Sign and sail questions- Not wanting drinks to appear on the bill

wizdiz

I'm leaving on the liberty on March 15th. My parents yesterday tell me since I booked the vacation myself with a friend that they decieded that they want to pay for my sign and sail bill on the ship. Well my parents think if you have 2 drinks a day you drink too much. Is it possible to charge just drinks to a different credit card so the drinks just won't show up on the sign and sail bill they are paying? Or will I be better off buying bar credits before I leave? Thanks for any info.

What a question loaded with time bombs!

You're going to find many parents on here [including me] who are going to say: "If your parents are underwriting your cruise, you sorta owe them the courtesy of complying with their financing rules."

Now, I do not share their opinions about "drinking too much", but if they're footing your bill, keep the expenses within their rules. You can have friends buy you drink coupons if you must.

My question to you would be: how old are you? If you're under 21 then drinking is a no-no on board. This is also something I do not agree with because it sets up a two-tiered "adult". But there's questions of legal liability to consider, and not simply you sneaking a beer-buzz.

If you're cruising to the Caribbean there isn't any place you could go [save Key West] where the legal drinking age is over 18, and many places where the only picture ID you need would come with has George Washington, Abe Lincon, Al Hamilton or Andy Jackson on it.

Drink there if you must and sober up on board.

But since you're a youngster, drink safely and in moderation. You have a lifetime to drink unless you do too much now. No sense in you becoming Natalee Holloway.

I agree. IF OVER 21 buy Bar coupons thru Carnival. Would have to pretty quick since you are sailing on the 15th of March but can be done. Or just use your roommates account and pay him. But be prepared to pay him at the end of cruise for your part of his bill. (Ides of March)

< Perantial Disclaimer >

If your under 21 DONT DRINK !

<if your of age>

Buy drink coupons, just remember that some small amounts may show up. (if the drink is a dollar or more over coupon value, some bartenders will charge the difference)

or as stated by others have your friend put your drinks on their S&S and have them 'buy' your drinks. (careful it adds up) and then settle up as necessary between the two of you. (perhaps you would put a 'certin amount' of cash on their S&S to cover your drinks.)

~~BTW- I did not get the impression that the OP was trying to 'trick' mom and dad into paying for the drinks, just did not want it to show up at all..

~~Also, is Mom and Dad going? if not, how are they planning on paying for your S&S, the card holder must be present to use a credit card. Other wise they could buy FunShip Dollars thru BonVoyage (carnival.com) and then you just pay for anything over the amount of the 'gifted FunShip Dollars'.

Ditto if over the 21 part, and what about agreeing a budget with your parents for their generous gift and asking for that gift in cash pre-cruise so you can manage your own finances....

And of course for what it's worth from a mama too, be very careful and remember to stay in charge of yourself, don't give up total control to a bottle OK? You really are on your own for a cruise and far away from home...

Nuff said, sorry for the mama moment :cool:

Ditto if over the 21 part, and what about agreeing a budget with your parents for their generous gift and asking for that gift in cash pre-cruise so you can manage your own finances....

And of course for what it's worth from a mama too, be very careful and remember to stay in charge of yourself, don't give up total control to a bottle OK? You really are on your own for a cruise and far away from home...

Nuff said, sorry for the mama moment :cool:

I'm leaving on the liberty on March 15th. My parents yesterday tell me since I booked the vacation myself with a friend that they decieded that they want to pay for my sign and sail bill on the ship. Well my parents think if you have 2 drinks a day you drink too much. Is it possible to charge just drinks to a different credit card so the drinks just won't show up on the sign and sail bill they are paying? Or will I be better off buying bar credits before I leave? Thanks for any info.

Since you are 35 according to another post of yours, you will be allowed to buy drinks.

If you cannot agree to your parents wishes, [and at 35, you certainly have that option] do not accept their gift under false pretenses.

You will only have one S&S and all purchases go on it. Your friend could put it all on his/hers. Or you can buy the bar credits [does that go on the S&S?]

But if you accept your parents gift, don't lie to them too. At 35 you're supposed to be a fully mature adult. Act accordingly.

Dan

I agree. IF OVER 21 buy Bar coupons thru Carnival. Would have to pretty quick since you are sailing on the 15th of March but can be done. Or just use your roommates account and pay him. But be prepared to pay him at the end of cruise for your part of his bill. (Ides of March)

I had bar coupons last cruise and each time I used them they showed up on my S&S with a net cost of -0-. So I'm not sure the coupons would "hide" the evidence.

LOL oh no not trying to get my parents pay for my drinks. I'm over 30. The only reason for me wanting to do this is their views on drinking. I've travelled with them before and just know their views on drinking. I personally don't feel if you have 3-4 drinks in an entire day there is nothing wrong with it. I already tried to tell them don't worry about it it was my vacation and wanted to pay but they took that as an insult. So I guess will buy bar credits. Thanks for all the info so fast!

Another option would be to decline your parents' generous offer. That way you can live your life on your own terms without having to feel that the money comes with strings. Your profile says you are 35 years old, so it would seem that you should be able to feel justified in living your life however you want. But I guess parents will always be parents.

If having two drinks a day while cruising is drinking too much, I'm in big trouble, lol.

To the OP, I guess we posted at the same time, and you've come up with an acceptable plan. Have a good cruise.

If you are over 21, and your parents aren't coming with you, how will they be paying for the S&S? Will they write you a cheque when you come home? They need to be present in order for you to use their VISA card, I believe. Either that or they give you cash to put down on the S&S.

If they're paying you back when you get home, just use your VISA card, accidentally 'forget' the bill on the ship, and just show them your VISA statement as proof that you spent that much.

And nope, I'm not a parent... yet. :D

If having two drinks a day while cruising is drinking too much, I'm in big trouble, lol.

Same. While not cruising, as well.

My mother, at 80+, still asks me if I'm sure I'm not drinking too much when I pour a second half-glass of wine at txgvg. And I'm pushing 50.

Moderation, mother. It's the newest thing. "The bee's knees" as it were.

You'd be better off saying "thank you very much for your kind offer, but I'll pay my own way"...after all, you're 35!

(I'm a Mama...of two adults, 27 and almost 22.)

LOL oh no not trying to get my parents pay for my drinks. I'm over 30. The only reason for me wanting to do this is their views on drinking. I've travelled with them before and just know their views on drinking. I personally don't feel if you have 3-4 drinks in an entire day there is nothing wrong with it. I already tried to tell them don't worry about it it was my vacation and wanted to pay but they took that as an insult. So I guess will buy bar credits. Thanks for all the info so fast!

Keep in mind that the bar credits will still show up on your S&S, if the bartender rings up your drink correctly. On our last cruise, we were suprised to see all our drinks listed with either 000 in the price column, or with the cost on and then deducted. They WILL ask for your S&S card with the coupon. Depending on when you're sailing, how about asking the 'rents for an on-board credit? That way they can pay without having their feelings hurt, and you can enjoy your vacation as you wish.

Archived