Venice - Day One

MJ123

we set sail after staying one night on Insignia before sailing. Oceania is not offering any shore excursion for the day of embarkation. Does anyone know how you disembark the ship from cruise terminal to any touristy stops? Does Oceania offer a free shuttle?

Thanks,

There's water busses that run from the cruise ship terminal to San Marco Plaza on a very regular schedule. Or walk over to Piazzale Roma where the "busses" run down the Grand Canal. Buy a day pass and ride all day!!!

As Cathi has mentioned it is so easy to use the Vaporettos in Venice. A day pass is a good idea. There is a booth close to Piazza Roma where we bought our 3 day passes.

Get off anywhere and just walk around. You may get lost but not for long. It a great walking city and there is so much to see.

Enjoy! It is our favourite city and even though we have been there 3 times we always want to return again and again.

Jennie

It makes a little difference which terminal you are in. If in Maritima which is the large ship terminal there is a port shuttle to P. Roma where u can get the Vaporetto. Afer hours on our cruise Oceania ran their own bus but this was not advertised so I am not sure if this is common. From the other terminal (S. Basillio, if my memory is right) there is a Vaporetto stop so u can use it directly.

• 1 year later...
It makes a little difference which terminal you are in. If in Maritima which is the large ship terminal there is a port shuttle to P. Roma where u can get the Vaporetto. Afer hours on our cruise Oceania ran their own bus but this was not advertised so I am not sure if this is common. From the other terminal (S. Basillio, if my memory is right) there is a Vaporetto stop so u can use it directly.

Hey John,

My wife and I are going to be on the Regatta in April 2010 out of Venice. I'm getting mixed replies as to whether Oceania has a shuttle from the Piazzale Roma to the terminal. Do you remember? I believe the Regatta will be docked at the San Basilio terminal. Any information would be appreciated.

Jerry

I would think only Oceania can tell you if they will have a shuttle. San Basilio is one of the few areas in Venice accessible by both road and water taxis.

You should be able to get a taxi cab from Piazzale Roma to the cruise terminal at San Basilio.

You could also take the No 2 Vaporetto from Piazzale Roma to San Basilio. The No 2 continues on to San Marco. The Vaporetto stop is on Fondamenta Zattere al Ponte Longo just over the Ponte Molin from the terminal. Be careful, the no 2 runs in both directions. The 61 runs from PR to San basilio and on to San marco and the Lido. The 62 goes in the opposite direction. I think the 61 and 62 are weekdays only.

Note that Venice is so small that for sightseeing it is only 1000 yards from the Cruise terminal at SB to the Accademia bridge and another 1000 yards to St. Mark's .

Archived