Booked the Millinneum, should I be worried?

fun2travel

I have booked the Millinneum for Alaska, June 2008. I keep reading about these pods problems. Should I cancel and rebook on the Veendam (HAL), whose dates and routes would correspond with my flights I already have?

I have a nice balcony room on Millie, I am sure I would not have that great of a selection this late on HAL, it would be oceanview at best. That being said though, a balcony room would not do us much good if we can't get anywhere due to pod problem.

I have been on Millie before to the Med and did not have a problem, but I keep seeing mention of it now and wonder, should I jump ship?

I also was reading all the pod threads before we booked our two upcoming cruises. I think we booked them about 8 months ago, or we booked the Millie about 8 months ago. In that time there has not been a pod problem. There was going on when we were booking and the result of that was a slightly longer cruise. I don't consider that to be a problem!:D

Celebrity is not the only cruise line that uses pods and they all have the same problems. I decided not to worry about.

I also was reading all the pod threads before we booked our two upcoming cruises. I think we booked them about 8 months ago, or we booked the Millie about 8 months ago. In that time there has not been a pod problem. There was going on when we were booking and the result of that was a slightly longer cruise. I don't consider that to be a problem!:D

Celebrity is not the only cruise line that uses pods and they all have the same problems. I decided not to worry about.

Not a pod problem in 8 months? That is good news. I do like Millie............

Very true but Celebrity is the only one who uses these types of pods. From what I have read, the other manufacturers of propulsion pods aren't experience these problems.

I am booked on the Infinity in August. Yes they have a history of problems but there is no way to determine when it will happen again. What has happened in the past is that the ship travels at a reduced speed which may result in shorter port visits or possible skipped ports. This will be the case until they can repair it in dry dock as it's not something that can be repaired at sea.

It has happened a few times in the past, you can read all you want on the sticky on the "pod" issues at the top of the page.

Only you can determine if you are willing to take a chance. The odds of it happening to any one person are small.

I strongly disagree with those who are telling you to ignore the potential problems. However, please note the following:

1. The chances of pod problems affecting YOUR particular cruise are relatively small.

2. Also, even if pod problems do strike, it does not mean that your trip is necessarily ruined. The ports in Alaska are relatively close together, and it is very possible that your ship could still make all of them (possibly losing an hour or two in port, but also possibly sticking to the scheduled itinerary), even if they are forced to slow down because of a pod issue. And if one port is missed, you can still have a great cruise for the other ports.

It really comes down to your personality. Are you a gambler? Are you willing to roll the dice on the nominal risk that something could go wrong? Don't forget, something could go wrong on the HAL ship, too, even if it is not pod-related... Are you somebody who rolls with the punches if something goes wrong? Could you still enjoy a cruise if there was some changes made to the itinerary due to pods, or are you the sort of person for whom if everything does not go perfectly, it is a tragedy?

This is a reminder that we request ALL discussions pertaining to the M-Class pod issues be discussed on this thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=519029&page=10.

Therefore I am closing this thread to further discussion.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Archived