Venice

MJ123

Venice (proper) is made up of many islands joined by a series of "foot" bridges. There are no cars, only vaporettos (water buses), private water taxis (expensive), traghetti (small gondolas that traverse from one side of the Grand Canal to the other) & the traditional "touristy" gondola. So, as you can see transporting yourself & your luggage is going to require an arrival by water & possibly a long walk dragging luggage over cobbled streets & up the steps of those foot bridges. If you chose a hotel near Piazzale Roma (the main transportation hub/train station), you can take an auto vehicle to transfer yourself & your luggage from the main cruise port. Although I don't suggest doing this some folks, in order to save money, take a room across the bridge on the "mainland" in Mestre. The hotels that are located on the Grand Canal & along other waterways have private landing stages for water taxi arrival. This requires minimal hassle w/ luggage. Of course, the price reflects this privilege. There are many nice smaller hotels that aren't on a canal that are more reasonably priced. If you chose one of those, you would have to take some sort of water transportation to the closest vaporetto stop/landing stage & pull your luggage the distance (whatever it may be). You see visitors doing this all the time. And it's not a lot of fun. I, personally, bite the bullet & splurge on hotels w/ a private landing stage. Being over 50 & female, I do not want the hassle w/ the luggage. On my last trip, I stayed at the Monaco & Grand Canal (we paid about $320 US per nt). They are located directly on the Grand Canal, right next to the famous Harry's Bar & just a stone's throw away from Piazza San Marco. There is a vaporetto stop (Calle Vallaresso) right at the hotel. It's only about 25 steps to the hotel's front door; & there are no steps to traverse. Couldn't be more convenient. If this might be your one & only visit to VCE, then you might consider pulling out all the stops & make it easier on yourself. There is nothing like being just a short stroll from "everything". If you aren't familiar w/ it, http://www.tripadvisor.com has very informative message boards & hotel reviews.

I second all that Becky from Liv4cruzin (above) said about the MONACO & GRAND HOTEL. This is one fine, fine location. This hotel is right at the mouth or main entrance to the canal. We also stayed there for a 3 day post cruise. The food is great also, & by the way, their restorante is open air, right on the canal.......great for breakfast and dinners. Ck it out on the web.

CIAO, :D

I too recommend the Hotel Monaco and Grand Canal. We have also stayed there and loved its position right on the Grand Canal. Eating breakfast outside and watching the traffic on the Canal is a treat in itself.

We have also stayed at the Hotel Metropole, on the other side of the San Marco Piazza and loved that hotel as well.

You cannot go wrong with either.

Jennie

When we stayed at the Hotel Monaco and Grand Canal we used a water taxi to take us from the Station to the hotel.

When we stayed at Hotel Metropole we came from the dock and again used a water taxi shared with another couple. When we left the hotel to go to the airport, we used a water taxi to take us there - I think it cost us 80Euro.

Jennie

In 2004, started a transatlantic cruise from Venice

Did extensive web browsing. If you want some useful web browsers please advise and will post

We selected a small Venetian family run hotel and highly recommend. Check out their web site

Hotel Plazzo Abadessa ¬¬¬¬. (Decided to treat ourselves since only one night-€230 Double standard room, having two beds) Palazzo Abadessa · Calle Priuli, Cannaregio 4011, 30131 Venice, Italy · Ph. +39.041.2413784 · Fax +39.041.5212236 http://www.abadessa.com/en/index.htm

I've been much appreciating the info on this post since our next cruise will include Venice (if I can ever decide between Regent and Oceania-- have been going round in circles abt that). One thing that no one's spoken about in the various hotel recs is the issue of quiet. We're horrible sleepers (even at best), so it's mightily impt to us that our accommodations (whether ship or land) be as quiet as possible. Will such a thing be possible in Venice? We also can't do queen beds-- too restless. (We hope to spend about 3 days in Venice either pre or post cruise. Haven't been there in over 4 decades and very eager for this next visit.) Thanks much!

Poss,

Venice becomes very quiet after about 6pm when all the tourists leave for home. We have always had quiet rooms there and usually in Italy you do get single beds, so you will be fine. Each time we have been in Venice (3 times) we have had our own beds and yet we love a king size bed but they don't seem to have them in that city.

Jennie

At the M & GC, we had a room toward the back (as in not on the G. Canal) specifically because of noise concerns. I'm a light sleeper. I realize the city quietens down in the evenings. But from what I've read on various message boards, rooms on the large canals are subjected to gondola traffic & sometimes singing until late night. Maybe a canal front room on the highest floor would be okay. Except for the fact that hotels are mid-rise height at best.

