They are slightly smaller than the cabins on A Deck and Main Deck. And not quite as bright because of the glazing on the window that prevents people seeing in during the daytime. They can see in at night if a light is on in the room and the curtains are open. Those are the downsides. The upside is that the cabins on HAL are larger than other lines so a little smaller is still not really small. Also you are so close to an exit to the Promenade Deck that you can easily move to one side or the other to see scenery. So go to enjoy the cruise and don't panic if you can't change your cabin.

I can't imagine why 3319 would be considered a poor cabin. It appears to be below the rear corner of the show lounge which would ordinarily be a very quiet area, even when the shows are in progress. Not much foot stomping goes on during HAL show performances.:D

It is also beside an exit to the lower prom deck so would be easy and quick to get outside to see the sights from your very own wrap-around veranda. There may occasionally be some banging of that outside door but mostly during daytime hours and it is one of five doors on that side of the ship and not the most often used by any means.

I'd take that cabin anytime. The C cabins to avoid are the ones below the main galley area on the port side.

If you really want to change rooms, you have to keep checking availability and when there are cabins available, call your travel agent immediately and have her call HAL immediately. Sometimes the cabins pop up for only a short time. Don't count on changing at the ship. Usually the ships are full and nothing else is available.

Archived