At the M & GC, we had a room toward the back (as in no water view) specifically because of noise concerns. I'm a light sleeper. I realize the city quietens down in the evenings. But from what I've read on various message boards, rooms on the large canals are subjected to gondola traffic & sometimes singing until late night. Maybe a canal front room on the highest floor would be okay. Except for the fact that hotels are mid-rise height at best.

At the M & GC, we had a room toward the back (as in not on the G. Canal) specifically because of noise concerns. I'm a light sleeper. I realize the city quietens down in the evenings. But from what I've read on various message boards, rooms on the large canals are subjected to gondola traffic & sometimes singing until late night. Maybe a canal front room on the highest floor would be okay. Except for the fact that hotels are mid-rise height at best.

Hotel Plazzo Abadessa- We had a room over the courtyard, twin beds. I am a very light sleeper and do not remember any noise

DEAN

Just want to thank everyone for this very usefull information. Venice is indeed and expensive stop we are comtemplating but well worth the investment I would say.

What, no cars. I love it already. :)

Venice doesn't have to be expensive....I stayed there in Nov 2006 for 2.5 days...ways to save money are: take water buses..buy a 3-day pass; I stayed at Casa Sant'Andrea...a converted monastary...quite comfortable with a nice breakfast. I didn't eat in any restaurants...preferring to buy 'to go' type meals....

I'm not cheap, I was by myself, so really didn't need to have nice dinners, etc..did that on the ship...:p ....do try the gelatto....delicious and abundant!!

Also, the time of year dictates hotel costs....and probably the cost of meals..I was there during the down time...so I would imagine that the hotel rates were lower than at high season.

Enjoy your stay...I love Venice and hope to return someday.

Venice doesn't have to be expensive....I stayed there in Nov 2006 for 2.5 days...ways to save money are: take water buses..buy a 3-day pass; I stayed at Casa Sant'Andrea...a converted monastary...quite comfortable with a nice breakfast. I didn't eat in any restaurants...preferring to buy 'to go' type meals....

I'm not cheap, I was by myself, so really didn't need to have nice dinners, etc..did that on the ship...:p ....do try the gelatto....delicious and abundant!!

Also, the time of year dictates hotel costs....and probably the cost of meals..I was there during the down time...so I would imagine that the hotel rates were lower than at high season.

Enjoy your stay...I love Venice and hope to return someday.

Thanks Ladysail2, this could be the tip that will help us decide. I really want to stay on in Venice but DW wants to continue on to Rome. Was wary of the cost. This hotel looks like great value. Live like the locals for a few days. Planning to be there mid October.

The Antiche Figure is not accessible directly by land taxi. It is right across the Grand Canal from the train station. There is also a major waterbus stop just outside the train station. A large bridge close by will take you over the canal to the hotel.

On our trip to Venice, the Regatta docked at Stazione Maritima, and a water taxi to the Antiche Figure took only a few minutes, docking just steps away from the front door of the hotel.

If you'd like to take a gondola ride, there is a large gondola stand in front of the hotel. It's also a great people-watching spot, with crowds coming and going from the train station. The hotel has some outside tables, and we would relax there in the evening with drinks they brought us from the bar inside the lobby.

Thanks for the recommendation. How do you get to Hotel Antiche Figure? Is it accessible by land taxi?

We (myself, my DW, and two teenage children) stayed at the Antiche Figure for two nights before our Venice cruise departure two years ago. I thought it was great for our purposes. Excellent location, very friendly and helpful staff, and right on the Grand Canal.

We took the bus from the airport to the bus terminal. Very simple, and very economical. From there, we hoofed it to the hotel. Couple of small bridges to cross over, but certainly do-able if you are in reasonably decent shape, and did not over-pack. The walk takes maybe 10-15 minutes. Taking the water taxi directly from the airport to the hotel is certainly more convenient, but is very expensive. Leaving the hotel, we walked to the bus terminal again, and caught a cab right to the ship. Many of the ships have regular shuttles from the bus terminal to the port. If you are looking to save some money, that's a pretty good way to do it. If money is no object, knock yourself out with the water taxis

FYI, you can't really walk to and from the cruise ship terminal, and there is no land taxi, bus or shuttle service past the bus terminal onto the lagoon.

For getting around Venice, you must buy a vaporetto ticket IMO. Great system, and provides wonderful views as you go. Have a great time. Venice is remarkable!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived